Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Larson Cartoons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a short lived animation series taking inspiration from the Farside. iirc was shown late Friday nights on BBC2.

There's some clips on Youtube

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

De Bhál wrote: »
    I don't get the one above with the woman asking the man to play some blues?
    The couple are so rich and well off in their big mansion that she wants him too play some blues for a change.

JupiterKid the Interesting Maps is one of my favourite threads I've ever seen on any forum and now you have smashed it out of the park again. Keep em' coming! :)

elephant%2Bplaying%2Bpiano.tiff
    770a1908e3183fc03330b83d5e2c644f.jpg
    10dd875a3140a67ccb7beff7dfe408ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one that didn't make it into the newspapers (for obvious reasons) but appeared in his excellent "Prehistory of the Far Side" book:

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Love this stuff, used to spend hours in Easons reading the books when I was a nipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Little Larson trivia. The spikey bit on the end of a stegosaurus tail is officially called a Thagomizer after this cartoon.

Thagomizer.png

Just copped it's missing the caption

"And this end is called the Thagomizer, after the late Thag Simmons"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I was unsure what to buy my best mate for Christmas but now - Bingo!!
    Thank you Jupiterkid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Love Gary Larson, looked at his shop there and realized we had nearly all the books growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

they even named a beetle after him. One of the greatest single-panel cartoonists of all times. I have most of his stuff since i was a sprog and I still read them and get a laugh out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A few of my favourites. :)

dog-translator.jpg?w=1400

67661bbc78344ddcbd321a835c81ddb9.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

2dz4qe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

497988.JPG
    My all time fav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

De Bhál wrote: »
    I don't get the one above with the woman asking the man to play some blues?
    Is it that they are living in a elegant mansion, and he is playing a grand piano?
    Blues music is the music of the downtrodden, poor folk, who might play the blues on a mouth organ.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh yeah, Larson is magic, one of the greatest ever. These days I also like Stephan Pastis' "Pearls Before Swine" and Nathan Pyle's "Strange Planet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Ipso wrote: »
    far_side.jpg
    This one generated a lot of complaints from people who took it to mean she was having sex with gorillas. Obviously it actually didn't mean that at all, and Jane Goodall herself didn't have any issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Fans of Gary Larson may also enjoy the work of Jack Handey. He doesn't do illustrations but does what he calls "Deep Thoughts". They are basically just funny little one liners but I think he's great. I know it's not quite on topic but it's related enough I think, here are a few.

1. It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

2. If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go limp, because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey, free dummy.

3. If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

4. To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.

5. If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

6. Better not take a dog on the Space Shuttle, because if he sticks his head out when you're coming home his face might burn up.

7. To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad.

8. I'd like to see a nude opera, because when they hit those high notes I bet you can really see it in those genitals.

RayCon wrote: »
    497962.jpg

I don't get this one

Nor I. First I noticed the marble behind the piano looks like a shaft so was looking for other phallic items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I don't get this one
    Blues is music from oppressed and impoverished black people that expresses the pain of that situation. Andrew has no reason to have the blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another loved one.

69eecf31ebbc6b4e1ca02c7a8745d943.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I don't get this one

Its kind of like what would these people know about the blues ? Blues is all about hardship and how tough you have it. Its like sweet little female creche teachers belting out gangsters paradise or something.
    Never sounds funny when its explained, sorry :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I do enjoy Larson’s cartoons.

xkcd is probably my favourite though.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    'Tis a fine cartoon but sure 'tis no Larson.

yes, appears to be the work of Tim Whyatt, an Australian

of a similar style and the humour is more modern because they are more recent works.

pretty good though

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/JaneyB1972/whyatt-cartoons/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

wpid-Photo-Nov-23-2012-1039-AM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

tyjrhe.JPG

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

This one generated a lot of complaints from people who took it to mean she was having sex with gorillas. Obviously it actually didn't mean that at all, and Jane Goodall herself didn't have any issue with it.

When Jane Goodall was working in a college, one of her colleagues jumped straight to outrage mode and took the cartoon to Goodall, shouting that it was horrible and all that.Goodall laughed out loud when she checked out the cartoon and had no issue with it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

:eek::eek::eek::eek: omg thats horrible!!!

Oddly enough, his publishers thought so too and it was never actually published. I think the only place it ever appeared was in the Pre-History of the Far Side book. It's my absolute favourite cartoon of his. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I always loved how much mileage he got out of a desert island. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Fave is probably the monster under the bed terrified in case there is a child on top of the bed. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I used to love reading them in the paper. Alot of them I didn't get but still, the ones I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hibble

Great thread, really enjoying it.
    Not our man but given the time of year I hope you'll let me away with this. Always leaves me with a smile.

Advertisement