Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi "Hoverboard"

Options
  • 27-07-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Seems an OK price(it's 250 Euros) if you're into that sort of thing, but A guarantee of 60 days only ? Is that even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The warranty is a distraction. Your consumer rights still apply.

Chinese unit branded with some distributor in Germanys name. Wouldnt be in a rush to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

On their receipt it always say does not affect statutory rights. I only guess here 60 days is no questions asked return.

Aldi is very relaxed with returns and refunds from my own and other people experience.

Saying that it could be good product or complete crap.

When it comes to electronics and anything over 100 in value I tend to not to buy in Aldi and Lidl. The quality is just unpredictable.

Under 100 I do from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IMO lidls electronics are cheap stuff at cheap prices but aldis are utter junkers at cheap prices. Wouldnt be a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

ED E wrote: »
    IMO lidls electronics are cheap stuff at cheap prices but aldis are utter junkers at cheap prices. Wouldnt be a fan.
    Second this as the person that gets asked to fix everyones broken crap when they've chucked the receipt. I am regularly pleasantly surprised by the quality of lidl stuff but more often than not appalled by quality of the aldi stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I tried to get a petrol hedge trimmer from them replaced under warranty. The shop didn't want to know and sent me off to some supplier in the UK who gave me the run around. I wouldn't buy anything other than food from them these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I bought a tv from aldi around 3 years ago and have had no issues, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I doubt that hovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

ZINC are a UK brand, but they just tend to label slap chinese manufacturers products.

The hoverboard will more than likely be fine but there are an abundance of them in China so stockists are always trying to get rid. For the price it's ok but you can get them cheaper....180 is a decent price for one.

I have tried loads of them and the product is fun for a while...difficult to get to grips getting on and off. If you want to change it into a really fun product for kids though buy a NEON HOVERKART. Amazing craic. Tried one at the Nuremberg toy show and if I owned a hoverboard I would definitely get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Won't be available tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Had problems returning something to Lidl recently.

It wasn’t working out of the box and I hadn’t kept the receipt.

Now I know they didn’t have to do anything for me but I’m always in there shopping, they know my face, it was a product currently on offer and I’m not aware of anyone else that stocks their brand.

Anyway, lesson learned, as with 2 posters above, I won’t buy electronics from either Aldi or Lidl again and if I did I wouldn’t be prepared to spend any more then €30 - €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I bought a tv from aldi around 3 years ago and have had no issues, I wouldn't be so quick to write them off

God how our standards have dropped. I remember purchasing TVs and expecting to get at least 20 years out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

Rennaws wrote: »
    Had problems returning something to Lidl recently.

It wasn’t working out of the box and I hadn’t kept the receipt.

Now I know they didn’t have to do anything for me but I’m always in there shopping, they know my face, it was a product currently on offer and I’m not aware of anyone else that stocks their brand.

Anyway, lesson learned, as with 2 posters above, I won’t buy electronics from either Aldi or Lidl again and if I did I wouldn’t be prepared to spend any more then €30 - €40.

If you paid by card - you can sort it out by using lidl helpline - just give them amount and date and they will fin receipt for you - then more likely you will ahve to send it to Germany but lidl will get ups to collect it. Did that myself last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Same experience here. I used to prefer shopping in Lidl over Aldi, but then I found out that they treat people, regular local customers incredibly poorly when an issue like this crops up. I have had a few people say the same thing to me. On the other hand the local Aldi store has no problems, I've always gotten looked after.
    Unbelievably remiss on Lidl's part, and they have now lost my custom, which in the past amounted to 000's per year. I will never buy anything there any longer now, that isn't something perishable, as you will absolutely get rebuked in unfriendly fashion if you have a problem without a receipt, no matter what kind of relationship you build with the staff in your local branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Orebro wrote: »
    God how our standards have dropped. I remember purchasing TVs and expecting to get at least 20 years out of them.

How much were they compared to a weeks wages?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same experience here. I used to prefer shopping in Lidl over Aldi, but then I found out that they treat people, regular local customers incredibly poorly when an issue like this crops up. I have had a few people say the same thing to me. On the other hand the local Aldi store has no problems, I've always gotten looked after.
    Unbelievably remiss on Lidl's part, and they have now lost my custom, which in the past amounted to 000's per year. I will never buy anything there any longer now, that isn't something perishable, as you will absolutely get rebuked in unfriendly fashion if you have a problem without a receipt, no matter what kind of relationship you build with the staff in your local branch.

It’s not outrageous to expect a customer to keep proof of purchase though is it?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s not outrageous to expect a customer to keep proof of purchase though is it?

It’s not. It’s perfectly reasonable.

But when you’re known by the staff and you shop in a place regularly, it’s also not unreasonable to expect a little bit of lee way either. It’s not like their products are widely available anywhere else.

loki7777 wrote: »
    If you paid by card - you can sort it out by using lidl helpline - just give them amount and date and they will fin receipt for you - then more likely you will ahve to send it to Germany but lidl will get ups to collect it. Did that myself last year.

Handy to know. Thanks.

I haven’t a rashers how I paid at the time. Would rarely use cash..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    I tried to get a petrol hedge trimmer from them replaced under warranty. The shop didn't want to know and sent me off to some supplier in the UK who gave me the run around. I wouldn't buy anything other than food from them these days.

A large phone retailer tried to do similar to me. I politely informed them of Our law and got the item fixed. Too many foreign retailers don't train their staff to our laws and that's where the issue is. Its not the front line staff fault as all companies operate standard practices and if front line staff don't follow company policy they get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Not at all, you're dead right, but as other people have said, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a decent relationship with the staff in your local shop, that you visit daily and spend €€€ in.
    Also, you ring their customer service to enquire as to what you might do to resolve the situation, and they tell you to return to the shop and you will be looked after. When you get there you find these same staff to be resentful of what their own customer service has told you, and absolutely unwilling to remedy the situation in a way that same customer service has directed.
    It is effectively lying to customers and embarrassing them in their own locality. That is a wholly unreasonable and completely unacceptable way to conduct business, and I don't think anyone would disagree??

Anyway.........we are way off topic here; my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

How much were they compared to a weeks wages?
    I bought a 19 inch colour in 1986 which cost £464(€590).
    Easily 3 weeks wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

RHJ wrote: »
    a 'little' over 100 more? where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Orebro wrote: »

Its still working perfectly..........hang on I'll update this thread in 17 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not at all, you're dead right, but as other people have said, it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a decent relationship with the staff in your local shop, that you visit daily and spend €€€ in.

Lidl and Aldi are not mom and pop local stores though. They're generally local stores for thousands of people. There people who go to my local ones regularly bwhonare complete chancers

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RasmusHax

I'd stay away from any hoverboard that doesn't come from a reputable hoverboard brand (Swagtron, GoTrax, HaloBoard etc). As many know, hoverboards have been prone to catching fire and ultimately you just want something you know is gonna last more than two charges... There are some good picks here https://offroadhoverboard.net/best-hoverboard-brands/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RasmusHax

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bit late now lol this thread is from July
    And yet it's a piece of advice everyone can take with them in the future. :-)

As far as I'm aware, a product being own-brand can be considered proof of purchase, can it not?

(ie; you can't have bought it anywhere else?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

How can they call these hover boards if they didn't hover?

Advertisement