Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Point in Queing overnight 26th?

Options
  • 25-12-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Any point in me queing over night for the excellent sales in Clerys to the first few in the door?
    Havent seen anything advertised.
    Any help,greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You realise it's -9 outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

yeah...thought id def be the only one for sure. Ha! a tv for a hundred euro is mighty tempting..maybe hit it around 3 am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I wouldn't recommend it either. If its any.consolation the next 2 nites should be slightly milder!

Oh ya do a search on previous sales in clearys involving extremely cheap tvs and you'll realise that it may be slightly too late already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

People started queueing last night when they closed I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flyandrain

wyndham wrote: »

wow. celebrated Christmas with all family members outside of shop. wow :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

wyndham wrote: »

that's really sad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

that's really sad

Normal with Clearys.... unfortunately. At least it is unlikely that they will freeze to death tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

that's really sad

+1 i cant understand the mentality of queing overnight for things like a slave?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

what were the super special awesome offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

davoxx wrote: »
    what were the super special awesome offers?

A new set of toes, that's what they'll be needin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭another native

Perhaps it was for that one bed priced at €1 (down from €1,799) or maybe the bookcase normally €1,399 for €99, or the netbook computer for €99 (normally €329). Brave souls to queue and lets hope they're all happy tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

still sad imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Saw them on the news, none of them looked well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

still sad imo
    Not really, a garda might be paid to stand in the same place in the cold for long periods, or those guys on grafton street holding up signs all day. Is that so sad?

Or is it the religious crap that upsets people -many of the people queing might not celebrate/believe in the same zombie's birthday that you do.

If you really feel strongly you should complain to the shops who do this, they are preying on people who might really need these savings, just to get a bit of marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

+1 i cant understand the mentality of queing overnight for things like a slave?
    I don't know. I'd say a lot of people would queue for a slave - as long as the price was right.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

rubadub wrote: »
    Not really, a garda might be paid to stand in the same place in the cold for long periods, or those guys on grafton street holding up signs all day. Is that so sad?

Its hard to see how people queing all night to save a few euro which is still actually costing them money would equate to a garda doing their job to earn a few euro.

Its like when petrol is going to go up 5 cent a litre, cars pile up in petrol stations to fill up to save 2.50 in a once off.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Its hard to see how people queing all night to save a few euro which is still actually costing them money would equate to a garda doing their job to earn a few euro.
    You might have missed the potential savings, if you are first in line it is usually guaranteed.
    Perhaps it was for that one bed priced at €1 (down from €1,799) or maybe the bookcase normally €1,399 for €99, or the netbook computer for €99 (normally €329).
    So they are in effect being "paid" €1,798 to stand in the cold for many hours. Just like a guy holding a sign, I wonder if any homeless people take advantage of these shops -I hope they do.
    Its like when petrol is going to go up 5 cent a litre, cars pile up in petrol stations to fill up to save 2.50 in a once off.
    Well they are idiots if they are only saving a few quid like that, just like some idiots enduring the stress, hassle and expense of driving driving up north to save a few euro on toilet roll & beer.

It might be worthwhile just work it out. But I would not call a saving of €1,798 for doing maybe 15hrs work "slave wages"

It might be worthwhile just work it out. But I would not call a saving of €1,798 for doing maybe 15hrs work "slave wages"

True, but thats great if you are the first in line, everyone else might as well head home.

True, but thats great if you are the first in line, everyone else might as well head home.
    I have heard of shops going out giving tickets to the first people in line, and asking what they have come to get and giving tokens. This stops any fights and wasted queuing.

Some seem to not mind queuing, heres a bunch of fools queuing up for a computer game to be released.
    article-0-0BF96A8B000005DC-915_634x368.jpg
    http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/141047.html

I know a guy whos GF who is about 30 queued overnight outside HMV for take that tickets this year, and don't think she got them either. It is like queuing to go on a computer as the tickets in HMV are gone when they are gone online or on the phone.

I have heard of shops going out giving tickets to the first people in line, and asking what they have come to get and giving tokens. This stops any fights and wasted queuing.

Some seem to not mind queuing, heres a bunch of fools queuing up for a computer game to be released.

I know a guy whos GF who is about 30 queued overnight outside HMV for take that tickets this year, and don't think she got them either. It is like queuing to go on a computer as the tickets in HMV are gone when they are gone online or on the phone.

Yea i suppose it depends on the actual saving to be made, some do well, but some are silly, not because they were unlucky and just missed out, but because they que all night for a take that ticket like you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Or is it the religious crap that upsets people -many of the people queing might not celebrate/believe in the same zombie's birthday that you do.

If you really feel strongly you should complain to the shops who do this, they are preying on people who might really need these savings, just to get a bit of marketing.
    a garda might be paid to stand in the same place in the cold for long periods, or those guys on grafton street holding up signs all day.

I dont really understand the point that you are trying to make here, could you explain?

What has this got to do with religion at all? I do like the way you referred to Jesus as a zombie, very clever and respectful to anyone who is actually a Christian.
    If you really feel strongly you should complain to the shops who do this

Feel so strongly? The user who you are referring to merely agreed with me that it was sad that people perceived that they needed to que up at that time to grab a bargain. Writing to the shop would not achieve anything. I myself dont hold anything against the shop, it did nothing wrong. IMO the hysteria is built up by the people themselves and marketing has little involvement.
    they are preying on people who might really need these savings

They are not preying on anyone. It's someones choice whether they line up outside a shop at that time. And as for the "need", most of the products are self indulgent....e.g T.Vs, branded clothes, perfumes, well known branded shoes etc etc.....a lot are not needs, they are wants.

As I said, it's someones choice whether they line up outside a shop.......but personally I find it sad. No matter what religion they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

All ticket master agents have a certain amount of guaranteed tickets, so if they sell out online and an agent has 20 tickets left you still have a chance.

often when I buy tickets the agent wont even be printing tickets he will have a stack of them and just hand them out when people buy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I queued up for stuff before. -9 Christmas Eve night and Christmas night is a bit too much for me TBH, even with the deals.

If they could put that much effort into getting a job they could earn that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

CorkMan wrote: »
    I queued up for stuff before. -9 Christmas Eve night and Christmas night is a bit too much for me TBH, even with the deals.

If they could put that much effort into getting a job they could earn that money.

Who says they haven't got a job? You sound like an idiot with statements like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

CorkMan wrote: »

Despite what the media and indeed the doom and gloom threads would have you believe, the vast majority of people of working age have jobs and are working.

Why do you think the people queuing don't work? They are on holidays

Advertisement