Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The WHO wants to prevent all women of "child-bearing age" from drinking alcohol

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭appledrop

Coming home from work listing to radio and I really am wondering have we gone back to 1950s.

Husband not allowed in with his partner when she miscarried, even though Maternity hospitials told to stop restricting partners.

Then next headline was that new National Matetnity hospitial won't be owned by state as religious organisation will only allow them rent the land.

Handmaid's Tail here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,962 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

NIMAN wrote: »
    They don't "want", they are advising.

The same advice that's been floating around for, literally, decades.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who and holohan etc are dead set against alcohol it's pretty obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

People are free to disregard advice. I’ve been doing it for years.

People are free to disregard advice. I’ve been doing it for years.

Ahah - but what if I advise you to keep doing that? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I never listen to anything Roger Daltrey has to say.

Watch your backs!

Porklife wrote: »
    It absolutely is about controlling women. As a recently pregnant woman I can strongly say I've never felt under more scrutiny or judgement from ordering a coffee in starbucks and being asked should I have decaf instead, to getting funny looks in the park drinking a non alcoholic beer on a sunny day. It's my body, my baby and my choice.
    There are millions of women of child bearing age conceiving and delivering perfectly healthy babies who drink alcohol. Why shouldn't a 25 year old girl enjoy a glass of wine? It's absolutely ridiculous.
    Drinking sensibly is highly advisable and should be advocated but that applies to everyone and not just women of a certain age.
    It's only advising women to avoid drinking alcohol during childbearing years - not forcing them to. I don't get the "my body" thing either - it's irrelevant, they're referring to the foetus's or potential foetus's body. And yeah plenty of my friends drank the odd beer and smoked the odd fag when they were pregnant, and I don't blame them one bit - I know I would too. I'm just saying the opening post is completely misrepresenting what the story is about. I'd only consider it bad form if the mother kept getting drunk (as FAS is a risk) but not the odd drink, that's just being human.

honeyjo wrote: »
    Welcome to Gilead. Blessed be the fruit
    Ah here, we can't work, read/write, own property, drive, have bank accounts, choose partners or stay single, use contraception, are forced into surrogacy via rape? It's a recommendation, which people won't take seriously - that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

This is kite flying for the future tax hikes on alcohol to come. Paint an evil picture on alcohol and it will soften the impact of large tax hikes.

There is a MOMMA bill being proposed by Democrats in the US that would see 1000%+ increase on tobacco tax. I don't think alcohol is going to escape such treatment.

Advertisement