Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23 and not a mature student

Options
  • 13-07-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

I'm fairly confused at the minute as to what category I fit into.
    I'm going to go to the Vec or whoever deals with it, but I'll ask here on the off chance someone can help.

I started my first year of college last year. I was 22 on the 1/Jan/2009 so despite the fact I've lived in my own place since I was 17, I was assessed on their income. This meant I was only eligible for a Level 1 Grant.

As far as I can tell, because I was 22 at the start of last year, that means going into second year, despite the fact that I am now 23, I'm still not counted as a mature Student.

What I'm trying to find out is, will I be assessed on my own income this year or will I still be counted as a dependent?

Cheers,
    Philip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

from the sticky thread in the mature students forum:

What is a Mature Student?

A mature student is a student who, generally, is 23 or over on the 1st of January in the year they first start their course.

So even though you are over 23 now, since you started your course before you were 23, you will still be assessed as a dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

I was afraid someone would say that. What a load of ****.

Cheers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I was assessed as a dependant of my parents last year even though I was living away from home for 4 years at that stage and had dependants of my own. They don't care about your own situation, you were either 23 on 1st Jan of that year or you weren't. It's all black & white with them.

Advertisement