Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to start charging 1c per contactless payment and additional charges.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

problem is interest rates are zero - so they either apply negative interest rates to money in your account or make a small charge.

You'll find all the banks will be doing this. At the end of the day, the service has to be paid for and if there is no value for the money sitting in your account for the bank, the money as to come from elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭sonic85

It's so fcuked up that banks can target the poor fcukers (like myself) that dont have a certain level of savings. Doesn't make much sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Use Revolut. Transfer enough each month, they're charging for everytime you use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Guess we will all go back to inserting the card and putting in the pin for each transaction, assuming it is only for contactless based on the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jet Black wrote: »
    Use Revolut. Transfer enough each month, they're charging for everytime you use now.

Revolut are charging now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Bank switching rates here are still very poor, about 1% so until that changes, banks will screw people over simply because the majority just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

silver2020 wrote: »
    You'll find all the banks will be doing this.
    From my experience so far BoI is by far the worst for charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I use revolut for all my banking bar my salary transfer. Which i just send to revolut using auto topup.

No charges.

Feck AIB. They make plenty of money off your money. This is just greed and should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why do people have a problem with a company charging for its service? I am not being smart - it's a genuine question. It's a business, which provides services so it's charging for them. Same as any business, which is accepted as it should be. Why the exception for banks? "They make plenty of money" doesn't mean some services should be free. That could be said about any company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how long can revolut go on providing a free service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

how much has that particular bank cost the taxpayer in the last 40 years

they should have been put out of business years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Why do people have a problem with a company charging for its service? I am not being smart - it's a genuine question. It's a business, which provides services so it's charging for them. Same as any business, which is accepted as it should be. Why the exception for banks? "They make plenty of money" doesn't mean some services should be free. That could be said about any company.

banks dont 'store' your money, they are using them for loans making significant amount of profit on it so charging you extra for card transactions (on the top of quarterly fees) is just too much. I've left this kip called AIB years ago and never looked back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'll keep moving so long as there are other cheaper alternatives that allow me keep more of my money in my back pocket.

That's just business as you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Guess we will all go back to inserting the card and putting in the pin for each transaction, assuming it is only for contactless based on the statement.

What do you think it is, the 2010s.

I'll keep moving so long as there are other cheaper alternatives that allow me keep more of my money in my back pocket.

That's just business as you say.

Extremely sensible. But it doesn't answer my question - why do people have such a problem with a business charging for a service? You even say you switch for the cheapest service - nothing about the free-est service.

Do people think AIB is the only bank that charges too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why do people have a problem with a company charging for its service?

Because its a sneaky charge that they know they will get away with as for most people changing bank is too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Greyfox wrote: »
    Because its a sneaky charge that they know they will get away with as for most people changing bank is too much hassle.

How is a well-publicised charge "sneaky"?

Greyfox wrote: »

+1
    on the top, they're going to sell their atms to euronet so another 2euros charge for atm withdrawals ... great bank aib is

How is a well-publicised charge "sneaky"?
    And it's for a service. It's not for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

+1
    on the top, they're going to sell their atms to euronet so another 2euros charge for atm withdrawals ... great bank aib is

Link to this important news please

Link to this important news please

https://www.independent.ie/business/aib-sells-500-atms-to-american-cash-management-company-38996855.html

further read:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/banks-plan-to-sell-off-a-thousand-of-their-atms-38897781.html

quoted 'People in other countries are charged fees of up to €3 every time they want to withdraw cash from independently operated ATMs.

Chairman of the Consumers' Association Michael Kilcoyne warned the same was likely to happen here.
    and
    'Some independently operated ATMs in this country already have charges for tourists whose home account is not in euro. The fees are up to €3.95 for withdrawing their funds in euro.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1
    Only the ones in shops, shopping centres etc. not the ones in the banks themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

I meant about being charged 2 euro

2euro was just a hint, it will be most likely more

Alun wrote: »
    Only the ones in shops, shopping centres etc. not the ones in the banks themselves.

...valid point but who is gonna to drive to the branch to use banks own atm?

And it's for a service. It's not for nothing.

Surely the service is more or less automated though??

Kinda like garages providing air for pumping wheels,pubs providing tap water for non-drinkers,

yes its a service,but the costs are minimal to the business and just strikes as ryanair business model of bleeding money from every little thing possible,

Does anyone honestly believe it will stay at 1c??

...valid point but who is gonna to drive to the branch to use banks own atm?
    If I need cash, which these days is becoming a rarer and rarer thing, I get it out when I happen to be near a banks ATM. Lasts me for months these days. My wife and I only made 10 ATM transactions between us in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why can't they just jack up the charges on the sub-€2.5K untermensch instead?

• Advertisement

Surely the service is more or less automated though??

Kinda like garages providing air for pumping wheels,pubs providing tap water for non-drinkers,

yes its a service,but the costs are minimal to the business and just strikes as ryanair business model of bleeding money from every little thing possible,

Does anyone honestly believe it will stay at 1c??
    Garages have to pay for the equipment for providing air and water, and pay for maintenance and repairs when idiots drive away with the hose still attached or drive over the nozzle.

Similarly banks have to pay for the ATM's and the maintenance thereof, including filling them with cash. Presumably the costs of doing this in third party locations are higher than for the in branch machines.

Advertisement