Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Not sure whether this was already mentioned or not, but I read on Amazon that those 3 UK sims are restricted to 13GB of fair usage policy per month for roaming data. Just in case you were considering purchasing a 24GB one. It's better to get two 12GB sims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Not sure whether this was already mentioned or not, but I read on Amazon that those 3 UK sims are restricted to 13GB of fair usage policy per month for roaming data. Just in case you were considering purchasing a 24GB one. It's better to get two 12GB sims.

Correct, I was getting 12GB which was loads for my 10 day stay, however just disable data and use hotel wifi or airbnb etc and use data only when heading out. I had no problems whatsoever with 3 UK roaming in Los Angeles.

A T-Mobile sim would have cost more than double that and my experience of T-Mobile in New York before in 2018 was average slowish 3G and absolute woeful signals indoors in shopping malls etc. Even in a small store I was losing signal and T-Mobile in New York for me were absolutely brutal despite the high price I paid. I could almost survive without it but as an avid Uber user I need data now whenever I am in Uber territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

Three Mobile 4GB data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9V8Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JqomEbBZA6F1Y

Will this do the job for data in the states? I know it only lasts 30 days but that's fine for me and 4GB would be plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Three Mobile 4GB data Pay As You Go SIM https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9V8Z83/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JqomEbBZA6F1Y

Will this do the job for data in the states? I know it only lasts 30 days but that's fine for me and 4GB would be plenty.

Yes, as long as you’re not expecting blistering speeds, it will be fine. Pretty much as cheap an option as you’re likely to get if the 4gb the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

dodzy wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you’re not expecting blistering speeds, it will be fine. Pretty much as cheap an option as you’re likely to get if the 4gb the bill.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

CyberGhost wrote: »

For the 24GB one, it is 12GB A MONTH. It lasts for two years so you should get a couple of trips out of it if you travel regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Travelling to New York next weekend. What's the best option for roaming charges? I am an eir mobile customer and only plan to use mobile data sparingly (or when wifi is not available)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Get an esim from somewhere like airalo if your phone is esim capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

A few people have mentioned on another thread about GoMoWorld - I think it's an eSim option. I just checked it there and they off 15GB for 19.99 euro.

Alternatively, if youre looking for a physical sim. Ive previously purchased a 3 UK sim from Amazon, Three Uk offers Roaming in US as part of their package - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobile-30GB-data-pay/dp/B098F13K56?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Advertisement

Just saw this on the eir website - has anyone ever used this add-on?

Seems very expensive for 1GB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

@djdunny do you know how far in advance you can buy these , going next June but on offer at mo.

That's what i was thinking - you wouldn't be long using up 1GB with apps running in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

I've used a number of the 3 Sims over the years and they work well. I usually buy them about 2 months in advance. Also you can reuse them and re top them up online. Just don't mix them up with old ones in a pocket of your bag 😭

1gb at that price is daylight robbery tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,463 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've used the Three sim a couple of times, it's data only but I used it in a dual sim phone so had the WhatsApp on my main number to use the data on the Three sim if I need to make a call. I don't believe there's a validity period to activate it (within reason), I've used them 6-12 months after purchase.

• Advertisement

Very true, 1 GB would be gone before you know it. I think use Google Maps the most when I'm abroad and that's very data heavy so I like a good data allowance.

Airalo esims are good if your phone can take one. Very straightforward to set up as well. There's instruction videos on their website too.

If you are looking for a physical sim card I have used the below without any problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09X3V2443/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

For data saving in maps download the maps you need before you leave. Won't give you love traffic but will get out away from being lost 😁

Just checked my phone settings (Samsung A53) and its does not support eSim 😣

Pity i hadn't posted this question last week - would have ordered one of those. Flying out on Sat morning so the chance of it being here by Friday are slim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I was in New York in June and purchased 2 x Airalo e-sims. The first worked fine in an IPhone 13. I had difficulty getting mine to work in a Samsung Galaxy S22+. Some apps including Google Maps didnt work with it. I purchased a GoMoWorld Esim shortly afterwards and it worked perfectly. Airalo support eventually refunded me the price of my esim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭rhinosaurious

I recommend GoMoWorld! They’re owned by eir so it has some sort of trust I suppose. I used it in Turkey and it was working flawlessly, you can find a good data package on the app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've used Airalo a huge amount in Japan, Singapore, Australia, US... works flawlessly for me (iPhones only).

I have heard above that some Samsung's have esim switching issues, the iPhone makes it very easy to enable the esim for cellular data roaming only.

I've tried other apps, but Airalo is the only one I've found more-or-less flawless for me. And pretty cheap too.

Unfortunately my Samsung A53 is not compatible with eSims....😫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭cena

How fast would you go through 15 gb using GoMoWorld, I am in the States for 4 days next month using google maps for driving

Another option may be to buy a Prepaid SIM over in the US in one of the Phone Provider Stores (T-Mobile or AT&T)

The only stipulation is that the phone needs to be unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

You probably would be required to provide a us address and a us social security number

My missus was with me in Chicago this year and she didn't get a sim card before going over. We looked in some of the phone shops over there (AT&T etc) and the plans were mad money. There didn't seem to be anything like Gomo or Three over there. You couldn't get sims for a week, they were all monthly plans. The cheapest plan was 50 dollars for the month plus all the providers were charging between 50 to 70 dollars activation fees on top of everything so it was very uneconomical for a trip lasting a few days. She ended up just tethering off mine for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

Bought this and worked like a charm!

Trip to SF in February

https://amzn.eu/d/0Hb2oBU

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Art_Vandalay

some airports have vending machines for sim cards with data plans loaded on them around $40-$50 USD. You can also go to Walmart and buy a sim and add data plans, minimum was $35 USD on straight talk. All they needed was email address and name. No ID required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

see here for an esim with discount, worked flawless for me in the US

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058242259/airalo-e-sim-for-data-when-travelling-non-eu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I did this last year in San Francisco. Just bought a PAYG SIM (my phone is unlocked).

It was something like €70 but that was unlimited data (we drove the coast for 3 weeks with Google maps on steady every day), calls and texts.

I know it's a bit more expensive but for convenience it couldn't be topped.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Does anyone have cheap sim for Canada link . I don't have a esim phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

I used a Three UK sim recently in Australia, it worked excellently with 4g in all but the most remote areas. But as I found out and others have said here roaming is limited to about 12gb so not really much point in paying for unlimited or anything more than 12gb. Probably better to get 2 10gb sims. Although I wasn't aware of the likes of Gomoword or Airalo until recently, would perhaps try them next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I was in the States for 5 days last month and found GoMo World very easy to use including for Google Maps when driving. I used about 11GB in total so it was more than enough and it's quite easy to keep an eye on and to top up if necessary. Don't forget you can download local areas onto your Google Maps app in advance which might limit your data usage as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

If your phone has an esim then Gomo World is great value, 1GB for €3.99 did me for a week as long as you use wifi where possible. Easy to see how much data you have left too with their app

Would 1GB of data last 7 days just using Google Maps sporadically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you download Google maps in advance or on hotel wifi then you don't need data at all for most purposes, live data just gives you live traffic and the like. So if you download the relevant maps, 1Gb should be fine.

It is always wise to download the relevant map when travelling, not least because out of town you might have no signal.

Stupid things to remember as well. Download any Spotify or YouTube you want and set it to offline mode. Also make sure you're app updates are set to WiFi only.

Again all mistakes I've made over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

do the 3 UK sims have to be "activated" in the UK first or are they grand to use in the US immediately? (someone somewhere said something about this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

Disable Google photos too so that photos don’t upload over data

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Activate before you go , they will give you a UK number

Does anyone have a pic of the gomo world app on google? I don't see it

Gomo world not compatible with me phone. Any others I can use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You know what phone you have, does anybody else?

Try Airalo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Download the mobimatter app and select where you're going, for how long and how much data you'll need. It'll show the best esim options with a link to buy. Most useful app I've used in a while.

It's not Gomo World your problem is with. Your phone is not compatible with Esims. You'll have to get an IPhone, or Samsung, or Google Pixel (perhaps a few other models) if you want Esim. Otherwise get a physical sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

Do they have to be activated in the Uk or can they be activated in Ireland?

I got 2 of these a while ago for a trip this week and i have put one in my phone but I cant seem to get to to work ... can anyone help please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement