Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

{Avoid} Sinemia unlimited movie subscription from 6 euro per month

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wheety wrote: »
    They send you a prepaid debit card. You use the app when you're near the cinema, it actually says check in, so I presume you use your social media for that to advertise the service, pick your movie and they top up your card for the exact amount. Then you go to the counter to buy a ticket. Maybe you can use the screen, I prefer to look and pick my own seats.

Actually, no, if you read recent reviews you'll see that they havn't been sending out the prepaid debit cards and instead you have to book your tickets though a third-party app/website with a one-use virtual card number they provide you with and pay $2/£2 a ticket on top of your monthly subscription for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Quackster wrote: »
    Actually, no, if you read recent reviews you'll see that they havn't been sending out the prepaid debit cards and instead you have to book your tickets though a third-party app/website with a one-use virtual card number they provide you with and pay $2/£2 a ticket on top of your monthly subscription for the privilege.

Yeah that seems to be people's experience alright. I was going by their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Yeah that seems to be people's experience alright. I was going by their website.

Either way it seems to be a model of get the cash in and worry about it later.

If I as an unknown entity offered €30 in exchange for €10 each month you would know it was either a scam or that I was very dim and it wouldn't last long. Put a shiny brand on it and some people will be convinced.

Anybody who hands over a years worth of subs in advance for this deserves to lose their money. On a monthly basis it might just be worth the punt even considering the initiation fee and using a disposable card to pay.

A very low level of full use of the offer will tear the model apart.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Isn’t the odeon limitless 20euro a month anyway?

Yep, if you're lucky enough to have an Odeon convenient to you.

Conversely, when you've a choice, it can be irritating tied to one when other cinemas (IFI, Lighthouse) could be showing some more interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Posted it earlier

They send you a prepaid debit card. You use the app when you're near the cinema, it actually says check in, so I presume you use your social media for that to advertise the service, pick your movie and they top up your card for the exact amount. Then you go to the counter to buy a ticket. Maybe you can use the screen, I prefer to look and pick my own seats.

I don't think the cinema gets a cut of your subscription so they must be relying on people not using it fully. But if you have the €11 deal and go once a month they can't be making money. Go at a peak time in VUE and it's €11.24 per adult ticket.

The cinema gets nothing and their main business plan is to get a cut from the cinemas concession stands. Can't see the benefit to a cinema to sell its tickets cheap and loose out on the profits from the concessions to a 3rd party company.

The amazing thing is that people are actually paying money to back these companies when their business plan has such an obvious flaw.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    The cinema gets nothing and their main business plan is to get a cut from the cinemas concession stands. Can't see the benefit to a cinema to sell its tickets cheap and loose out on the profits from the concessions to a 3rd party company.

The amazing thing is that people are actually paying money to back these companies when their business plan has such an obvious flaw.

It has nothing to do with the cinemas. They get paid the normal ticket price and are none the wiser that a person used this company to pay for their ticket. There's no way Sinemia could possibly get a cut of any ancillary spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Them getting funding just doesn't make sense to me. Surely anyone can see it's unworkable. I don't even know how someone came up with this idea. You're paying people to go to the cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Quackster wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the cinemas. They get paid the normal ticket price and are none the wiser that a person used this company to pay for their ticket. There's no way Sinemia could possibly get a cut of any ancillary spending.

Their business model is to get ancillary spending though and that's never going to happen so the company can't survive once the venture capital dries up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Them getting funding just doesn't make sense to me. Surely anyone can see it's unworkable. I don't even know how someone came up with this idea. You're paying people to go to the cinema?

There are two ways to make money:

1. Build a critical mass of subscribers so that you can go to the cinemas and say "look, we have <X> members, let's make a deal on ticket prices and revenue sharing or we drop your cinema from the scheme and you lose their business".

2. Build a critical mass of subscribers and harvest their data on what films they see, where they go and when, and then sell this to cinemas/distributors/film studios.

But both of these require you to stay in the game long enough (burning cash) to reach critical mass.

The third way is to collect an annual subscription fee and hope that your customers don't use the service...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

"Country: United Kingdom

City: Dublin"

Fúck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭alanbk

Just to keep people in the loop re this deal. STAY AWAY. A complete scam. I signed up and have had nothing but hassle trying to get a ticket for the cinema. Their support just keeps sending you the same old bs about looking into the issue etc. Looks like I’ve lost my £119 at this stage. Trying to claim my money back through card. You have been warned.

Advertisement