Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower - Aldi €229 down to €99

Options
  • 14-06-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Picked one up this morning reduced from €229 to €99. 46cm blade, Briggs and Straton Petrol Engine, Self Propelled, 3 Year Warranty. Thought it was a good price at €229 and seems a steal for €99

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

thomasm wrote: »
    Picked one up this morning reduced from €229 to €99. 46cm blade, Briggs and Straton Petrol Engine, Self Propelled, 3 Year Warranty. Thought it was a good price at €229 and seems a steal for €99

Are they this price all over?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Thebeast078

What branch of Aldi did you pick this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Mikenesson wrote: »
    Are they this price all over?

Not sure, was in Waterford this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

They were all gone in Athlone just now, although the red price card was up scoring them down to €99, so it must be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

The Briggs and Straton brand was purchased by a Chinese company. It's not the same as was there 15-20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bromley52 wrote: »
    The Briggs and Straton brand was purchased by a Chinese company. It's not the same as was there 15-20 years ago.

I don't think B&S actually sold their branding, did they? They have manufacturing plants all over the world, but the majority are in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Rainislove

Where can you drop the grass after cutting? I am messed up with that

Rainislove wrote: »

Let.it fall on the lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Rainislove wrote:

Sure you just take it back to any Aldi, together with your receipt.

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Any evidence that Briggs and Stratton were purchased by a Chinese company ?
    As far as I know they are still American but manufacture some engines in China. Regardless the engine will probably out-live the mower itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've noticed this with some of their specials. Really drop the price if they're still in stock a few weeks later. The pizza oven was half price in Fonthill a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the real problem with a lot of these in-store mowers sold by Woodies/B&Q/Aldi/Lidl is that while they have good engines, a lot of them have poor bodies and fixtures that don't last and it can be extremely difficult to get spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Lack of mechanical knowledge and aptitude, experience, maintenance, common sense etc in my opinion.

Wheety wrote: »
    I've noticed this with some of their specials. Really drop the price if they're still in stock a few weeks later. The pizza oven was half price in Fonthill a while ago.

Ya they prob just clear the shelves for the next lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

None in newlands cross Aldi. Will take a look in Tallaght and Kylemore tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Be careful with this one, i purchesed one 4 weeks agoo. Grass was not even cut 2 times the steel frame had bent and probably would snap after few uses. Also the blade part is joined with plastic and is not the safest . anyway i returned it as its very poor quality. And did make complaint its not safe. And blade is too close to the plastic cover. However i did purchase it at regular price and to me maybe 99 e would have been enought to cut such big area maybe 2 times :)

mea_k wrote: »
    Be careful with this one, i purchesed one 4 weeks agoo. Grass was not even cut 2 times the steel frame had bent and probably would snap after few uses. Also the blade part is joined with plastic and is not the safest . anyway i returned it as its very poor quality. And did make complaint its not safe. And blade is too close to the plastic cover. However i did purchase it at regular price and to me maybe 99 e would have been enought to cut such big area maybe 2 times :)

Could you explain more clearly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You must tell the New York stock exchange aa they still have them listed as an American company :)https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BGG/

https://www.basco.com/content/basco/na/en_us/who-we-are.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I remember reading years ago that they opened a plant in China (around 2004?) and that they then moved a tiny amount of production to that plant to test it. But never heard that they were acquired by a Chinese company.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've used one of these. The power drive is pretty slow so you'd tend not to use it.
    The oil cap tends to work itself loose and falls off regularly. Not a massive amount of power in long grass.
    A decent mower though,an absolute steal for 99quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭jamesd

Deedsie wrote: »
    Just picked one up in Aldi - Nenagh. Was sick of borrowing the oul lads every second weekend. Hopefully it will do the job. Small enough back garden lawn. And I would be fairly good to keep on top of it.

Was there more left yesterday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mac_daddy

None left in Glenageary

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

None left in Portarlington, does anyone have a product code to check stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Big "Thank You" Thomas, owned one of these since last year and it has never let me down, now have a spare brand new one for 99 euro, unreal value!

One left in Kenmare an hour ago.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kingdomfan

There were a couple left in aldi letterkenny, but reduced to 199 not 99 😠

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Any in Kylemore or Ballyfermot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

none in ballyfermot palmerstown or long mile rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

None in Castlebar, not even a sign that they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Picked one of these up recently but it starts and cuts out on me. I've pulled it apart and can't find any obvious problems. Anyone else have any trouble with one of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Picked one of these up recently but it starts and cuts out on me. I've pulled it apart and can't find any obvious problems. Anyone else have any trouble with one of these?

If it's not the carburettor it's still the carburettor......have you checked it ? Is petrol ok as in fresh. Have you checked spark plug and connection onto it !

Advertisement