Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BELKIN WeMo Insight Switch 40% off

• 27-11-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

89306dc1-3c85-4a04-a7ef-d3aaa23a2ccd.jpg._CB311973476__SR285,285_.jpg

Remotely turn appliances and electronic devices on and off
    Monitor and control energy usage and costs from anywhere
    Set schedules and receive customized notifications
    Control using the free WeMo App on smartphone or tablet. Works with your existing home Wi-Fi network
    Compatible with any smartphone or tablet running Android 4.0 and higher or iOS 8 and higher

You rarely see this on offer, and at such a great price. Around €36 delivered

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insight-Switch-Control-Lights-Appliances/dp/B00H51XYLY/

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Warning these have a pretty bad flaw!

If your power goes off, even for 30 seconds, then when it comes back on these default to off. Think about if you had this plugged into a fridge/freezer, etc. It could mean you wake up to a flooded kitchen.

I'd recommend the TP-Link HS110, which do the same job are cheaper and don't have this flaw (they default to their last state before power outages).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

bk wrote: »
    Warning these have a pretty bad flaw!

If your power goes off, even for 30 seconds, then when it comes back on these default to off. Think about if you had this plugged into a fridge/freezer, etc. It could mean you wake up to a flooded kitchen.

I'd recommend the TP-Link HS110, which do the same job are cheaper and don't have this flaw (they default to their last state before power outages).

Thanks for the heads up and not being smart here, but in what scenario would you have a fridge/freezer on a timer, or such switch?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the heads up and not being smart here, but in what scenario would you have a fridge/freezer on a timer, or such switch?

It isn't so much the timer/remote control, it is more the ability to monitor power usage. I've been moving my HS110 around my home on different devices, including the fridge/freezer, just to see how much power they use. I know many other people doing the same, so good to know if you are doing the same.

Over on the Belkin forums a guy was complaining that he had one of these switches on his aquarium, power went out temporarily, but switch never came back on and he came home to dead fish :(

It might not be a big deal in many cases, but it is good to know this limitation, I think it is a pretty stupid design decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

bk wrote: »
    It isn't so much the timer/remote control, it is more the ability to monitor power usage. I've been moving my HS110 around my home on different devices, including the fridge/freezer, just to see how much power they use. I know many other people doing the same, so good to know if you are doing the same.

Over on the Belkin forums a guy was complaining that he had one of these switches on his aquarium, power went out temporarily, but switch never came back on and he came home to dead fish :(

It might not be a big deal in many cases, but it is good to know this limitation, I think it is a pretty stupid design decision.

Ahh i see ..the power usage monitoring is very good.

might invest in a couple of TP ones.

thanks for the quick reply

Advertisement