Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled parking spaces

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I know that I, for one, find it difficult transferring in/out of a car if my wheelchair is at a different height.

Ah, now I really get it. It's not a question of having dished kerbs to allow you to get up onto the kerb. It's a question of having your car and your chair at the same level as you exit the car. In fairness, I guess this would be pretty difficult to achieve for an on-street parking bay, particularly at a one-way section of the street. On an ordinary street, you'd have the option of parking in the opposite direction to traffic, so you disembark onto the road, not the path, provided traffic conditions permit of course. On a one way section, this isn't really possible.

Have you seen any good examples of layouts for on-street parking that do suit you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Simply raise the level of the parking spaces, where a high curb exists, so that there is the minimum difference between the parking level and the curb level.

There is also the difficulty for some who exit from the rear of a vehicle. They need a much longer parking space, as well as dishing on the kerb to allow access to the footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RainyDay wrote: »
    Ah, now I really get it. It's not a question of having dished kerbs to allow you to get up onto the kerb. It's a question of having your car and your chair at the same level as you exit the car. In fairness, I guess this would be pretty difficult to achieve for an on-street parking bay, particularly at a one-way section of the street. On an ordinary street, you'd have the option of parking in the opposite direction to traffic, so you disembark onto the road, not the path, provided traffic conditions permit of course. On a one way section, this isn't really possible.

Have you seen any good examples of layouts for on-street parking that do suit you?

Not really no. They're all pretty c**p. Best places are usually hospitals, most public buildings, or shopping centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

When i bring my dad out in his "pope mobile " it drives me mad trying to find a bay in the city centre as we usually have to park facing the traffic because stupid bollards around parking bays mean we never have enough space for the ramp.

RainyDay wrote: »

I have to use a transfer board to get in/out of my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A Ballynacally woman has been put off the road for 6 months for failing to pay an 80 euro fine for illegally parking in a disabled space in Ennis over Christmas.
    Yesterday the court heard she had no previous convictions for parking offences and along with banning her for six months , Judge Durkan imposed a fine of 750 euro and ordered her to pay the council's costs of 100 euro.

http://www.clare.fm/news/6-month-driving-ban-motorist-parked-disabled-spot

Advertisement