Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The interesting Etymology thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Alun wrote: »
    I think that distinction arose after the Norman conquest in England where the olde English speaking Anglo Saxons were the ones who farmed the animals, whereas it was the French speaking Normans who ate them?
    Yes, this is correct.
    There are loads of examples of word pairs with similar meaning in the English language. A lot of these are due to the "common" sounding variant having an Anglo-Saxon/Germanic origin with the "posh" variant having a Norman/French origin.

It's amazing how the outcome of a decisive battle almost 1,000 years ago still has this impact the English language today. To me, these word pairs are probably the most distinguishing features of the language.
    Yes, English is basically a graft of French vocabulary onto a Germanic language. I'm not aware of any others (though no doubt they exist) that are so blended between two different language families.

One of my favourite examples of a pair like that where the meaning shifted is demand, which originally meant to ask. A peasant would ask, but an aristocrat would demand, and so the meaning of demand shifted to something more imperious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That great bible of etymology, etymonline.com, gives this:

Shambles: early 15c., "meat or fish market," from schamil "table, stall for vending" (c. 1300), from Old English scamol, scomul "stool, footstool" (also figurative); ... In English, sense evolved from "place where meat is sold" to "slaughterhouse" (1540s), then figuratively "place of butchery" (1590s), and generally "confusion, mess" (1901, usually in plural).
    I've heard that in France they use the word Brexit to refer to an omnishambles.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Funny that shambles is plural but as a word it takes an indeterminate article.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

One of my favourite etymologies is that for the word "clue". It derives from the word "clew" i.e. a ball of yarn. Why? Think Ariadne, Theseus, Knossos, the Labyrinth, the Minotaur, etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

"the core of the poodle"

From a German phrase, das pudles Kern. It's essentially "to get to the root of the issue", the kernel.

Roughly, it comes from Faust, where the devil appears disguised as a dog, only to reveal itself later.

We need to get to the core of this poodle immediately! Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

KevRossi wrote: »
    The 'blue men of the desert' certainly is/was a thing. Their robes used to be dyed with indigo from the Indigofera plant. It originated in India and was handled across much of North Africa, becoming a sign of status amongst Tuareg and various Berber ethnic groups. The dye ran into the skin and tinged it blue against the olive complexion of the Tuareg.

It has generally been replaced by synthetic dyes that do not run, so the effect isn't seen as much today. I spent time in the Sahel with them 30 years ago and it was fairly common back then. The traditional indigo dyed robes are effectively 'Sunday best' clothes these days and most people would rarely wear them.

Tuareg's are a very interesting bunch, the men wear a head covering and would almost never take it off in the presence of strangers, the women tend to go bareheaded or with a light covering. The women are also far more highly empowered compared to most other ethnic groups in the area, but on the other hand they have a very strong clan and caste system. Their way of life has changed almost totally in the past 50 years.

I don't think that is it.

Colour is weird in irish. Its idiomatic.

When referring to fur on an animal the word for red is RUE ....but on a door or anything its dearg.

Gorm in norse ...when referring to the skin means black. Its nothing to do with robes ...i think it also refers to leather. Like black leather you use gorm for. (could be wrong).

Also in irish ....fear dubh ...means a dark haired man.
    There are a lot of people saying fear dubh means devil and that is why its not used.

But the THING IS fear dubh IS used all the time to refer to people with dark hair ....who are white.

Colours are WEIRD in irish ...and the words for each colour change according to what you are referring to .

Modern Irish for example uses different words for reg and green depending on what they are for.

Uaine is green for artificial things...and glas is green for natural things. The green on the irish FLAG is referred to as UAINE ..not glas.

When you REFER to a person with grey hair. You LITERALLY SAY A GREY MAN.

Chonaic me fear liath....I saw a grey man. Ta si rua ...she is red. Obviously we mean i saw a grey HAIRED man and she is a red head. But that is just the idiom of how the language works.

Also ....white people are not called duine ban...but duinne geal literally erm BRIGHT people. White win is not called ban ..its geal again.

Oraiste is not the COLOUR orange ...flannbhui is and an orange man is ....fear bui....which most people would think is yellow man.

Also when referring to a black dog ...you would say MADRA GORM. And skin is the same.

So red can be ...dearg or rua depending on what it is ....glas or uaine is green depending and gorm or dubh is black ...

And prob more stuff is diff too. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Colour is weird in irish. Its idiomatic.
    And Pink is Bándearg it's reddish-white

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Inveigle, (in-VAY-gul) a word that dates from the 16th century, refers to the act of using clever talk, trickery, or flattery either to persuade somebody to do something or to obtain something, but etymologically the word is linked to eyesight—or the lack thereof. Inveigle came to English from the Anglo-French verb enveegler, meaning "to blind or hoodwink someone," from the adjective enveugle, meaning "blind." Enveugle derives from the Medieval Latin ab oculis, a phrase which literally translates to "lacking eyes."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

And Pink is Bándearg it's reddish-white

And Pink in English has only been used as a word for the colour since the 17th century.

The colour was named after a flower.

So "that colour looks like the flower Pink" came before "that flower is pink cloured"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

mikhail wrote: »
    Yes, this is correct.

Yes, English is basically a graft of French vocabulary onto a Germanic language. I'm not aware of any others (though no doubt they exist) that are so blended between two different language families.

One of my favourite examples of a pair like that where the meaning shifted is demand, which originally meant to ask. A peasant would ask, but an aristocrat would demand, and so the meaning of demand shifted to something more imperious.

French? Are you joking? If English is a combination of anything its Germanic + Latin/Greek.

Google every word you typed in that post and see that its pretty much all Germanic + Greco/Roman. French has traces of grammatical influence, but its not at all similar with English. Loanwords are the main influence of French on English.

No idea if this is really true or not, all I know is that after I heard the story I just like to believe it.

Apparently when the first English (cough) "explorers" :rolleyes: landed in Australia a European man had never seen a kangaroo before. One of the sailors managed to gesture to a native Aborigine, pointing and got his question "what is that thing called" understood despite the language barrier. The native replied "kangaroo".

The tribe in question had no written language or alphabet at that time, so it was a number of years before it was discovered that "kan-ga-roo" translates as "I haven't a clue!"

Maybe it's BS, I just like the story too much to research it properly and disappoint myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

French? Are you joking? If English is a combination of anything its Germanic + Latin/Greek.

Google every word you typed in that post and see that its pretty much all Germanic + Greco/Roman. French has traces of grammatical influence, but its not at all similar with English. Loanwords are the main influence of French on English.

Not true. French has had a way bigger influence on English than Latin and Greek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

Mimon wrote: »
    Not true. French has had a way bigger influence on English than Latin and Greek.

I assume that you're misconstruing Normans as French, when in reality they are Vikings, closer to the Anglo-Saxons in culture and language than the Gallic French.

I assume that you're misconstruing Normans as French, when in reality they are Vikings, closer to the Anglo-Saxons in culture and language than the Gallic French.

The Normans spoke Norman French which indeed heavily influenced English!

The Vikings who settled in Normandy married mostly French women so they quickly took on French culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_language

No idea if this is really true or not, all I know is that after I heard the story I just like to believe it.

Apparently when the first English (cough) "explorers" :rolleyes: landed in Australia a European man had never seen a kangaroo before. One of the sailors managed to gesture to a native Aborigine, pointing and got his question "what is that thing called" understood despite the language barrier. The native replied "kangaroo".

The tribe in question had no written language or alphabet at that time, so it was a number of years before it was discovered that "kan-ga-roo" translates as "I haven't a clue!"

Maybe it's BS, I just like the story too much to research it properly and disappoint myself.

Afaik....the abboriginals had the same word for dog as the english....despite both never interacting in previous 40 odd thousand years

So yous will not think im mad
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbabaram_language

• Advertisement

Afaik....the abboriginals had the same word for dog as the english....despite both never interacting in previous 40 odd thousand years

Interesting, thanks for that. Looks like a total coincidence.

Dog seems to be a bit of a mystery of where it came from and why it surplanted the word hund.

Best theory I've heard is that dog originally meant a strong muscly type of dog but it somehow became the main word for all dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Just to be pedantic, as noted in the citation, there are multiple Australasian languages, many of which are not mutually understandable.
    Academic linguistics have built careers on the recollections of a handful (if lucky) speakers, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyirbal_language

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The etmology of the various names for black people has been discussed earlier. Here is an article about a change to that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/13/person-of-colour-added-to-irish-lexicon

Interesting to see it happening in our time.

😄

Hope this one is true - I never did check it myself.

Back before printing news papers and so on - the news of the day had to be left in places where as many people as possible would see it. So it was often left displayed at junctions where any three or more road would meet.

The word for a "way" was "Via" and the word for "three" was "Tri". So basically the latin word for a meeting of three roads was trivium.

And it's apparently from this we get the word "Trivia" today.

• Advertisement

Advertisement