Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eating in the 50's in the UK....

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

In the 80's very often a starter option at a wedding or dinner dance was a tiny glass of orange juice. Made from concentrate.

I remember those tasteless Dunnes own brand pizzas. Utter cardboard. I remember buying a pack of Tayto in the clear bag for 8pence. I'd have 2p left from my pocket money and would get 4 gobstoppers at a halfpenny each.

Things like monster munch and stinger bars however lost out in the E-number restrictions and were never the same since. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

haha - was it Wínkles you had ? - used to love them on Sundays evening tea lol :)

No, it was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)

lol, dammit. F and then aggot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

looksee wrote: »
    No, it was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_(food)

lol, dammit. F and then aggot

haha :D

brains Faggots

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How did you get away with that? Oh yes, the a.

looksee wrote: »
    How did you get away with that? Oh yes, the a.

we are all adults on boards (well most!) and have heard the naughty words and offensive labels given to certain type of people - so why do they star out the words like that? - I dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

maybe it was because they had a tougher life - i cannot see how people can say that cancers these days have nothing to do with additives, pollution, microwave ovens, smoking, and other stuff.

of course food must have been better then back in the day without additives, E numbers, pesticides and all that

True, the rise of cancer has to be down to something.

I know genetics play a huge part but like you say lifestyle choices, environment, diet can also have a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The most significant factor is that we're living longer ...

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/02/04/why-are-cancer-rates-increasing/

Alun wrote: »

https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/02/04/why-are-cancer-rates-increasing/

and because we are living longer we have more chance of catching something / having something that could kill us ? - if you died in your 40's years ago then who knows if you lived whether you would have caught cancer in your 50's onwards? .. theres no way of knowing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Coffe was that liquid Camp stuff - I think they still do it over here in Ireland but it was called irel or something like that. Liquid chicory it was ..

its called starbucks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Alun wrote: »

Plus the increased rate of diagnosis, also mentioned in the report you linked.
    We're now diagnosing and treating cancers that are benign, and may in the past have gone entirely unnoticed throughout a person's life.
    We're looking closer, so we're finding more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Neyite wrote: »
    In the 80's very often a starter option at a wedding or dinner dance was a tiny glass of orange juice. Made from concentrate.

I remember those tasteless Dunnes own brand pizzas. Utter cardboard. I remember buying a pack of Tayto in the clear bag for 8pence. I'd have 2p left from my pocket money and would get 4 gobstoppers at a halfpenny each.

Things like monster munch and stinger bars however lost out in the E-number restrictions and were never the same since. :(

At the Dropping Well in Milltown a glass of orange is still offered as a starter on the menu. It looks really odd, particularly as it's a pub that serves food.

I still like Prawn cocktail starters - but you dont see too many places do that as starters now ... never have been a soup person .. its just flavoured water so I never order that for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I still like Prawn cocktail starters - but you dont see too many places do that as starters now ... never have been a soup person .. its just flavoured water so I never order that for starters

Well, technically, that describes all food ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

disagree slightly - if you have slaved over cooking and you dish up and your kids have their elbows on the table I think it height of rudeness whether there space or not - sit up straight , look like your enjoying your dinner eat properly , dont pick at it or move it around the plate , eat nicely and dont ram it all in - be thankful that you have food - many other people are starving around the world, be appreciative that someone has taken the time to slave over a hot cooker and made the food for you and put the knife and fork neatly together on the plate at the end of the meal!

AND CLEAR YOUR PLATE! never leave anything...or you stay sitting at the table until your plate is empty

The soup I make is far more than flavoured water! Thick and rich with vegetables and pulses, herbs and spices...

Graces7 wrote: »
    The soup I make is far more than flavoured water! Thick and rich with vegetables and pulses, herbs and spices...

still not mad keen on soup in any shape or form - reminds me of being little with an illness like colds or sickness and the ol' tin of soup came out ... would never have thought of it being used as a starter one day

We're certainly not famous for our cuisine in this part of the world. Very bland for the most part.

In the 50s and before it's all we had.

I remember my granny telling me how getting an orange was considered a big deal.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We're certainly not famous for our cuisine in this part of the world. Very bland for the most part.

In the 50s and before it's all we had.

I remember my granny telling me how getting an orange was considered a big deal.:D

When I was a child getting an orange was big news around the neighbourhood. Thank goodness we have moved on from the 'make do' enforced on us through a scarcity of foodstuffs and poverty. Mothers worked marvels with what was available but, despite rose coloured glasses on many, the food was not wholesome; many of us were undernourished and lacking in many of the necessary minerals and vitamins. Food was bland by necessity and restricted options.

still not mad keen on soup in any shape or form - reminds me of being little with an illness like colds or sickness and the ol' tin of soup came out ... would never have thought of it being used as a starter one day

Main course chunky soups are awesome .. not.... TINNED.oh except for cream of tomato ;) aldi do that brilliantly

and because we are living longer we have more chance of catching something / having something that could kill us ? - if you died in your 40's years ago then who knows if you lived whether you would have caught cancer in your 50's onwards? .. theres no way of knowing

I was thinking about this thread a while ago.

As far as I read there was not one mention of the War and its effect on life and health in the UK, adding to the rigours of rationing ( which I know you had here after the War)

People';s lives were stressful and precarious with bombing raids, losing homes and all they possessed, children being evacuated, family killed in raids and service. Add poor health care.

I suspect that the raised death rate in the UK in the late 40s and 50s was due to this, to stress and deprivation ?

My maternal grandmother died of badly treated diabetes in the early 50s. I saw here only once when she must have been dying, in bed at home when I was little . The women near me said to each other<"She lost both her legs to sugar.." and I stared at the neat flat bedclothes. I am working on a book on that period and know she was a strong healthy soul who birthed we think 8 but raised 3.

So many men missing limbs. Hard hard times

• Advertisement

I know genetics play a huge part but like you say lifestyle choices, environment, diet can also have a say.

smoking, drugs...

smoking, drugs...

True but smoking isn't as prevalent as it once was though.

I remember reading somewhere that close to 70% of the adult population of Britain smoked in the 40s and 50s. But yet cancer rates per captia are higher today.

Main course chunky soups are awesome .. not.... TINNED.oh except for cream of tomato ;) aldi do that brilliantly

yuk - looks like sick ... in fact with a lot of tv shows like casualty and holby to make it look realistic like they are really puking they have a mouth of chunky soup just before the scene is recorded and spit it out just as the camera rolls! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I remember reading somewhere that close to 70% of the adult population of Britain smoked in the 40s and 50s. But yet cancer rates per captia are higher today.

the people who were smoking in the 50s( and 60s,70s,80s) are the ones with cancer.

did they even have the filter tipped cigarettes back in them days. Never forget my grandad used to rip the filters off his cigarettes before smoking them - he lived to 84

did they even have the filter tipped cigarettes back in them days. Never forget my grandad used to rip the filters off his cigarettes before smoking them - he lived to 84

filter tipped cigs only came about commercially in the 1950s.

the people who were smoking in the 50s( and 60s,70s,80s) are the ones with cancer.

70% of that generation didn't die from cancer though.

The US Sergeant General stated that only something like 30% of lifetime smokers contract and die from a cancer as a direct result of smoking.

Smokers are more likely to die from strokes and heart issues.

filter tipped cigs only came about commercially in the 1950s.

as early as that ? - thats interesting. no, i would have thought it would have been later on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, but they smoked heavily long before the 50s.

• Advertisement

as early as that ? - thats interesting. no, i would have thought it would have been later on

No that is when they were introduced commercially. Not when they became universal. my granny was still smoking untipped woodbines up until the 90's.

Advertisement