Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual things you've eaten?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

isohon wrote: »
    Oh that is disappointing to hear. What was wrong with it? Would you generally be an adventerous eater?

I do like spicy foods but this was for youtube. We'd (3 of us) eaten a ghost pepper a few weeks prior and I found that to be not that bad so I went into the Reaper a bit too cocky. Lol.

Ghost pepper Scoville rating - 1041427 SHU
    Carolina Reaper - 1569300 SHU

According to Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,506 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dog soup
    Live octopus
    Silkworms

All korean delicacies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Squirrel brains

Cow Tongue

And Gila Monster once, but took a lot of Tequila to knock the stink off that lizard,heh.

Cow tongue is unusual? Growing up in the Continent is very different so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had Dog last time I was in China.

Have to say it was really disappointing meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Cow tongue definitely not unusual in Ireland, my mother would often prepare it.... Tongue sandwiches were a staple of picnics in my childhood. I recall a butcher off Smithfield square with tongues and oxtails hanging in the window.

Unusual? Possibly whichitty grub (probably not how it's spelt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Cow tongue, just from local butcher.
    Birds nest soup in KL
    Pigeon burger in KL

Birds nest soup is fab but pigeon is vile and I wouldn't of eaten it if they told me it was pigeon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Dried African worms. Awful.

Russian lard. 100% fat. A delicacy apparently.....me balix ,

I wholeheartedly do not recommend either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I had sea urchin soup in Vietnam. It was actually pretty tasty. Supposed to be an aphrodisiac too.

_Brian wrote: »
    I had Dog last time I was in China.

Have to say it was really disappointing meat.

Agreed. Not very enjoyable. Wrong texture to the meat regardless of the spices thrown on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

Speedsie wrote: »
    Cow tongue definitely not unusual in Ireland, my mother would often prepare it.... Tongue sandwiches were a staple of picnics in my childhood. I recall a butcher off Smithfield square with tongues and oxtails hanging in the window.

Unusual? Possibly whichitty grub (probably not how it's spelt!)

It is considered unusual and a delicatessen where I grew up in Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ccarrageen moss pudding.

It looks like a panna cotta, not so much with the taste

It is considered unusual and a delicatessen where I grew up in Mexico.

Sorry, I was responding to newirishman who was surprised that tongue was unusual in Ireland as it's popular on the continent.

Never liked seeing the taste buds on a tongue before it was peeled.

Also have just recalled eating a goats eyeball from a goat that had been roasted over a wood fire. Back in the 80s, can't really recall what it was like, think it was more a texture than a taste. The goat stank to high heaven though, add is their wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Rocky Mountain Oysters (horse version)

Best not to Google it if you're male ;)

nihicib2 wrote: »

Oh yeah, had that too.... But the beef version... ;)

The mother used to serve up gizzard as well, and heart, pig's head etc. Didn't mind it at all, but never liked kidneys.
    We ate a lot of offal in the 70s & 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

nihicib2 wrote: »

Pork version was called mountain oysters,heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Puffin, in Iceland. Ok.
    Fermented shark, in Iceland. Fishy.
    Fermented herrings, in Sweden. Vile.
    Chocolate-covered ants. Chocolatey.
    Deep-fried grasshoppers. Like prawns with the shells on.
    Brawn. Can't remember, was a toddler!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cooked bananas.

Very starchy, tasted like potatoes.

The unusual part was your brain telling you if it looks like a banana it should taste like a banana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pig brain soup in Vietnam.

Took one sip / bite of that slimy sh1te and puked my ring up all over the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Pig brain soup in Vietnam.

Took one sip / bite of that slimy sh1te and puked my ring up all over the street.

Is there anything to be said for a bit of chicken when on holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cooked bananas.

Very starchy, tasted like potatoes.

The unusual part was your brain telling you if it looks like a banana it should taste like a banana.

Plant / plain / plantain. Any coincidence I wonder

• Advertisement

Most of the things I would have tried that are unusual have already been mentioned on the thread. A big +1 from me on the mention of chicken hearts though. Really good.

Only thing I have had not mentioned yet would be broth made from human placenta.

Most of the things I would have tried that are unusual have already been mentioned on the thread. A big +1 from me on the mention of chicken hearts though. Really good.

Only thing I have had not mentioned yet would be broth made from human placenta.

I might ask butcher about chicken heart. That's a few thumbs up now for them.

Just searched 'chicken heart recipe' and boards has provided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I once ate a burger made out of Play Doh. I also ate a nun's arse through a convent gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus ye are some sick feckers. Who in their right mind would even want to try eating a tarantula? Sickos...

On that note, when I was a kid, I used to eat:

Briquettes
    Coal (somehow really tasty iirc)
    Firelighters
    Lead from pencils (not a lot though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I saw the pressed sliced version at a cooked meat counter in Dunnes recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Oh that is disappointing to hear. What was wrong with it? Would you generally be an adventerous eater?

Well it was deep fried and generally tasted like something that had been left in the fryer for too long. Left a horrible, lingering aftertaste though.

Put me off being an adventurous eater for a while! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think I've lost my appetite for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I used to eat Vaseline as a kid of 9 or 10, someone dared me once in school when we were smearing it all over balloons (I know what you're thinking) making papier maché Halloween masks (it stopped them from sticking). I liked the taste and texture of it in my mouth and did it for a while.
    Can't remember if it ever gave me the trots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Didn't consider myself to have eaten strange things but have eaten:

Iguana stew
    Banana stew
    Plantain
    Shark fin soup
    Calamari
    Lionfish
    Tripe
    Drisheen
    Goat (not sure what part of it)
    Crocodile
    Kangaroo
    Crickets
    A variety of street foods in parts of the Carribbean and Thailand (not sure what)

Wouldn't consider myself to be adventurous, I shy away from shellfish and most seafood normally ... But have eaten prawns, crab, raw salmon, beef carpaccio, sushi

• Advertisement

How do people eat food when they don't know what it is? The amount of ye saying ye had (usually Asian) street food but aren't sure what it was...

Imagine that in the sex trade; 'I went there for the ride last night. Not sure what it was I screwed, but I came anyway. [Would/Would not] recommend'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Obviously the legs would irritate and catch in your throat. And tie in knots and make you choke :eek:( Feel sick after writing that and deserve to!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Shiokara (squid guts - truly awful)
    Hedgehog - Not bad at all.
    Earthworms in an omelette - ok.
    Dogfood - delicious when you are hungry.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

How do people eat food when they don't know what it is? The amount of ye saying ye had (usually Asian) street food but aren't sure what it was...

Imagine that in the sex trade; 'I went there for the ride last night. Not sure what it was I screwed, but I came anyway. [Would/Would not] recommend'

The biggest lesson I learned while living in Asia was not to ask what things were. There's quite a lot of food that tastes sublime, but once you find out what it was... or how it was cooked, and I was very reluctant to try it again. Some of it is simply cultural, others cringe worthy. Snake was the big one for me. Quite enjoyed it in a variety of dishes, but couldn't eat them again once I found out what the meat was.

As for the sex comparison.. It's a silly comparison.

As for the sex comparison.. It's a silly comparison.

It's not really though. You're taking a chance eating something you've no idea of what it is. Could be deep fried human dong for all you know. More the action than the bits involved, but same idea. (Actually, suppose it's like a one night stand. Take a chance and it's either enjoyable or not, and you could end up with some disease from it - for example, Covid in case of weird animals (bats or pangolins), gonorrhea (or other) for the sex).

Still though, there are some things that just shouldn't be eaten, and not just by western standards. Snake, for example, is not recommended simply because it has a crap tonne of bones, is dangerous to catch and is not all that nice unless marinated in a restaurant to make it not chewy (allegedly, I will never eat snake). Similarly, why in any gods name would you eat a deep fried tarantula?!

I tried to Google if they're safe to eat, but I'm an arachnophobe so just can't... If I don't know what something is, I will straight up refuse to eat it. And especially street food. I need to be mouldy drunk to eat from a street food vendor, and even then it's still 'normal' food, like burgers, hotdogs, etc. Just can't wrap my head around eating what some Asians eat... Seems to be working out well for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Kangaroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Basashi (Raw horse)
    Crickets
    Dried caterpillars
    Ants
    Scorpion
    Shark
    Ostrich
    Crocodile
    Kangaroo
    Buffalo
    Zebra
    Dog food?

It's not really though. You're taking a chance eating something you've no idea of what it is. Could be deep fried human dong for all you know. More the action than the bits involved, but same idea. (Actually, suppose it's like a one night stand. Take a chance and it's either enjoyable or not, and you could end up with some disease from it - for example, Covid in case of weird animals (bats or pangolins), gonorrhea (or other) for the sex).

Ahh well, I find it an oddball analogy.
    Still though, there are some things that just shouldn't be eaten, and not just by western standards. Snake, for example, is not recommended simply because it has a crap tonne of bones, is dangerous to catch and is not all that nice unless marinated in a restaurant to make it not chewy (allegedly, I will never eat snake). Similarly, why in any gods name would you eat a deep fried tarantula?!

By western standards? I don't think you really comprehend what western nations invariably eat in their own countries. I suspect you mean Ireland/UK standards... because even the US has a range of food which could be considered quite dodgy depending on which state you're in.

I never paid much attention to what was recommended or not in regards to food. Every culture has a different opinion as to what's right or wrong. There's plenty of activities/habits that Asians find weird in Westerners...

Lets take pork/bacon for example. Terribly unhealthy food. Do I care? Nope. Do you care? Probably not... because it's culturally familiar to you.

As for snake, I've had it about 9 times. Twice intentionally, and both in top restaraunts in HK. The other times, I simply didn't translate the local language before eating it, and found out during/after the meal. Dealing with face/respect is sometimes quite important, so it's not the case of being able to refuse certain dishes. The mother of my ex, had a family recipe for chicken feet... <shudders> I hate the stuff, but I'd still finish of ten or more of them to give respect.

I guess it's different when you're a tourist, but I live in Asia, China in particular. I travel a fair bit, and exploring local culture is very important to me, with food being one of the best way to talk to locals. After being there a decade, I tend to go with the flow with most things. Saying that, really exotic things such a snake or a lot of what's mentioned here is rare.
    I tried to Google if they're safe to eat, but I'm an arachnophobe so just can't... If I don't know what something is, I will straight up refuse to eat it. And especially street food. I need to be mouldy drunk to eat from a street food vendor, and even then it's still 'normal' food, like burgers, hotdogs, etc. Just can't wrap my head around eating what some Asians eat... Seems to be working out well for them!

Ahh I haven't eaten tarantula. I've also avoided most other "bugs". I've tried a few varieties, but mostly for dares on dates.

As for it working out well for them... Until Corona, people pretty much ate whatever they wished. I've had really oddball things in Eastern Europe, especially in the Balkan areas. Even Italy and Spain produced some weird dishes on occasion. I think it's easier to judge now, when before it was just a weird practice.. now it's becoming widely known it's risky. I'm sure most people are like myself, and we didn't really think about food beyond whether it gave the ****s or other immediate problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The leg of a baby sheep. (Ireland)

Also, lobster and prawns.. who was the first maniac that decided to eat them? I love them, but the state of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

'normal' food, like burgers, hotdogs, etc.

When you consider what goes into burgers, hotdogs, etc.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In Ireland :

Frogs legs.
    Chicken hearts.
    Lamb tongue.
    Octopus.
    Pigeon.
    Aligator.
    Sweetbreads.
    Beef tendon.
    Tripe.
    Brawn.
    Pigs feet.
    Chicken feet.
    Pig intestine.
    Cows stomach.
    Cooked blood.
    Periwinkle.
    Razor fish.
    Beef heart
    Drisheen.

Abroad :
    Sea cucumber.
    Abolone.
    Bull balls.
    Reindeer.
    Donkey.

Probably more that I've forgotten.
    Not all unusual for many people.

Points taken!

I do get my burgers from the butcher and while I said hotdogs, I rarely eat them. (Saying that, best hotdog I ever had was from one of those vans walking home after a nightclub in Limerick. Don't know if anyone remembers him, Dutch lad I think. Basically made a very drunk me a hotdog with black pudding and a friend egg. Amazing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Lots of dogs.

Advertisement