Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I swear - you couldn't make this schite up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

he should be put on a ship and sailed off the edge of the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

JustinOval wrote: »
    Evolution is a hoax.

http://imgur.com/XnJyK.jpg

It's 'mothers'. Just saying.

Stooopid believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

JustinOval wrote: »
    It evolved.

blasphemy :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Knowledge economy, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I wonder how much the minister is getting paid for this.

If the catholic church has anything to do with the payment is it not the standard can of coke & a twix? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

I'm tempted to send this to the Minister, but I'll leave it to the more level-headed among us to send more productive messages to him!

Minister,

For feck’s sake, what were you thinking? I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, par for the course in your party, but promoting this putrid nonsense is surely one of your dumber moves. Since you clearly have a very poor grasp of scientific issues, could you not have at least checked with Sir Humphries first? I can confidently predict what his initial reaction would have been : "Minister, Minister, Minister, I implore you to reconsider this inestimable folly!"

Can I recommend some light reading for you that might help you actually understand what evolution is about? Richard Dawkins (yes, the devil himself) has written a very readable book, not quite at the Ladybird books level which might be more to you liking, but a good layman’s introduction to why the vastly overwhelming majority of the world’s biologists are convinced that this theory, the cornerstone of our understanding of all life on earth, is correct. The theory has been assaulted for the last 150 years without success, a tribute to Darwin’s enormous and careful research over many years before publication, unlike John J May’s amateurish tripe. The book by Professor Dawkins is called "The Greatest Show on Earth" and I’m sure Brian your big brother will help you with any long words you don’t understand. (ISBN 978-0-593-06174-9, Bantam Press).
    Actually, you and he do pose a problem for the theory: how can one brother be so much smarter than the other if they both have the same parents? Don’t worry, biology explains that also.

On a serious note, you are the Minister for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources and you should not be putting your reputation behind a book which is more inspired by a daft religious opinion than by solid, peer-reviewed established scientific knowledge. Try to be an inspiration to the students of Ireland who need you to be a role model for rational inquiry into the truth. I’m confident that most of them have the sense not be influenced by your reprehensible lack of judgement. As a Minister, especially with the portfolio you have, you really should know better.

Yours Etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Richard Dawkins thoughts: http://richarddawkins.net/articles/517145-irish-science-minister-to-launch-anti-evolution-book
    Conor Lenihan, Ireland’s Minister of State for Science, is to launch a book this Thursday that describes evolution as a scientific hoax. He says he is doing this because the author is a friend of his. This is an abuse of his Ministerial position, and an attack by the Irish government on both scientists and science education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

I thought this level of idiocy only happened in America; simultaneously hilarious and unbelievable.

Anyone want to submit an article aboue it on Slashdot? (www.slashdot.org) Preferably with a nod to the blasphemy laws as well, to help publicize this and show the whole world what a joke our government is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Dempsey wrote: »
    Only in Ireland!

He should be sacked by Fianna Fail for being an idiot of the highest order

Oh, such ironing..:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

What a crack pot.

He argues the evolution theory, (or mashes it into the ground), but does he have his own 'theory'. I'm sure he doesn't know, just like the rest of us where we came from.

He has that crazy energy of a religious fanatic. Which probably comes from madness.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Did anyone else hear the 30 second ad for this nobber on today fm this afternoon? It was in the middle of the Ray Foley show so I was waiting for the "ha ha, joke" bit. It never came.

Our joke government is making international news again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This bloody country.

For f*ck's sake, I doubt he even has the wit to be embarrassed. This man has made a joke out of us.

Having made it clear he's not at all qualified for a role in science, it's clear to me he shouldn't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Life is a hoax [/NEITZSCHE] :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I used to think FF and FG were basically the same. They're both full of insufferable bandwagoning hacks who seem to care mostly about their own jobs.
    That said, i wonder does FG have the same nutjob fundie streak that FF has?

Probably :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

sligopark wrote: »
    How could evolution be real? We have had 80 years of Fianna Fail and these bunch are the most stupidest useless bunch yet

and yet i have never heard any of them use the phrase "most stupidest" yet:P

• Advertisement

Have a look at the writing at the end of this sales pitch and try not to laugh!

HERE
    One example: On Darwinian evolution - “A fairytale for adults.”
    So, just another random kook on the internet with a self-published book promoting his own ignorance…with one odd twist. He's having a launch party, and the big man doing the introductions is Conor Lenihan, the Irish Minister of State with special responsibility for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources.

Lenihan doesn't seem to have any actual qualifications in science. I think he needs a change of title.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/how_about_the_irish_minister_o.php

Word is spreading: http://snarah.wordpress.com/2010/09/13/the-day-before-the-minister-of-science-was-about-to-launch-a-book-denying-evolution/

http://www.irishrepublican.net/forum/showthread.php?57891-26-country-minister-to-launch-a-book-calling-evolution-a-hoax

Its even on virtual words: http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/science-tech/49040-outrageous.html#post1021190 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Dempsey wrote: »
    Only in Ireland!

Unfortunately no, it's not only in Ireland that such pseudo-science as evilution is preached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just when I thought this crowd of tossers couldn't be more incompetent :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Absolutely disgraceful. He should step down (or be forced out) over this.

This is exceptionally embarrassing on a national level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Apparently the times is reporting that he is pulling out of the launch.

Stand down Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭dasdog

Absolutely disgraceful. He should step down (or be forced out) over this.

This is exceptionally embarrassing on a national level.

That would only happen in a normal political system. These guys have to be pulled away kicking and screaming (see Willie O'Dea) or if they do go they remain in a state of narcissistic denial (see Bartholomew Ahern/Ivor Callely). It appears he is now distancing himself from the author. Well done Oceanclub for highlighting this madness here and on p.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Agent J wrote: »

Stand down Internet.

Oh heavens yes! Do you have any linky for this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Stand down Internet.

Nevermind the Internet, but somebody should be standing down.

It's not the launch itself, the launch only served to reveal to the world that the man in charge of science in Ireland evidently doesn't have any interest or confidence in its practice.

In any grown up country, with a real grown up sense of accountability or cause-and-effect, that would not be an acceptable state of affairs.

Stand down Internet.

Anyone find confirmation?

All I found was: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0913/breaking61.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wonder which God he means.

I thought everyone knew that Vishnu was the god of cell division :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Links234 wrote: »
    What are you guys on about?
    isn't this whole evolution thing bunked already?

I mean, the banana! look at the way it fits perfectly into the human hand

After seeing this I couldn't resist reminding people of this gem again.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Biggins wrote: »

Think that may actually just be Michael Nugent of Atheist Ireland writing on Dawkins' website. At least the Irish Times article seems to attribute quotes from it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Biggins wrote: »

This quote from that article just sums it all up really:
    According to the book’s website Mr May says evolution “cripples sanity, promotes myths and obscures reality”.

The ironing is so delicious!!!

Another case where in front of the rest of the world I feel like doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

This country is turning into one epic facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Folks this kind of **** isn't exactly unique to Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Got this in the Digest email about him withdrawing from the launch; http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0914/1224278831472.html?digest=1

It's actually a bit disappointing, it would have looked 10x worse if it didn't break before the launch and he actually went ahead with it to face the onslaught afterwards. The internet probably did him a favour :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Obviously no-one in the Department has read the book. They're not deliberately promoting an anti-science book, they're accidentally promoting it. Besides, ministers of state are disposable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭celtic Liger

im boycotting the angelus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How does a baby survive for 9 months in a womb, surrounded by liquids and not drown? Thats right - god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Links234 wrote: »
    What are you guys on about?
    isn't this whole evolution thing bunked already?

I mean, the banana! look at the way it fits perfectly into the human hand

If God existed Bananas wouldn't taste completely vile, but they do so he doesn't
    QED

Isnt Evolution supposed to be a theory ?

Isnt Evolution supposed to be a theory ?

Yep, just like gravity and atoms

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

The greatest weapon a fool can have in his arsenal is a snappy catch phrase.
    Some samples from the book;

"...sacrificing reason on the altar of treason..."
    "I'm ALIVE and I've arrived!"

And my favourite from the cat in the hat school of writing;

"You will be shocked, mocked,amazed, dazed, confused, amused, enraged,engaged,but most of all thrilled and mentally fulfilled by the information you are about to read."

qbasic wrote: »

"You will be shocked, mocked,amazed, dazed, confused, amused, enraged,engaged,but most of all thrilled and mentally fulfilled by the information you are about to read."
    In all, he sounds like a total nut-case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I dunno. I think Lenihan's on the right track. I mean, evolution cant be real. Because what we're seeing in this country really refutes it. Our 'leaders' are deevolving. So Einstein theery of evulution most bu bollshit. a ler;agnornbslnl

*eats keyboard

Isn't Evolution supposed to be a theory ?
    Its based on years and years of previous scientific study and analysis and from the surmising of its theory by Darwin in book for, has further been substantiated by further investigation and scientific progression.

...OR look it it this way, its better reasoning than thinking that there is an invisible man living somewhere up above us in the heavens, who we can never see, or touch, that is supposedly pulling our chains for the hell of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

qbasic wrote: »

Guy was born in the wrong country. They'd lap this stuff up in one of the red states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

read page 1 - skipped to page 7 expecting someone to find out this was a mistake - it's not.

i'm depressed - and this take some doing

The fact that our state minister for SCIENCE would even contemplate doing what he was now going to do, is just sheer madness and indicative of a mental state in which he is working, day to day while in office for the supposed betterment for us!

To me thats friggin' scary!
    I mean seriously, anyone that has read some of what this crackpot author has actually written and sees it for what it lacks, reasoning, details and formulated substantiated evidence to back-up his crazy rambling ideas - is living with the author in the land of Lala - not Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Heard the author of this piece of shít on with Ray Darcy. He sounds like Jake Stevens.

• Advertisement

Well, it's clear what's going on here. Disputing evolution, the anti-blasphemy laws, collusion with the church over child abuse allegations. We're slowly being dragged back into the dark ages. What's next? The Spanish Inquisition? Nobody will be expecting that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

We're closer to boston than berlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I dunno. I think Lenihan's on the right track. I mean, evolution cant be real. Because what we're seeing in this country really refutes it. Our 'leaders' are deevolving. So Einstein theery of evulution most bu bollshit. a ler;agnornbslnl

*eats keyboard

and the darwin award is going home with.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Well, it's clear what's going on here. Disputing evolution, the anti-blasphemy laws, collusion with the church over child abuse allegations. We're slowly being dragged back into the dark ages. What's next? The Spanish Inquisition? Nobody will be expecting that!

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

and the darwin award is going home with.....
    This.

• Advertisement
Advertisement