Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1798 Claimants

Options
  • 30-05-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Findmypast and some other sources allow you to search by name a database of people who made claims for compensation from the government for property destroyed during the 1798 rebellion.
    I found a record for one person, who came from a well-connected loyalist family, claiming for a house burnt, but being refused compensation.
    I could understand a rebel sympathiser being refused, but that does not seem to apply in this case.
    Anyone had any experience of these Claimant records? FMP only gives a transcription, are the full original documents available somewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The records are printed up books and you can see them in the NLI. I compared them once to the transcripts and there was no difference.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement