Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that would no longer work if written today

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pretty much all the Carry On films.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Police Academys as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The Police Academys as well.

well, at least theres that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Blazing Saddles.

Way ahead of its time and only the stupidity of modern audiences could get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Way ahead of its time and only the stupidity of modern audiences could get in the way.

And Mel Brooks was poking fun at racism in the film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Plus the fact that it's an outdated style of comedy.

It’s really unlikely that you, as an adult, would like it if it came out today. It’s aimed fairly squarely at children and teenage sense of humour. One of its memorable scenes is about farting because they’re eating beans...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its still too revolutionary ..we still have to catch up with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

branie2 wrote: »
    Vertigo - a man trying to recreate a woman into the dead girlfriend he once loved.

The whole point of the film is that he's messed up.

Weird Science. Two horny young lads create their dream woman so they can get jiggy :D

• Advertisement

Weird Science. Two horny young lads create their dream woman so they can get jiggy :D

The way sex dolls are going, that sounds like a movie from the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - transgender issues

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

branie2 wrote: »
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show - transgender issues

Are you serious? That film is worshipped in the alt community!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

I saw Gone Girl last night on Netflix. Wonder if it would be made today. I also wonder if the book would've been published at all if it was written by a man.

Fincher's scariest movie. Maybe his only horror movie? Alien 3 is more actiony.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Plus one for blazing saddles.

It's funny because when you break the movie down. You see that everyone, bar the sheriff and gene Wilder's character, are absolutely stupid. Everyone of the town folk... Lemar and his goons... All stupid.

Sheriff and wilder are the only normal people in the movie. They're not racist everyone else is :pac:

So all the racist jokes are on them being backwards. At one point even Wilder's character says "they're simple town folk... You know... Morons" :)

I know African people who have said it's a funny movie. They got it. It wasnt a mean spirited racist movie. It's a comedy. It had a story.

Like one of the first jokes in the movie is about not wanting to wreck a train cart so they send a couple of n-word people down instead. Like they're nothing :pac: but it's a story. Your man gets hit with a shovel for ordering that.

By the end of the movie the town folk have changed their racist ways and Lemar and co got what's coming to them. It had a journey ;)

But, being Irish myself, I laugh out loud everytime the mayor says "ok, ok, we'll take the blacks... But we're not gonna take the Irish!" Like we're lowest of the low :pac:

.... Lol.

Plus the fact that it's an outdated style of comedy.

It’s really unlikely that you, as an adult, would like it if it came out today. It’s aimed fairly squarely at children and teenage sense of humour. One of its memorable scenes is about farting because they’re eating beans...

Funny never goes out of fashion; I can watch old silent comedies from 100 years ago and they crack me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Funny never goes out of fashion; I can watch old silent comedies from 100 years ago and they crack me up.

That's certainly not true in every case. Some films, of whatever genre, simply don't age that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Gay Divorcée (1934), starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, is just weird, both in its premise and how it goes about it. Fred and Ginger are famous for their dancing, and there's plenty of that, especially in The Continental, which won the Oscar for Best Original Song:

So far, so Hollywood, but the flimsy story is like something from an alien planet by modern standards. Basically, a woman (Rogers) wants to get a divorce from her (boring) husband, but this is before "no-fault" divorce became legal, so she has to do something to make it happen. So she talks to a shady lawyer, who sets her up to get "caught" by detectives with another man. The man in question is a professional "co-respondent": someone who will play "the other man". Then Fred Astaire shows up, catches her eye, and she thinks he's the "co-respondent" - but it's a case of mistaken identity, and he has no clue what's going on. The whole "set yourself up & get caught to force a divorce" farce makes no sense in a modern context.

She's caught Astaire's eye, of course, and what he does next goes beyond #MeToo in to behaviour that would definitely get him arrested and imprisoned today. She drives off in her car, he chases after her, runs her off the road in to a secluded dead end, and propositions her. She resists, of course, but is secretly flattered, and the rest is singing, dancing and more unfeasible shenanigans, before the inevitable happy ending. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

That's certainly not true in every case. Some films, of whatever genre, simply don't age that well.
    Not slapstick though, show those old silent films to the littlers nowadays and they will love them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bnt wrote: »
    The Gay Divorcée (1934), starring Fred Astaire

"Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, backwards…and in high heels."
    - Bob Thaves

• Advertisement

Not slapstick though, show those old silent films to the littlers nowadays and they will love them.

Why don’t they make many slapstick comedies in that style anymore? If it would sell, they’d make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Sheriff and wilder are the only normal people in the movie. They're not racist everyone else is :pac:

The sheriff is a racist. Remember the scene where he threatens to kill the black guy.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Avatar. Its appeal was the colourful 3D world. Now 3D movies are very common so it would be much less impactful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

seen Changeling the other day, wouldn't work these days, with DNA testing. might make for a very different movie...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Avatar. Its appeal was the colourful 3D world. Now 3D movies are very common so it would be much less impactful.

Oh yes, Pocahontas In Blue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

Avatar was always a mediocre rip-off, and cg had been extensively used for years. Jurassic Park is 15 years older than it. LotR 8 years. More of movies than you'd think are cg heavy. Look up Wolf of Wall Street's use of cg for example.

Avatar did what it did because of hype and marketing.

ijohhj wrote: »
    Avatar was always a mediocre rip-off, and cg had been extensively used for years. Jurassic Park is 15 years older than it. LotR 8 years. More of movies than you'd think are cg heavy. Look up Wolf of Wall Street's use of cg for example.

Avatar did what it did because of hype and marketing.

It also pushed the boundaries for CGI.

I’ve heard that the animated movies are chosen depending on the technology. For example they made monsters inc when they did because they just cracked technology to make Sully’s fur move the way it did. And the same with other animated movies. I don’t know enough about it to know if it’s true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, backwards…and in high heels."
    - Bob Thaves
    That quote gets thrown out whenever Fred & Ginger are mentioned, but it's a drastic oversimplification of what's actually going on e.g. if you watch the short sequence that starts at 4:50 in the video I linked. To "lead" in dancing doesn't mean your partner is passive or "on the back foot", and (besides) Fred didn't do much "leading" on the floor with Ginger.

I recently re-watched Heat (1995), which is very much a "man's movie" about men doing "manly" things - but that's not portrayed as a good thing in the movie or in life. It's practically an examination of "toxic masculinity", with women on the "outside", asking the men "what the hell are you doing?" I think if someone tried to remake that today, that distinction would be lost and you'd see women inserted in to the criminal gang, because women can do everything men can do, right? Sure, they can, but they usually have more sense.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Train Robbers with John Wayne and Ann-Margaret is on at the moment (ITV4). Before going on a journey to find some gold, John Wayne's character gave some practical clothes to Ann-Margaret.

"Pants aren't bad but that shirt. It ought to be tighter. Take it off and I'll boil it"
    "Boil it?"
    "Shrink it up. I want you to stick out in the right places so that anybody a long ways off sees you, there'll be no doubt that you're a woman!.

:D Isn't that how the modern woman wants to be spoken to? (This film was made the year I was born.) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Planes trains and automobiles

Advertisement