Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10k of tax money spent on TD's Christmas Cards

• 11-01-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/its-a-christmas-card-john-but-not-as-we-know-it-2985034.html?start=1

TDs and senators spent more than €10,000 of taxpayers' money on greetings cards to friends and associates at Christmas.

But the Oireachtas could not provide a detailed breakdown to show which TDs or senators had the most cards printed off.

A spokeswoman for the Houses of the Oireachtas said the in-house printing facility was open to all TDs and senators, and 132 availed of it at an average cost of less than half a cent per card.

It comes after Waterford Independent TD John Halligan -- an avowed atheist -- sent out 800 alien-themed Christmas cards to people in Ireland and abroad.

In total, 217,020 cards were printed by the Oireachtas for TDs and senators to use. A spokeswoman said this worked out at 0.044c for each one.

The total bill of €9,622 was made up of €7,166 in paper costs, €2,376 in printing plate costs and €80 on printer ink.

Mr Halligan also admitted sending some out in Oireachtas envelopes, which TDs and senators can post free of charge.

The Oireachtas spokeswoman added that it was impossible to say how many members had done this. "We have no way of knowing whether these cards were posted or not and if they were posted, whether Oireachtas envelopes were used or not," she said.

Mr Halligan said since he was an atheist, he sent out the alien-themed cards -- complete with spaceships -- as an alternative to traditional Christmas scenes.

"I've kept up the reputation of sending an oddball Christmas card to people at Christmastime," Mr Halligan told RTE Radio's 'John Murray Show' yesterday.

"They go down quite well. Often people have rang me and asked me what it's about and I say, 'Well, it's a different card'."

Unbelievable. It's bull**** like this still going on that will see this country never recover from the problems we have now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

They still don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

An atheist sending out alien themed Christmas cards = attention seeking clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Considering what they get paid on an hourly rate, the time they spent talking about this & the number of TDs & Senators involved in the discussion, I would hazard a guess that the overall total cost of this - added to the cost of the cards themselves - would be up on around €30-€40k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

And I wonder who paid for all the envelopes, stamps and the people who had to print the addresses and stuff the envelopes!!

The cards are the tip of the iceberg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When does the straw happen that we just take down the front gates.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 casandra

When will politicians realise that every euro spent is Public money, not theirs. there was another case recently where councilors got free expensive mobile phones and because the money came from an already allocated fund they thought this was o.k, they do not know HOW TO SAVE MONEY !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why does this article seem to be focused around the atheism of one TD and not the sheer stupidity of the whole issue at stake?

Sending out €10,000 worth of Christmas cards using tax money is absolutely daft. What happens to be printed on the cards is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Why is an atheist sending out "Christmas" cards anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

TishyO wrote: »

Who cares, by the same logic why was a christian sending cards for a pagan holiday?

Master of the Universe

And that is exactly what this article wants to sideline you into thinking.

Why do his reasons for sending cards matter? Does the fact that he's an athiest make him more to blame than 131 other TDs who did exactly the same thing?

No. They're ALL equally as stupid for wasting tax money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

just typing up my bill now to see if they'll refund expenses for my cards & pressies!
    can i bill per hour for handmade ones?

start saving now because paddy's days junkets are on the horizon - free holidays all round,this will be insigifant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mentioning his atheism to throw the story off into another direction.

Daft cùnt spending money like should be the focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The athiest cards only represent 0.3% of all cards of €35. Pointless mentioning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Duggy747 wrote: »

I agree. And the worst part of it is that he sent 800. How much administration time did it take to get all of those ready to go out?

Just to be fooked into a bin somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

o1s1n wrote: »
    And that is exactly what this article wants to sideline you into thinking.

Why do his reasons for sending cards matter? Does the fact that he's an athiest make him more to blame than 131 other TDs who did exactly the same thing?

No. They're ALL equally as stupid for wasting tax money.

I'm not stupid and I understood the article perfectly. He was the one mentioned in the article that's why I commented on him.

I think the fact that there is an in-house printing facility for members is a complete waste of money. Why do they need headed note paper with pictures of themselves on it? Why print leaflets and drop them into houses, who reads them?

Master of the Universe

I'm not stupid and I understood the article perfectly. He was the one mentioned in the article that's why I commented on him.

But by even asking why an athiest would be sending christmas cards you've fallen victim to the awful sensationalist journalism.
    I think the fact that there is an in-house printing facility for members is a complete waste of money. Why do they need headed note paper with pictures of themselves on it? Why print leaflets and drop them into houses, who reads them?

Too right, I didn't even know they had an in-house printing facility! It's mind boggling as to why they would need such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It would have paid off for them, they probably received more than €10,000 back with Christmas cards in brown envelopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

$10k is a drop in to ocean when it comes to government spending.

Sure, a TS sending out 800 cards is excessive, but I wouldn't stop then from sending out cards. Even a few hundred is fine.

They're job is to kiss ass, try and get sh!t done and keep their name in people's heads in a positive light.

This is just the media throwing this crap out to the public to fuel the fire and keep the general public opinion leaning towards the negative, recession blah blah, government hating, politician bashing blah blah..

Rabies wrote: »
    $10k is a drop in to ocean when it comes to government spending.

Sure, a TS sending out 800 cards is excessive, but I wouldn't stop then from sending out cards. Even a few hundred is fine.

They're job is to kiss ass, try and get sh!t done and keep their name in people's heads in a positive light.

This is just the media throwing this crap out to the public to fuel the fire and keep the general public opinion leaning towards the negative, recession blah blah, government hating, politician bashing blah blah..

I've no problem with them sending out cards either. Once they pay for them themselves like everyone else does.

They are on salaries of 100k a year or so. So why can't they afford a few Christmas cards out of their own pocket?

Yes, 10k is miniscule in terms of government spending but if they cut out crap like this, the different 10ks wouldn't be long adding up to alot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Where's my fucking card?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

And yet for us, for many people, things are so dire that agreements were made between people and families to forget about exchanging gifts in an effort to save a bit of money. Xmas was cancelled or it was a very low key affair for many, many people.

And politicians are insulting us again by spending more than 10k on xmas cards. That is one expense that they could do away with. But why would they? I'd like to remind people that in decembers they gave themselves and increase in allowances just for this kind of sh1te - office expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

$10k is a drop in to ocean when it comes to government spending. .
    10k is several hospital beds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

10k is several hospital beds

or

113 disabed youngsters could have been spared the 88 euro cut to disability allowance down from what 188? to 100 euro.

Clearly xmas cards are more important than disabled teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Duggy747 wrote: »

The interview was about the unusual nature of the cards, not the taxpayer paying for them. That fact came out at the end of the interview

Lemlin wrote: »
    I've no problem with them sending out cards either. Once they pay for them themselves like everyone else does.

They are on salaries of 100k a year or so. So why can't they afford a few Christmas cards out of their own pocket?

Yes, 10k is miniscule in terms of government spending but if they cut out crap like this, the different 10ks wouldn't be long adding up to alot more.

Don't think they should be made pay for it themselves.
    Have a certain amount that is covered, then anything over they pay themselves.
    Same as the secretarial duties. Some TDs have higher costs than others. Give them an allowance, if they go over, they pay.

ilovesleep wrote: »
    or

113 disabed youngsters could have been spared the 88 euro cut to disability allowance down from what 188? to 100 euro.

Clearly xmas cards are more important than disabled teenagers.
    By that measure, every single thing that the state pays money for is more important than disabled teenagers.

Don't think they should be made pay for it themselves.
    Have a certain amount that is covered, then anything over they pay themselves.
    Same as the secretarial duties. Some TDs have higher costs than others. Give them an allowance, if they go over, they pay.

And why shouldn't they pay for it themselves? Could I have some reasoning behind your argument.

The people who pay taxes to pay these idiots have to pay for their own Christmas cards. In fact, I've yet to hear of a job that covers the cost of Christmas cards for its employees as one of its perks.

To be honest, I don't have any reason behind it. Just my view on it.
    Just what I think.

Thats all :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And I will bet that there's no benefit in kind charge applied to them for this either.

I am getting to the point where I wonder if the old revolutionary concept of storming the place, lining them up against a wall and bringing in the firing squad is a concept that while barbaric by modern standards, it had a good side, which was to focus the minds of the people there on the job they were supposed to be doing.

Lost the plot doesn't even come close.

FG/Labour may well be limited in what they can do by the coalition agreement and the troika, but I don't see much activity on the ground in terms of getting to grips with the massive waste that has been going on for years, and worse, no sense that they have any plan, ideas or motivation to change the underlying attitudes that are there.

Time for some real leadership, instead of the fudge and silence that we're so used to.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

dvpower wrote: »
    By that measure, every single thing that the state pays money for is more important than disabled teenagers.

No, as different things have different priorities.

Christmas cards are right at the bottom, if not THE bottom of that priority list. €10,000 on something so utterly pointless is shocking. That is why people are pissed off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It comes after Waterford Independent TD John Halligan -- an avowed atheist -- sent out 800 alien-themed Christmas cards to people in Ireland and abroad.

Legend

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

No, as different things have different priorities.

Christmas cards are right at the bottom, if not THE bottom of that priority list. €10,000 on something so utterly pointless is shocking. That is why people are pissed off.
    Are the Arts, or the library service or the museum service (or - I could go on - you get the idea) more important than disabled teenagers? If not, should we cut all of these services completely before we make any cuts to disabled teenagers?

Should we cut these services anyway and increase the amount we spend on disabled teenagers?

btw, I agree that we shouldn't be spending anything on TD's Christmas cards. Even if all of the disabled teenagers in the country were being fully taken care of, we shouldn't be paying for TDs to produce Christmas cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i hopw the troika know about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Why does this article seem to be focused around the atheism of one TD and not the sheer stupidity of the whole issue at stake?

Sending out €10,000 worth of Christmas cards using tax money is absolutely daft. What happens to be printed on the cards is irrelevant.

Dear right - spot on!

Who cares, by the same logic why was a christian sending cards for a pagan holiday?

Wallop - ouch! :D

If this was a game of tennis, I'd be shouting "Juice". :pac:

Classic After Hours!
    Ya gotta love it! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

The gravy train is over. Or so we thought.
    How can they justify paying for td Xmas cards - regardless of the amount?... The 'perks' have got to stop.

And I don't see it as a networking type of thing. What on earth will an Xmas card do?!

(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

You should elect me. I haven't sent a greeting card to anyone in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

It will happen as soon as the tax payers demand it.

And by demand it, I mean more than complaining about it under their breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

An atheist sending out alien themed Christmas cards = attention seeking clown.

I'm from Waterford. I agree with you 100%. Why are ANY of these clowns given an allowance to send out Christmas cards? FFS.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

LegBellend
    FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

This is why you don't elect atheists. God bless the usa.

Advertisement