Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do parents genuinely know if their children are ugly?

• 14-03-2020 9:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

When the kids are adults or are they too blinded by their affection for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

You can love ugly people too OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Ask your parents hun. xoxoxo

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Caryatnid wrote: »

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

What's your opinion on this vital matter mr_fegelien?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

100% no
    At the time they are the most beautiful things in the world

Looking back at old pics - where they really that fat and dribbly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Of course you are aware of how your kids compare to societal norms - all societal norms. It's practically all parents do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Caryatnid wrote: »

Oh they know he's ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

And he's back!! Urgent issue to solve!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Oh they know he's ugly.

In all seriousness, I think I am unattractive because I'm too dark skinned. I'd like to use a skin lightener to go a few shades lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

And he's back!! Urgent issue to solve!

He ain't got **** on iloveyourvibes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I think that's enough of this thread, or as the midwife told your mother "this is going to get ugly".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Oh a new joke thread.

Op was sooo ugly the midwife slapped his mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Have you never fallen in love with unattractive person? You are aware that they are but they are "your" unattractive sweetie.

One of my friends had the most ugly baby I had ever seen. It was really hard to me to find something to complement, when I first saw it. I lost contact with her for years. And I met her accidentally years later with that daughter. Wow! This ugly baby become a beautiful girl.

In all seriousness, I think I am unattractive because I'm too dark skinned. I'd like to use a skin lightener to go a few shades lighter.

If you really think it's true, tell it to all these "orange" people out there...

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Mums think their baby is beautiful no matter what they look like, it's built into the brain to make sure the less attractive babies are still cared for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

tmabr wrote: »
    Looking back at old pics - where they really that fat and dribbly?

Telling you. If I didn’t have snot caked into my face it wasn’t a photo op

All babies look roughly the same though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭davidk1394

JoChervil wrote: »

You mean in the eye of the beer holder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

that reminds me of the scene from ''the guard'' where one lad ask's the other if he wants to see a picture of his baby and the other lad replies something like ''no sure they all look the same unless one of them is ugly and i don't want to see a picture of an ugly baby''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure to be honest.
    I do know some people settle for partners that were below there standards previously. So maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They used to say in the UK that all babies looked like Winston Churchill...

Every baby is totally beautiful to its parents... and define "ugly" also? I have never really seen a physically ugly person; each is different is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s not even our final form. I recall in pictures I had light blonde, curly clown hair offset by a toxic green whilst a half irani cousin was already sporting sideburns however I became that dark whilst she went on to become a little too hirsute.

Looked like pennywise in my onesie and all, some contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I miss going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Have you never fallen in love with unattractive person? You are aware that they are but they are "your" unattractive sweetie.

One of my friends had the most ugly baby I had ever seen. It was really hard to me to find something to complement, when I first saw it. I lost contact with her for years. And I met her accidentally years later with that daughter. Wow! This ugly baby become a beautiful girl.

Looking into the cot you could always say 'the blanket's lovely'

But you're ok yourself, the ugly's on the inside....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah, parents are blind to that stuff. Most can't even see that their little shit is a noisy, smelly, unruly little bollix either.

Some are right though, a lot of babies looks the same (understandably). But the "ugly" ones do indeed stick out, you know, the ones that most other people would say only a mother could love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭teddy_303

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

And other shibboleths peddled by ugly people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No, they haven’t a clue. You get these lumps plopped down on the floor, noses “caked” with snot and chins soaked in slobber but still the new parents are smitten.

It’s probably an “evolutionary” thing. Their crap isn’t supposed to smell as bad to the parents either.

My kids are pretty cute but when I look back at some of the early photos they don’t look exactly as I remember. Still cute though.

I’d say other parents get more of a shock when they seen the “gremlins” they used to fawn over and parade around.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I have a nephew who is an extremely ugly child. He's so ugly that it upsets me to look at him for too long.

My absolute waster of a brother had a child with the sort of overweight woman who drinks pints of Bulmers in the worst pub in town on a Tuesday night.

The resulting monstrosity looks a little bit like that kid in Mad Magazine, only with some uniquely Irish features; the oversized ears, a mouth where it looks like the teeth are trying to get as far away from each other as possible, that deathly pale skin with clusters of yellow freckles, and small beady suspicious eyes.

...shibboleths...

TIL! Completely unnecessary word for it though. Still like it!

'Male travellers marrying female travellers under the age of 16 is a shibboleth!' (if I understand it correctly)

TIL! Completely unnecessary word for it though. Still like it!

'Male travellers marrying female travellers under the age of 16 is a shibboleth!' (if I understand it correctly)

It's fine in the context I used. It's a belief held by ugly people.

And I will now shoehorn the word into my next 10 posts just to be stubborn.

It's fine in the context I used.

Sorry, I meant it's an unnecessary word in general, and one which really makes no sense unless you know what it means! Couldn't even guess that one tbh.

But yes, overuse of this word has now ensued.

Sorry, I meant it's an unnecessary word in general, and one which really makes no sense unless you know what it means! Couldn't even guess that one tbh.

But yes, overuse of this word has now ensued.

Shibboleth.

In all seriousness, you need to sort your fcuking life out mate.

Theres 2 options here.

1. All your threads are genuine, get a professional mental health check.

2. All your threads are bollox, get a professional mental health check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

In all seriousness, you need to sort your fcuking life out mate.

Theres 2 options here.

1. All your threads are genuine, get a professional mental health check.

2. All your threads are bollox, get a professional mental health check.

His threads are fine, dude. What makes them all the better is how salty they make some of the angry old-timers around here.

Another thing new parents bang on about is that “new baby” smell.

Sure, it’s there for a, very, short while but after a couple of weeks you just smell piss, old milk and baby vomit.

Same goes for the house. It’s like having cats.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

His threads are fine, dude. What makes them all the better is how salty they make some of the angry old-timers around here.

Yeah youre right, my bad.

Im a salty c.unt, got a case of da'Cronas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My mother has basically told me that I wasn't the best looking. Not in mean way. She just didn't want me getting notions about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

It bonkers the responses on after hours threads. Sense of humour transplants required.
    Some of the OPs threads are very thought provoking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hoboo wrote: »
    He ain't got **** on iloveyourvibes

Or that one who’s seen everything, done everything, been everything, just everything everything, G7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Absolutely, but eh what are they gonna do?

*Put up to adoption*

Aww now that's just sad. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

That particular poster likes to emerge from the shadows to take potshots at people, especially if they’re backed up by their mates and the moderators.

My advice is that it’s best to ignore them.

I'm more surprised that ye folk actually remember the posters names. Only for all the giving out, I wouldn't know Amy from Adam when a topic is posted (nor care!). Some topics I will reply to, others I won't, even if they're not designed to actually discuss the topic at hand, I find if people actually do, it defeats the purpose of the thread to begin with, and may even lead to a good thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm more surprised that ye folk actually remember the posters names. Only for all the giving out, I wouldn't know Amy from Adam when a topic is posted (nor care!). Some topics I will reply to, others I won't, even if they're not designed to actually discuss the topic at hand, I find if people actually do, it defeats the purpose of the thread to begin with, and may even lead to a good thread!
    I recognise a few people, mainly the ones who like to slither from the gutters they’re living in to have a go at me. I don’t mind but what usually happens is I’ll have a pop back, hand their arse to them and they go telling on teacher (the moderators) to grass me up. Anyway they’re the ones I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You'd miss Srameen getting the first dig in, I think it made his day.

You'd miss Srameen getting the first dig in, I think it made his day.

Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

No such thing as an ugly child

No such thing as an ugly child

Oh yes there is!

Advertisement