Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currywurst

• 19-09-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

No not the worst curry you've ever had, but the Germany delicacy of sausage covered in curry powder and ketchup served with some pomme frittes covered in mayo.

🙈🙉🙊

Comments

is this a question or

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

bluewolf wrote: »
    is this a question or

Just hungry

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They are pretty tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Wunderbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Lovely stuff. Lidl or Aldi must be sellong the curry ketchup and the sausages. Give it a try if you haben't before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Great stuff, they have it in Lidl at the moment but it just isn't the same as the real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got severe food poising from one in Germany back in the early 90s. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The ones you get in Berlin?

They are extremely tasty.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

nein das ist nicht gut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Great stuff, they have it in Lidl at the moment but it just isn't the same as the real thing.

Dammit! Knew I forgot something in Lidl today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Tasty.

Not a patch on the best Wurst in that country though, the wonderful Thüringer Rostbratwürst. Has European protected designation status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FanadMan wrote: »
    Dammit! Knew I forgot something in Lidl today :(
    Had leberkäse, sauerkraut and spätzle courtesy of Lidl for dinner tonight :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fat Dom wrote: »
    There are a lot of things I like about Germany. The food is not one of them.

Some of it is absolutely delicious, much like any other country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The stuff from Lidl is vile. Don't judge real Currywurst by that abomination.

The best Currwurst you'll get in Berlin :)
    Or maybe in Bochum.

And you order your chips (if you so wish) as red-white, meaning with ketchup and mayo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tried it in Berlin, very tasty after a few beers.

Wouldn't bother trying it here. Some things are better in their home country.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Carry wrote: »
    And you order your chips (if you so wish) as red-white...

bahnschranke-190819.jpg

(Pommes Schranke)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

No not the worst curry you've ever had, but the Germany delicacy of sausage covered in curry powder and ketchup served with some pomme frittes covered in mayo.

You sound hungry OP

Im feeling a bit peckish myself

491055.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Curry Bouletten are delicious too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Füttern wie bei Müttern in Cologne Best Currywürst I've tasted. Ich habe win echt hankering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Sounds disgusting. Now German sausage with just curry sauce.. That would be absolutely delicious and better than most Irish food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Currywurst is bestwurst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not great, let's be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Alun wrote: »
    Had leberk, sauerkraut and sple courtesy of Lidl for dinner tonight :-)

i ****ing love German/Austrian week in Lidl!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah them were the days. Hitting the imbiss for some curry wurst after a feed of helles im biergarten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolutely love them. I love the way in the Germany you can just stop off at a stand have a quick currywurst and a beer on the side of a road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Absolutely love them. I love the way in the Germany you can just stop off at a stand have a quick currywurst and a beer on the side of a road.
    its a great way to live imo

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Ach! Das Currywurst ist eine... Nuisancewurst!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Greentopia wrote: »
    Tasty.

Not a patch on the best Wurst in that country though, the wonderful Thüringer Rostbratwürst. Has European protected designation status.

My 2nd favourite!

The best though is a käsekrainer, cheese sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This is why they should have been wiped off the map after WW1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have a read of Die Entdeckung der Currywurst to get the history... Hamburg or Berlin, always makes a good argument

It was also adapted to a movie which is OKish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Tried it over there once, didn’t like it. The middle eastern places in the underground that do chips in kebab meat are nicer and they have great thin sausage rolls with different fillings.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Love currywurst. Had my first one in Cologne back in the 1990s.

But then, I love bratwurst and German food generally. Unpretentious, hearty and filling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Tried it over there once, didn’t like it. The middle eastern places in the underground that do chips in kebab meat are nicer and they have great thin sausage rolls with different fillings.

Burek?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Greentopia wrote: »
    Tasty.

Indeed!
    I'll be in Berlin and Thuringia in a couple of weeks and I threatened my friends that I will gorge on Thüringer Rostbratwurst (discarding all my vegetarian principles), 'cause it's simply the best.

As with Berliner Currywurst don't judge the real thing by that imitation stuff they sell in Lidl's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Currywurst is the worst version of curry you can get. Too much tomato, not enough curry. A good sausage ruined...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Burek?

No they didn’t give me wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Carry wrote: »
    Indeed!
    I'll be in Berlin and Thuringia in a couple of weeks and I threatened my friends that I will gorge on Thüringer Rostbratwurst (discarding all my vegetarian principles), 'cause it's simply the best.

As with Berliner Currywurst don't judge the real thing by that imitation stuff they sell in Lidl's.

I was vegan before I lived in Germany. I blame Ze Lad tempting me with his delicious home cooking and meaty dishes.

Best people in Germany are in the East IMO-not just saying that because my guy is from there either... no ok I totally am. :D

They don't take themselves too seriously, honest, sincere, hard working and they have the best sense of humour. Sad that more people don't visit there as it's stunningly beautiful. The Thuringian forest is a jewel.

Love Berlin too, great city.
    Enjoy your visit and food. Oh and if you haven't tried them already and you like cakes buy some of the locally made cakes from the small bakeries in Thuringia...they're amazing and not too sweet! far nicer than anything in the West because they're not from the big chains and made with love and pride by Mom and Pop businesses. Plum, and poppy seed slices are so delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

German beer is the best in the world.
    Their food just accompanies it perfectly.
    I got served dinner in a frying pan once...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Can't stand currywurst. The sauce is weirdly sweet and there's way too much of it in proprtion to the sausage. Don't like their pork sausages either, just very bland. Most quick German takeaway fold is like that, though. Either very saucy, very sweet or tastes like nothing.

Some of their more traditional sausages are far better. I love the Krakauer and the Rindfleishwurst. And Flammkuchen is amazing. Better than pizza.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just hungry
    But you said it was a Germany delicacy. You may be thinking of goulash ?

Advertisement