Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford acid attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Billy86 wrote: »
    There's no veil in front of Dr Browns racism, same guy point blank refuses to gets taxiif the driver is black, because the driver is black. Fairly straight forward racism to be honest.

That's not "racism" you fool.

Have you ever heard the expression "Buy Irish" ?

Also any time I have gotten into a taxi driven by a Non-National it has always cost me more money because they don't know all back streets in Dublin as well as a native Dub.

gaelwave wrote: »
    Don't be naive.

The fact the Gardas have ruled out any racist motive indicates that the attackers were from an Immigrant background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'm pissing in the wind here but I've always thought acid attacks should be minimum 10 years - no extenuating circumstances.

Maybe I'm pissing in the wind too but I have always thought that crimes, in general, should be punished for at least as long as the victim has to suffer the effects. Not necessarily jail for the full term, but community service or road building/chain gangs etc. until the victim's wounds etc. have healed.

The current system never worked particular well but now it is so out of whack with common sense that I can see people losing all respect for The Law, as it is increasingly out of step with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The fact the Gardas have ruled out any racist motive indicates that the attackers were from an Immigrant background.

More likely than not i'd have thought.

Acid attacks have, to the best of my knowledge, never been the modus oporandi of our indigenous scumbags.

Though that might have changed too.

No matter where they are from or their methods scum will be scum unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

There's no veil in front of Dr Browns racism, same guy point blank refuses to gets taxiif the driver is black, because the driver is black. Fairly straight forward racism to be honest.

Also any time I have gotten into a taxi driven by a Non-National it has always cost me more money because they don't know all back streets in Dublin as well as a native Dub.

It's over mate. We all know what you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

You can't draw that conclusion.

May not be a racial motive, but could be a targeted attack from any racial group.

My gut feeling is they did something to provoke this, or it was some gang thing where someone had to be indoctrinated into a more serious gang by doing something serious to get in.

rgodard80a wrote: »

May not be a racial motive, but could be a targeted attack from any racial group.

My gut feeling is they did something to provoke this, or it was some gang thing where someone had to be indoctrinated into a more serious gang by doing something serious to get in.

I have never heard of any indigenous scumbags carrying out this sort of crime.

While I don't know for sure who did it I would be 90% certain that the suspects are from an Immigrant background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

I have never heard of any indigenous scumbags carrying out this sort of crime.

While I don't know for sure who did it I would be 90% certain that the suspects are from an Immigrant background.

Not contradicting you.

You just saying you can't infer anything from a Garda statement saying it's "not a racial motive".
    They could know that it's Irish or Africa gangs targeting them for personal reasons.

Not contradicting you.

You just saying you can't infer anything from a Garda statement saying it's "not a racial motive".
    They could know that it's Irish or Africa gangs targeting them for personal reasons.

In the PC climate we live in if a white person attacks a black person its almost always seen as "racist" until proved otherwise.

The fact that Gardas were able to rule out any racist motive tells me that the suspects are not indigenous Irish Scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Supposedly it was a case of mistaken identity, the lads who got attacked are not meant to be troublemakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

MAndatory minimum sentences for violent crime. We need them now more than ever.

Everyone always jumps in and shouts "mass incarceration has been a disaster in the US", but that's because of drug dealing and drug possession both leading to violent crime and leading to people being jailed. Legalise drugs, and then introduce mandatory minimums. Scum like this should be locked up until they're too old and frail to be a threat to anybody.

Everyone always jumps in and shouts "mass incarceration has been a disaster in the US", but that's because of drug dealing and drug possession both leading to violent crime and leading to people being jailed. Legalise drugs, and then introduce mandatory minimums. Scum like this should be locked up until they're too old and frail to be a threat to anybody.

There should also be deportations for any Immigrants involved in this sort of crime.

We need to put a stop to this now before Ireland starts to end up like London where these sort of attacks are common place.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Everyone always jumps in and shouts "mass incarceration has been a disaster in the US"

I hear this a lot as well, but how exactly has it been a disaster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

In the PC climate we live in if a white person attacks a black person its almost always seen as "racist" until proved otherwise.

The fact that Gardas were able to rule out any racist motive tells me that the suspects are not indigenous Irish Scumbags.

So basically you're getting excited cause you have an opportunity to go on one of your racist rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Judging someone on literally nothing butt their race, is racism. Whether it is a Nigerian migrant, or any of the Irish born citizens who are black (and Irish) judging someone solely on the colour of their skin is, by definition, racist.

1. a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

You're a self confessed racist and so your opinions on race are useless. It is what it is, and you are what you are. Maybe make a new account and pretend to be someone else, I'm sure you've never tried that before.

Judging someone on literally nothing butt their race, is racism. Whether it is a Nigerian migrant, or any of the Irish born citizens who are black (and Irish) judging someone solely on the colour of their skin is, by definition, racist.

1. a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another

You're a self confessed racist and so your opinions on race are useless. It is what it is, and you are what you are. Maybe make a new account and pretend to be someone else, I'm sure you've never tried that before.

I don't "judge" anyone I just pick an Irish taxi driver whenever I can.

Your basically saying that "Buying Irish" is racist.

batgoat wrote: »
    So basically you're getting excited cause you have an opportunity to go on one of your racist rants.

How could anyone be "excited" about this sort of vile crime.

It's shocking in the extreme.

Can you show me where I said I was a "racist" ? because you won't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Your basically saying that "Buying Irish" is racist.

We know entirely where you stand, it's well established.

• Advertisement

Your basically saying that "Buying Irish" is racist.[/quote]
    You're not "buying Irish" though, you're "buying white". You would turn down a taxi from an Irish driver who is black and instead would go with a foreign driver who is white, because you are judging them on their skin colour as you have already said.

That's the definition of racism, because so at least have the courage to defend your racism for what it is, because while the two often go hand in hand, you don't have to be a racist and a coward.

Can you show me where I said I was a "racist" ? because you won't find it.

The posts where you said you would avoid getting in the driver was black. The same posts you are currently defending on this very thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No, it just means they've ruled out a racist motive.

Dr Brown wrote:

So you presume that the lad driving isn't Irish by citizenship or birth because he's "black"......but thats not racism....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Won't ever happen here. No political party will ever take this on. Sentencing and judiciary are an absolute shambles in this kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I only came into this thread to see how long it took for the residents racists to come out. Didn't take long. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

You're not "buying Irish" though, you're "buying white". You would turn down a taxi from an Irish driver who is black and instead would go with a foreign driver who is white, because you are judging them on their skin colour as you have already said.

That's the definition of racism, because so at least have the courage to defend your racism for what it is, because while the two often go hand in hand, you don't have to be a racist and a coward.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

tbh, the thread will become a yet another soapbox for the poster currently known as "Dr Brown" (not a "racist") to doghwhistle the other 100 regular new accounts

Best to avoid derailment by ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    tbh, the thread will become a yet another soapbox for the poster currently known as "Dr Brown" (not a "racist") to doghwhistle the other 100 regular new accounts

Best to avoid derailment by ignoring it.

Wish I could thank this a hundred times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Nothing to do with racism. Most likely to do with some petty teenager drug **** like some scumbag taking extreme measures for someone owing money like 50 euro for a bag of weed or something fairly petty.

I live in waterford and would be nearish to the age group of the fellas who got attacked, from what i have heard so far all the attackers are irish. Just little fellas from posh estates thinking they're tough and taking it way too far

An awful, stupid mistake to make at such a young age. Hope they rot in jail. Scumbags

And hello, DR brown.. Mister 'I'm not racist ill just never get in a taxi with a black man again because I had an incident with a black man before'

You make me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

As someone who is mixed race and Irish, I'd hate to think someone would refuse to jump in my hypothetical cab on the basis that I don't look white, therefore I am an inherently inferior taxi driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭gaelwave

circadian wrote: »
    As someone who is mixed race and Irish, I'd hate to think someone would refuse to jump in my hypothetical cab on the basis that I don't look white, therefore I am an inherently inferior taxi driver.

There are plenty of people that wouldn't jump in your hypothetical cab because of the colour of your skin, it's more common than people here think unfortunately. Myself personally I'd rather an Irish driver but I wouldn't turn down a taxi from any person.

Maybe my preference makes me racist too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There are plenty of people that wouldn't jump in your hypothetical cab because of the colour of your skin, it's more common than people here think unfortunately. Myself personally I'd rather an Irish driver but I wouldn't turn down a taxi from any person.

It does because it's based on someone's skin colour.

And Frankly stupid

I can't count on two hands the number of home crown smelly mouthy taxis I've been in. Doesn't stop me getting a cab that looks Irish

I get the first taxi that appears because I'm trying to get somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭jopax

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I heard on the news that it was not a racist attack.
    How do we know for sure until the culprit comes and tells the truth, I wouldn't think they are going to be the honest type to explain themselves. On the plus side I heard that his accomplice got injured too, so no harm he gets to feel some pain, might make him want to change his ways.

I doubt it's as common as you believe. Besides, just because others feel the same doesn't condone this behaviour.

Yes, yes it does make you racist if you refuse a service from someone based purely on their race.

I doubt it's as common as you believe. Besides, just because others feel the same doesn't condone this behaviour.

Yes, yes it does make you racist if you refuse a service from someone based purely on their race.

I don't base it on race, the fact is there are too many African drivers driving around the place who should not even be in the country. I don't want to be in a car with these people. It's not easy to identify one black person from another one, I realise that statement may not sit well with a lot of people but it's the truth,black people do look very alike and they have been known in the past to take advantage of that fact by sharing plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

I don't base it on race, the fact is there are too many African drivers driving around the place who should not even be in the country. I don't want to be in a car with these people. It's not easy to identify one black person from another one, I realise that statement may not sit well with a lot of people but it's the truth,black people do look very alike and they have been known in the past to take advantage of that fact by sharing plates.

They only look alike if you ignore their facial features and focus solely on their skin colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

That statement, in and of itself, is racist.
    That's no different to "all Asians look the same".

Everyone has facial features, skin colour notwithstanding.

As the lad above said, you are looking at the skin colour first and not the actual face of the person.

FFS if you're racist at least come out and fúcking admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

That statement, in and of itself, is racist.
    That's no different to "all Asians look the same".

Everyone has facial features, skin colour notwithstanding.

As the lad above said, you are looking at the skin colour first and not the actual face of the person.

FFS if you're racist at least come out and fúcking admit it.

You do relize every race says the same thing about other races all looking the same. Ive heard it multiple times and people laugh and don't start whinging like you do.

MrFresh wrote: »
    They only look alike if you ignore their facial features and focus solely on their skin colour.

Well there is such a thing as the "other race effect" a cognitive phenomenon that makes it harder for people of one race to readily recognise or identify individuals of another race. There is science behind it and it has nothing to do with being racist or a bigot.

I'd still say though that white people are probably the most easily distinguishable from one another because of the diverse hair and eye colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bit much to accuse a genuine poster of racism folks

No it doesnt, some people like talking to a national as it makes for easy conversation.

• Advertisement

http://alllooksame.com

I'm sure you'd have a field day on there.

http://alllooksame.com

I'm sure you'd have a field day on there.

I got 7 out of 18 on the test. Apparently I'm ok.

declan2693 wrote: »
    No it doesnt, some people like talking to a national as it makes for easy conversation.

Interesting,is it ok to choose an Irish taxi driver for social reasons or is it still racist?

Plenty of immigrants can hold perfectly good conversation.

Try again.

Try again.

They can, but most of them choose not to. In my experience black taxi men will not strike up a conversation. Your experience could be different. I should be able to choose based on my experience without being branded racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Interesting,is it ok to choose an Irish taxi driver for social reasons or is it still racist?

The issue isn't so much choosing an Irish taxi driver as it is assuming a taxi driver isn't Irish because of his skin colour.

Try again.

How can you know in advance?

Try again

How can you know in advance?

Try again

How can you know if anyone can hold a decent conversation in advance?

The mental gymnastics on here in trying to justify what is clearly racist behaviour (assuming someone isn't Irish because of their skin, therefore not wanting a service from them). Astounding.

MrFresh wrote: »
    The issue isn't so much choosing an Irish taxi driver as it is assuming a taxi driver isn't Irish because of his skin colour.

Remember though you're talking to people who grew up in the whitest of white countries, a lot of people and myself included when we see black people we think They are foreign or African, I don't think that's racist, we are only seeing large numbers of black people here in the last 20 years. It's going to take generations to change that.

Just to add, this doesn't just apply to black people. I got a shock just yesterday I got an uber eats and it was an Asian looking driver, what I would call Chinese looking he had a proper dub accent. It takes time for people to get used to this.

I'm not living beside or near any black or Asian people so it hasn't been normalised for me just yet anyway..

• Advertisement

They can, but most of them choose not to. In my experience black taxi men will not strike up a conversation. Your experience could be different. I should be able to choose based on my experience without being branded racist.

Sounds perfect. No idea why anyone would want to talk to their taxi driver.

Advertisement