Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekends Boxing 14/8 (Eric Donovan v Zelfa Barrett + Frampton/Conlan BT Card)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Nice shots. It took Traynor coming into him to bring him into life.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Frampton looks like he has lead in his boots.

That’s probably because he’s about 140 lbs in there. Probably 10 lbs heavier than any other ring night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

walshb wrote: »
    Have you heard of boxrec?

Actually, forget that. Have you watched the opponents?

No disrespect, but are you on a windup?

MC is 3.5 years in now and has fought nobody...very carefully managed..

Not saying he should have been fighting top rated lads from day 1, but to date, not a single opponent r t you could call quality, or even close to it..Yes, pretty weak opposition..the lad tonight was dire...record or not. Old, stale and smaller man who lasted two rds with Josh Warrington..

The few posts of yours that Ive read seem to be entirely about disrespect in one way or another. You also seem to be talking through your hoop and know sweet fa about pro boxing. Night petal x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Jesus lads why is there so much venom on this thread tonight. Grow up and talk about the boxing not personal insults at contributors. Oíche mhaith daoibh

The few posts of yours that Ive read seem to be entirely about disrespect in one way or another. You also seem to be talking through your hoop and know sweet fa about pro boxing. Night petal x.

Ok, so you were on a windup...

Asking ridiculous questions like who were the weak opponents MC fought?

His whole career to date has been against weak opposition, and even he'd tell you that...

Disrespect because I analyse the fight and give honest and educated assessments on performances and opponents......

Yes, nite nite to you too, sweetheart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Conlan be massive at 122 with hydration. 132-135 in the ring.

Rawling said MC said he can make 122 “easily..“

So, why is he 126 and rippped to shreds?

What are your views on the fight tonight?

He'll definitely be killing himself to get to 122. Always think he looks quite gaunt in the face when making 126 even. 122 is a fairly weak division at the moment though so it's the sensible move.

Thought tonight was standard enough Conlan tbh. Won easy without looking spectacular. He's decent at nearly everything without being elite at anything. You'd hope he can find an extra gear or two as he goes up the levels really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Does anyone know why Ofori here came out to Irish music? Of course maybe he just likes it

reckon they messed up as conlan came out to same song. Also show how feather fisted conlan is when it only took josh warrington 2 rounds to get that guy out and warrington is not known for his punching power.

Morrison J wrote: »
    He'll definitely be killing himself to get to 122. Always think he looks quite gaunt in the face when making 126 even. 122 is a fairly weak division at the moment though so it's the sensible move.

Thought tonight was standard enough Conlan tbh. Won easy without looking spectacular. He's decent at nearly everything without being elite at anything. You'd hope he can find an extra gear or two as he goes up the levels really.

My view as well..

Just not seeing that type explosive fight and action that I expect from top class smaller weight fighters..

He just comes across a little laborious, ponderous and forced...

Maybe my standards are too high, but top class smaller fighters for me should have that real zip, speed, explosiveness and savagery...

MC just doesn’t seem to have it. That lad last night was really weak, yet MC couldn’t put any clear type beating on him..It just felt like he had to try so hard to do any damage..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MC just doesn’t seem to have it. That lad last night was really weak, yet MC couldn’t put any clear type beating on him..It just felt like he had to try so hard to do any damage..

Yes. His lack of power will be his undoing at the highest level.

Yes. His lack of power will be his undoing at the highest level.

He didn't even need "power," just accurate and decent enough clean shots.....

He was missing with so many....

Josh Warrington is not a big hitter, but got that lad out of there in no time....

Improved speed, snap and a little extra spite is what is needed......nothing to do with raw power.....

If the foe was any use I'd reconsider; the guy was desperately weak and poor....he really was.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One thing I will say about Conlan, is that while he's not short on flaws, he's definitely improving under Adam Booth.
    He's in better physical condition, looks leaner, seems stronger, stamina seems decent, and he is boxing better too.
    If he can make that Super-Bantamweight limit without draining himself, it might help with the power issue somewhat too.

Takoucht is no World beater, but he's been a solid fighter on the European stage for some time, and despite Warrington blowing him away, he'd never been stopped before that.
    Warrington might not have dynamite in his hands but I think he's a solid enough puncher. The 7 ko's in 30 fights might say differently, but it's also 7 ko's in his last 15, and Frampton admitted he was hurt several times by him in their fight !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Aye I wouldn't read much into the Warrington - Takoucht fight at all. Sure Warrington nearly had Frampton out in two rounds. He's a come forward fighter. Completely different style to Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the foe was any use I'd reconsider; the guy was desperately weak and poor....he really was.....

This is the point.
    I did not see this particular fight, but based on others i've seen he does not seem to carry the power to put fighters away, which is a huge asset to have against good opposition. Against poor opposition you'll get away with being sloppy, but you still should be putting them away decisively.

Big Ears wrote: »

Takoucht is no World beater, but he's been a solid fighter on the European stage for some time, and despite Warrington blowing him away, he'd never been stopped before that.
    Warrington

He may have been Euro level past tense....

By god he looked dreadful the other night.....really poor

As poor as Quigg looked a few months ago....

I'd like to have seen Conlan do an actual number on him. He needs to be able to put in a beating and a clear solid type win over these lads....

It just looked to much effort, too laborious and tasking before finally the ref stopped it...

Conlan was winning handily, but more because the other lad was just so bad....

I wanted to see far more shots land, with a little more spite and impact....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

listening to donovan on off the ball put me right off him, he was an about he dared to be great and was great, as roy keane would say irish are happy with mediocrity.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    listening to donovan on off the ball put me right off him, he was an about he dared to be great and was great, as roy keane would say irish are happy with mediocrity.

The pro journey for Eric was more like an experience/hobby than any actual aspirations to be a success. That was the vibe I got when he announced his decision to go pro a few years ago..

Nobody was expecting him to do anything of significance..

Anyway, I’m sick to the teeth hearing all the OTT hyped Sh1t on Irish pro boxing. Anytime any of them turn pro it’s “star this, star that, sensation this, sensation that..” we aren’t remotely close to being as good as we spout about..

Morrison...

Is we putting up a thread for tonight??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The pro journey for Eric was more like an experience/hobby than any actual aspirations to be a success. That was the vibe I got when he announced his decision to go pro a few years ago..

Nobody was expecting him to do anything of significance..

Anyway, I’m sick to the teeth hearing all the OTT hyped Sh1t on Irish pro boxing. Anytime any of them turn pro it’s “star this, star that, sensation this, sensation that..” we aren’t remotely close to being as good as we spout about..

Jesus you must get fed up anytime Sky have a boxing card on so !
    Or do you not mind as much when they're British stars/sensations ?

Big Ears wrote: »
    Jesus you must get fed up anytime Sky have a boxing card on so !
    Or do you not mind as much when they're British stars/sensations ?

I was going to include Britain as well..No need now..they are no different..

But I’m Irish, and this forum is Irish, so more highlighted that!!

Advertisement