Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone be smart?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Here's a question, can anyone be smart (or at the least, most people)? I've been called that once because I seem to be knowledgeable about various topics but I don't think I'm inherently smarter than anyone else, I just read a lot of random stuff and unconsciously remember it. If I had more of a social life, I'd definitely be "less smart".

Now it's not binary thing, you can be smart and social but one can't deny that decreasing the nights you go to the pub and reading a book and things online makes you more knowledgeable. There's no better person just different strokes for different folks.

Even Bill Gates said he always read as a teenager with his friends and when he started Microsoft, never took a day off in his 20's. Sounds like dedication not necessarily a super genius.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

You can be smart and tidy. Spick n’ span

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

A smart move for you would be to enter this competition next week Mr F. You will be a shoe in.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058065567

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Those who decide to use and challenge their mind are smarter than those who would dodge anything that would take a modicum of brainpower to do.

Being smart is an elastic process I think. That is, you can improve your intelligence through reading, challenging it through learning something new and become smarter. However, there is natural smartness wherein you explain something once to someone and they just "get" it like someone who is maths/science inclined.

Mostly though I think people are more knowledgeable in some area and not so good in others.

And OP, yes, there are most definitely some very stupid people out there. Just give it a few years and you'll be meeting all sorts of dumb people.
    So many different types of dumb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In these tricky times, it's good to know that constants like a Mr. Fegelein thread is there to help keep the spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. Some people aren’t smart enough to use the intelligence they were born with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's different types of intelligence - academic, artistic etc.

Some people have intellectual disabilities, and if severe they can't live independently.

Some can be academically gifted but lack life skills and basic cop on.

Some can be all rounders, academically intelligent and good life and social skills.

Some people are just thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Some people are just thick.

Some people are not thick enough. I mean if you are thick enough you'll go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I've been called that once because I seem to be knowledgeable
    Sweet Jesus.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus.

You said it. Nobody f*cks with the Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Most people can be smart.

• Advertisement

In these tricky times, it's good to know that constants like a Mr. Fegelein thread is there to help keep the spirits up.

No need to be smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Being astute and measured are very important, i know loads of very smart but its all book stuff.
    They have limited intelligence and lacking in decision making, will always need ask someone else.
    Me i am pretty average. I have a friend who has Masters in few areas, we play online quiz pretty well
    every day and we are about the same, i do slag her.
    She always says "Education has nothing to do with intelligence"

No need to be smart.

I'm being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Knowledge and intelligence go hand in hand though they are not the same.
    You can be knowledgeable about a subject which makes you smart on the subject. A greater intelligence allows you to use the knowledge in a smarter way.
    Most subjects only require studiousness to suceed in. Maths and physics imo beed brain power. I don't do either of these :( .

I'm being honest.

*Whoosh*

*Whoosh*

"Honesty is my only excuse"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We all have strengths and weaknesses. Some people I know who are extremely successful in life and business are not smart in an academic sense at all, but they're driven and they leverage their strengths.

Many Really really smart people dont take advantage of their natural academic intelligence.

So, no not everyone can be 'smart' but smart is only one aspect of life and success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Knowledge =/= smart or intelligence, not really.

For the average human, it may fit that definition. But not for me, for you can have all the knowledge in the world; but if you don't have an ounce of common sense, then to me you're as intelligent as mud. I see plenty of people out there with degrees and all these fancy academic achievements; and yet so many no longer possess (if they ever did) the tiniest crumb of common sense. For example, making decisions without first consulting or seeking the opinions of those that it directly affects or those with actual experience of the matter at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

We all have strengths and weaknesses. Some people I know who are extremely successful in life and business are not smart in an academic sense at all, but they're driven and they leverage their strengths

Right. I’m getting a levergym

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Every day you learn something new, it doesn't matter if its something great or something trivial. " if nobody famous said the above, f-ck I'm claiming it"

• Advertisement
Advertisement