Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records Released: Valuation Office Books,Original Will Registers,Convert Rolls

Options
  • 14-09-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

All up at Find My Past - Free, must have account.

Claire has all the details, links

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

Valuation Office Books, 1848–1860

Original Will Registers, 1858–1920

Catholic Qualification & Convert Rolls, 1701–1845

Shipping Agreements and Merchant Navy Crew Lists, 1863–1921

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It will also go on the NAI site too.

The will books are amazing!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Incredible... thanks for highlighting the will registers.

Just found my great greatgrandfather's will transcript from 1878 - solved one mystery about what happened to one of his sons - ended up in the Lunatic Asylum. He left another son the farm, and my great grandfather the sum of one shilling! Well that settles why great grandfather's descendants knew nothing of that side of the family.

Will I ever get to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

It isn't complete – there is another sizeable tranche of these books (about one-eigth of the total) still undergoing conservation and cataloguing – so some researchers will find gaps in coverage in the new collection. There is no particular rhyme or reason to the gaps; you may be lucky, you may not.

Very unlucky, in my case.

I can't complain though, I did find one important bit of info looking through these books when they were available on familysearch before.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Now up on the National Archives genealogy site:

http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie/

Will be interesting to compare the 2 search engines.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Will be interesting to compare the 2 search engines.

The NAI site has no log in which is handy and has PDF versions of the records which are much easier to zoom in and also to download.

I'm using SumatraPDF 2.5.1 on my pc which is very lightweight and integrates into the browser.

Yeah, it's already a lot clearer what collections are newly released. I'd love if FMP would refine their search engine.
    Good to have both options available. I have found one or two things I missed on FMP already.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've discovered that when I enter the name in the 'deceased' box I get no results. However, when I enter the same name in the surname/first name boxes I get the relevant will.

Advertisement