Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europcar car hire 10%

• 26-06-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

There is a ten percent discount when booking Europcar car rental directly from their website if you use a mobile browser, ie via a phone,tablet etc.
    Nothing amazing but better in your pocket than their's.
    There doesn't seem to be a time limit on it, currently at least

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

£1 hire is worth bearing in mind for Europcar rentals in the UK

https://www.headforpoints.com/2017/12/31/get-one-way-europcar-uk-rental-just-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Wouldn't use them even if it was a 100% discount. We've hired from various companies over the years and never had any major issues.
    However this year we went with goldcar for the first time (same as europcar and rhodium) and we got caught out with the "cleaning charge" scam after returning home. Unfortunately I only took photos and videos of the exterior after returning the car and had no proof. This seems to be a widespread scam with them if you google it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/12/goldcar-car-hire-bill-cleaning

On top of that I only noticed after collecting the car that they overcharged when picking it up. I'm partly at fault because I should've caught it when signing for the car. Booking online I was advised an ~€8 fee would be payable locally. However they actually charged ~€22 which was due to an additional "new car" surcharge. (Car had approx 6000km on it. So not new)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Wouldn't use them even if it was a 100% discount. We've hired from various companies over the years and never had any major issues.
    However this year we went with goldcar for the first time (same as europcar and rhodium) and we got caught out with the "cleaning charge" scam after returning home. Unfortunately I only took photos and videos of the exterior after returning the car and had no proof. This seems to be a widespread scam with them if you google it.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/12/goldcar-car-hire-bill-cleaning

On top of that I only noticed after collecting the car that they overcharged when picking it up. I'm partly at fault because I should've caught it when signing for the car. Booking online I was advised an ~€8 fee would be payable locally. However they actually charged ~€22 which was due to an additional "new car" surcharge. (Car had approx 6000km on it. So not new)
    I have used Europcar on many occasions without an ounce of trouble and have never seen them linked with Goldcar or Rhodium, neither of which I would ever use,
    They are linked with Keddy but I have used them without issue as well.
    They usually rate very highly with user reviews as well but anyone can have a bad experience with any car hire company it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Rental car market has gone through a huge wave of consolidation over the past 3-4yrs so you think there are 12-15 different companies out there but in reality Hertz owns Dollar/Thrifty/Firefly; Europcar own Keddy/Rodhium/Goldcar; Avis owns Budget/Payless
    You cant really associate Hertz with Firefly or Europcar with Goldcar as they run them as completely different companies rather than sub-brands (different reservation systems, policies and definitively "customer-service culture). It's an efficient way for the premium brands to pass on older cars (30-50k kms) on to their discount brands.
    Agree with the comment above, I rent a lot from Europcar here in Dublin but also in Spain and Italy and they on par with Hertz and Avis in terms of quality of the cars and customer service.
    Goldcar usually offers cheaper prices but they you're subject to shady fuel policies, not-so-transparent extra fees and generally lower levels of customer service.
    That said, I'm renting with Firefly for the first time this August as the price difference was huge compared to premium brands (€885 vs €1300+). I'll be very mindful about all the known scam tactics but it is a bit of a risk...

Advertisement