Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving Out Of Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If I could work anywhere I would consider somewhere with a better climate. Lots South of Spain would be cheaper than Donegal and climate slightly better! 20 degrees in February is fine by me.

Maybe difficult for your wife to get a nursing job there but could she work with you on your business or teach English. She wouldn't need to bring a huge amount in if you earn plenty as cost of living would be a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

100% this. The other thing to think about is while WFH might be allowed in your current job, if you decide to change jobs you might be more limited. Not all companies are going to 100% WFH forever.

That will depend on the type of job. I work in IT and there are big chances that remote work increases in the future.

Also, going back to Dublin is always an option as long as you're renting.
    If I could work anywhere I would consider somewhere with a better climate. Lots South of Spain would be cheaper than Donegal and climate slightly better! 20 degrees in February is fine by me.

Hmmm.... that's what everybody say over here, but I disagree. I prefer working on Irish winter than in Spanish summer (40 C)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Lads, I didn't mean for this to turn into a bashing thread on Dublin.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Sort of similar: born and reared in Dublin, thought of buying a house there in 2003 but couldn't believe the way house prices were rising. So I moved to rural France instead, spent a third of what I would have paid in Dublin for a property ten times bigger and I can now get away with working only 20 weeks of the year (that's only so I can pay for my holidays! :D )

Our main reason for the change of lifestyle was to have a better quality of family life. At the time, we were challenged with all the same arguments that have been presented above, and right up until Christmas it was still a "hot topic" with some of the younger (20-somethings) members of the extended family saying it was about time everyone came here for Christmas instead of us going there, and the older (40-somethings and beyond) saying there was "nothing to do".

Fast forward to 2020 and those still in Dublin are going mental because their always-on-so-much-choice lifestyle collapsed around them, whereas mine has remained unchanged ... except for the influx of 20-somethings, who took matters into their own hands and sought refuge with me, where there's plenty to do! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

Sort of similar: born and reared in Dublin, thought of buying a house there in 2003 but couldn't believe the way house prices were rising. So I moved to rural France instead, spent a third of what I would have paid in Dublin for a property ten times bigger and I can now get away with working only 20 weeks of the year (that's only so I can pay for my holidays! :D )

Our main reason for the change of lifestyle was to have a better quality of family life. At the time, we were challenged with all the same arguments that have been presented above, and right up until Christmas it was still a "hot topic" with some of the younger (20-somethings) members of the extended family saying it was about time everyone came here for Christmas instead of us going there, and the older (40-somethings and beyond) saying there was "nothing to do".

Fast forward to 2020 and those still in Dublin are going mental because their always-on-so-much-choice lifestyle collapsed around them, whereas mine has remained unchanged ... except for the influx of 20-somethings, who took matters into their own hands and sought refuge with me, where there's plenty to do! :pac:

What do you do? Even if permanent WFH becomes a thing, I presume we can't all relocate to wherever in the EU, because companies tax resident in Ireland will want staff who are tax resident in Ireland too. Because if not I am outta here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The actual problem with Dublin is that while key benefits have disappeared, a lot of asking prices are still maintaining a now-inappropriate markup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

But it has an IKEA. And Fresh coffee.

Ikea deliver and there is a fantastic French boulangerie that serves fabulous coffee locally. Besides that I like roasting my own beans ..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

What do you do? Even if permanent WFH becomes a thing, I presume we can't all relocate to wherever in the EU, because companies tax resident in Ireland will want staff who are tax resident in Ireland too. Because if not I am outta here too!

If your an employee you need to work from an EU country which your company already has a base. Otherwise they country will deem your would location as a branch and charge corporation tax.

I work in software for a large MNC and this can be a big issue esp with intellectual property. It would be an even bigger issue if say all the developers in Google Dublin moved to Spain to wfh, Spanish tax authorities would have a valid claim to charge CT on their Irish earnings

What do you do? Even if permanent WFH becomes a thing, I presume we can't all relocate to wherever in the EU ...

I go to where the work is and treat it as a holiday with free accomodation! :pac: A few weeks here, a few weeks there, several weeks at home between each contract, or longer if I have other things to do/places to be.

I'm happy to be tax-resident in France, and there's more than enough work for me here, but I've had offers in the last few months to work in Luxembourg, Belgium and Switzerland (all within a day's drive), as well as the supposedly French territories of Réunion and Tahiti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

2 years ago I bought a house in South Wicklow, moving from Dublin where I had been renting for 12 years. As a younger person I loved Dublin but as I matured the things that made me love the place were becoming less and less important.

When it came to buying a house then we realised that we could tie ourselves into a massive mortgage to live in a semi detached house in a housing estate or we could move out of Dublin and buy a stand alone house on a nice site for substantially less money. That was our primary driver however its also massively important that rural living had an appeal to us for many reasons too.

Yes I have a commute to work but to be honest it isn't a whole lot worse than what I was doing every day in Dublin. Yes there are fewer amenities here but I don't really miss them, I just traded the zoo and museums for forests, hills and beaches. There are a few pubs within walking distance of me, some lovely restaurants within a 15 minute drive, and lots to do in general. There's rarely a weekend when we just sit in and do nothing we're always discovering new things. But of course this is all just entirely my own experience and I'm sure many will read it and think I'd hate that!

To the OP the reality is that city or rural living appeal to different people for different reasons. There are so many factors that simply come down to personal feelings on things that nobody can definitively say that one option is better than the other for you. I've got friends who wouldn't dream of leaving Dublin, I've got friends that wouldn't dream of living in it ever. Only you know what will make your life more enjoyable, so go with your gut on that.

Yes I have a commute to work but to be honest it isn't a whole lot worse than what I was doing every day in Dublin.

This is a point that comes up over and over again in conversations I've had with city-dwellers, not just with regard to commuting for work but travelling to social/leisure events too. For a time, we lived (with activity-age children) in suburban Kent and spent hours in the car getting to places that weren't that far away.

It's the same in Dublin. As someone who grew up there and went everywhere on my bike, I'm always caught out now by the length of time it takes to get around the city by car or public transport, whereas here in "the middle of nowhere" I have literally thousands of places/events within an hour's drive. Sure, it might be 100km away, but that's still less than the time the bus takes to get from my mother's house in D14 to College Green.

At an association meeting a few years ago, one of our Parisian board members expressed her envy at the choice and accessibility of events for us country-dwellers, remarking that it took her 15 minutes just to get down to the ground floor of her apparment block and around the corner to the nearest Métro station, whereas we'd be into the car and 20km away in that time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I live in Midlands close to a town and I would probably find Donegal too remote even as a country dweller. That being said the town we live in is currently thriving, the center is busier because those who are working from home are spending their days and money locally.

Whatever you might decide to do I would definitely rent first. It could be that the city centres will become kips for a while because work from home will become more prevalent. Or the now thriving local towns will empty out because commuters will move back to cities. I have a feeling that Corona is changing the way we are going to live in future but it's very hard to tell in what direction it will go.

We have two kids, local school is nice, we have spacious house and garden and woods on the doorstep. Broadband is a bit rubbish but getting better. When we want to go out in Dublin we need to drive for an hour to hour and a half. Sometimes we stay overnight and sometimes we drive back anyone of us doesn't drink. Our mortgage is currently around one sixth of our net income. For a family our location is lovely, for single person I would not advise it and for a couple without kids it would depend what your interests are. There are pluses and minuses everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You are kidding nobody. I have a choice of 4 sushi places that deliver to my door. The main thing is choice and plenty of it. Can quit my job and get another within a week. Can fly internationally and be in my house with 30 minutes of getting off the plane in Dublin.

I lived in Athlone for 6 months and this is considered a big town. I remember going to the cinema there and the projection was larger than the screen. I don't go to the nearest cinema here because I don't like their seats. Choice is what I like

I lived in Athlone for a time when I was a teenager. I thought it was a kip. Other people I know move their later in life and quite like it. A big town is just that, a big town. It would have some of the features of city life and will be close to rural life. Within 3 Miles of the old bridge Athlone, there are industrial estates with large international firms employing hundreds of people, there are modern shopping centres 1/3 level college et cetera. There is also a considerable area of bog and a landscape untouched in generations. Despite all this there is no hospital worth the name in or near the town and those inhabitants of the town who require medical treatment frequently have to travel to Dublin or Galway to be seen. The population of the greater Lawn area, giving a generous 6 mile radius from the centre of the town is about the same as that of a smallish Dublin suburb. The difference in Dublin is that even if something is not in that suburb it is generally only a short distance away.

Where somebody lives is a matter for individual choice but is simply not possible to have the equivalent lifestyle in one area than another. It is all about compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Uber driver?

No, IT consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

awec wrote: »
    I grew up in a large town OP, lived in Dublin for almost a decade, then moved to a small town. Anyone trying to tell you that town life (big or small) is like living in Dublin but just with a bit less choice is filling your head full of shite. I am not saying it is worse, I am saying it is a very different lifestyle. There is a lot less to do. The infrastructure around you is chalk and cheese, it just doesn't compare.

You may love it, you may hate it, different strokes for different folks, but IMO you'd be mad to jump into it head first on the back of a weekend with your mates. If renting for a while is possible I would do that first.

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you're living in Dublin but have a reasonable chance of being able to work from home what I'd do is google maps the major motorways and calculate 2 hours total drive from your current workplace, find a village with services around the nearest exit to that and look at it from there.

if you had to go back 1-2 days a week its only a 2 hour drive, but you take advantage of the cheaper house prices and could end up in a great little village to put down roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I'm in my mid 20's and living in the city. I love it and suit's myself and my partner's lifestyle at the moment. We can go out and about very easily cycling everywhere and meeting up with friends. I think city living appeals to the younger generations and as people get older they look for a slower pace of life. I cant see myself living in the city in 15 years time. Seem's logical that people will slowly move out. But I would rather have a nice house with garden in a slightly rural area then pay a bomb for a semi-d in a housing estate but that's personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Can we please get some perspective here? While I am sure Letterkenny has schools and some form of broadband, and it has houses, let's not pretend that a medium sized town has these things as accessible as the capital city.

Regarding broadband, I live in rural Tipperary with 1000mb FTTH broadband. Most of rural Ireland these days has better broadband than Dublin.

Recently got into an argument with a Dubliner who was threatening the Eircom reps on Twitter over his <5mb VDSL and at the exact same time criticising the NBS which would probably get him FTTH. If we don’t have it, you shouldn’t is the attitude there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

we have a thread where everyone is delighted with their own choice and taking great delight in telling everyone else why there's is wrong.

I moved from the country to the south side of dublin (went to UCD and stayed basically), would i move back home? nope, considered it, decided against it, couldnt be happier with my decision, we have lovely neighbours and a great life. But that matters very little to the OP.

I cant see a reason for you not to try it for a year, what have you got to lose? seems like very little,

you can even come back and tell us how it went.

Regarding broadband, I live in rural Tipperary with 1000mb FTTH broadband. Most of rural Ireland these days has better broadband than Dublin.

if you happen to be on the fibre roll out (which is also happening in dublin believe it or not)

the reality is your worst case in dublin re BB is a lot better than your worst case in a rural location.

and no domestic user needs 1000mb.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Recently got into an argument with a Dubliner who was threatening the Eircom reps on Twitter over his <5mb VDSL and at the exact same time criticising the NBS which would probably get him FTTH. If we don’t have it, you shouldn’t is the attitude there.

This is not even close to being true.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cyrus wrote: »
    if you happen to be on the fibre roll out (which is also happening in dublin believe it or not)

the reality is your worst case in dublin re BB is a lot better than your worst case in a rural location.

and no domestic user needs 1000mb.

Virgin offer 1gb.

Virgin offer 1gb.

as do eir/sky/vodafone/digiweb if you get FTTH, which i have, but i dont pay for the 1000mb package because i dont need it :P

500mb is plenty :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the South east is ideal- Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow- some lovely spots and great value houses but key is far easier, better access to Dublin than Donegal or the west of Ireland- plus much better weather. Either motorway and/or train acess to Dublin- i think going forward work is likely to be a more mix of WFH and a couple days mixed with the office. Between 1 and 2 hours from Dublin to keep connected with the office more easily.
    WFH with regular office visits to Dublin would still be a pain from Donegal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Just to throw in my 2 cents, grew up in the north west. Beautful place but the weather is not to underestimated, it's grim at best and depressing at worst.
    Yes when the sun is out there is nowhere to beat it but it rains a hell of a lot. Completely different climate to the east coast. Definitely rent first and see if you can hack it!
    I had a yearning to move home that was cured by a long wet and grey week in June that reminded me how depressing the weather could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Just to throw in my 2 cents, grew up in the north west. Beautful place but the weather is not to underestimated, it's grim at best and depressing at worst.
    Yes when the sun is out there is nowhere to beat it but it rains a hell of a lot. Completely different climate to the east coast. Definitely rent first and see if you can hack it!
    I had a yearning to move home that was cured by a long wet and grey week in June that reminded me how depressing the weather could be.

Weather isn't everything. I am missing home and for the past 4 months it has been in the 30s. OK for the next few months it'll be snow and -20C - -30C..;)

Family, ties, pace of life, things to do, friends all play into someone's decision.

Don't get me wrong, City life has it's benefits but at this stage in life, not for me. I still maintain a residence in two cities but also enjoy the garden/land that comes with rural life, not to mention the quietness, the community and the family/friends that I have.

I think we can all agree, City life/Rural living both have pros and cons and its finding out where you are happiest..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

Living in Donegal if you going on city breaks you have to take the day before you trip off to travel donegal to dublin and the day after. Same just whenever using the airport. And this will return some day post covid.

Going to a concert is not just getting train into dublin for a concert and home. Its an overnight stay when you coming from donegal and travel day up and down.

Weather on the western seaboard does get to some people.

If you accept your remoteness you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

annoyedgal wrote: »

Have to agree and think it’s something people underestimate- I live in Kilkenny and there’s definitely a difference- often in leitrim and the rain and dampness is noticeable. There’s a kind of bite in the air a lot of the time. Rainfall can be over twice or more the average in the east/south east

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

People here keep suggesting that cities are great for young people and then you'd want to move to the country as you get older. That might be true for some people but it's not the gospel. I grew up in a small town in the midlands, big garden, family nearby, etc and moved to Dublin for college. When I had kids of my own, we talked about moving somewhere else and decided that this is where we want to stay. My parents were run ragged driving us kids around the place and I appreciated the hell out of it but I'm not sure I'm ready to make the same commitment.

School is a <10 minute cycle and the 8 year old can already make that trip by herself if she wants. When they go to secondary school, it's 10 minutes on the Luas so they'll be well able to do that. GAA is < 10 minutes on the Luas or a 15 minute cycle so they can come and go to training by themselves if they want. Dundrum is 15 minutes on the Luas and city centre is 30 minutes away so they can meet friends, go the cinema, shopping, etc without needing a chauffeur. I'm not kicking them out the door every day but I like the freedom not to be tethered to their social lives :)

Someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread but I used to dread getting up at 3:30am to be at the airport at 6am for a flight at 7am. Getting home was even worse. I lived in Santry for years and it was great - 30 minutes from getting on Dublin Bus to being at security or further never got old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Not all within a reasonable distance , though, that's the whole fecking point (I suspect that you're deliberately missing that point, though).

How many of them do you have access to in Letterkenny, seeing as that's what was brought up earlier?

You pretty much have access to all of them in Waterford

• Advertisement
Advertisement