Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon gas testing kit €40 delivered

Options
  • 14-11-2017 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

After watch a programme on RTE last night on Radon gas, I purchased a domestic radon gas testing kit from a company in Dingle called alphaRadon for €40 delivered.
    Most other companies are €50.

Seems a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Thanks OP, just bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

bromley52 wrote: »
    After watch a programme on RTE last night on Radon gas, I purchased a domestic radon gas testing kit from a company in Dingle called alphaRadon for €40 delivered.
    Most other companies are €50.

Seems a reasonable price to pay for peace of mind.

There is an online tool which offers an indication: http://www.epa.ie/radiation/radonmap/

The problem though is, what do you do when you know the results? I imagine retrofitting a house with a radon barrier would be incredibly expensive and disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

MaceFace wrote: »
    There is an online tool which offers an indication: http://www.epa.ie/radiation/radonmap/

The problem though is, what do you do when you know the results? I imagine retrofitting a house with a radon barrier would be incredibly expensive and disruptive.

Afaik improved ventilation is the main 'treatment'.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

there are lots of remedial measures which depend on the results, afaik, installing a radon barrier isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Ventilation usually. It's a gas so just needs to be removed and kept that way. It's certainly better to know than not to do it just because the remediation could be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Ventilation usually. It's a gas so just needs to be removed and kept that way. It's certainly better to know than not to do it just because the remediation could be expensive.

I looked at this when i was purchasing a house last year.
    New houses being built have a radon sump under the house .
    Basically a 20 gallon ish drum and a pipe that is attached to it, ran out to the footpath and capped .
    If radon levels are accceptable nothing is done .
    If they are high you attack a fan to suck the air out from under the house . This fan will run continously.
    A few hundred quid will install the fan.

If radon levels are high and there is no radon sump in the house one can be retrofitted with fan for approx 900-1100

• Registered Users Posts: 3 baldyboo

Hi,did it take long for the results?

Around 2 weeks. Presumably depends on which company you use.

Thank you.i bought from alpharadon.so i should expect a result shortly.thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

baldyboo wrote: »
    Thank you.i bought from alpharadon.so i should expect a result shortly.thanks again.

Did you get your results in the end?

I'm waiting a month and a half for 2 kits I sent in, have called and messaged but no response from them at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

screen-shot-2018-01-18-at-11-12-39-am.png?w=1200

I'm waiting a month and a half for 2 kits I sent in, have called and messaged but no response from them at all

Yes,got the results.took a while but they eventually arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

baldyboo wrote: »
    Yes,got the results.took a while but they eventually arrived.

And........

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Is it possible to have this test done on a house you are buying?

Is it possible to have this test done on a house you are buying?

This one wouldn't work as sensors need to be in place for 3 months to take a reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Ah thanks. That's what I suspected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I had the same problem with them. Eventually got through to the guy, and he rummaged through a few test kits and said the results were fine. Sent on official results a week later.

Bit of a cowboy outfit in my experience.

I had the same problem with them. Eventually got through to the guy, and he rummaged through a few test kits and said the results were fine. Sent on official results a week later.

Thanks thought there'd be others with similar experience alright.

Pretty disgraceful they don't get back to emails/voicemails, it's been a month since I first emailed.

If I don't hear anything back in the next week I'll be getting onto the EPA as they're advertising them on their site.

Pretty disgraceful they don't get back to emails/voicemails, it's been a month since I first emailed.

If I don't hear anything back in the next week I'll be getting onto the EPA as they're advertising them on their site.

Yeah. That was one of the reasons why I went with him. A month is a bit of a joke to wait, especially if the readings are high, and you don't know.

Seems to have been something up with them recently. I had some results within a week and then was waiting on a second set for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Ah thanks. That's what I suspected

If you can get someone with a RAD7 or a Canary detector you can do it faster (<4 weeks) to get a gross reality check.

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0952-4746/36/1/104/meta

My first test results finally arrived today 6 weeks after they received it.

On the letter it mentions they do 7 day radon tesring though I don't know what that involves (and if there's a wait for results) so might be more feasible for a house purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Can anyone recommend Apharadon ? Or is there a better crowd to go with.
    I don't mind an extra tenner to get decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

vidapura wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend Apharadon ? Or is there a better crowd to go with.
    I don't mind an extra tenner to get decent service.

Used them recently. No problem with them. Sent it back after 3 months, got result in 2 weeks after that

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Used them recently. No problem with them. Sent it back after 3 months, got result in 2 weeks after that

Oh right!
    Great stuff so!
    Thanks!
    PJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Yeah. That was one of the reasons why I went with him. A month is a bit of a joke to wait, especially if the readings are high, and you don't know.
    LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Seems to have been something up with them recently. I had some results within a week and then was waiting on a second set for 6 weeks.
    My first test results finally arrived today 6 weeks after they received it.

On the letter it mentions they do 7 day radon tesring though I don't know what that involves (and if there's a wait for results) so might be more feasible for a house purchase.

If you're looking for peace of mind that a radioactive gas isn't continuously seeping into your house and set to kill your family slowly via 17 varied forms of cancer then you would surely only use a careful, conscientious, efficient and responsive company.

PS - Not aimed at you OP - Thanks for posting this helpfully and in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So what do the results of these look like?
    What do they tell you. Is there a scale?

Mango Joe wrote: »
    If you're looking for peace of mind that a radioactive gas isn't continuously seeping into your house and set to kill your family slowly via 17 varied forms of cancer then you would surely only use a careful, conscientious, efficient and responsive company.

PS - Not aimed at you OP - Thanks for posting this helpfully and in good faith.

At the risk of dragging on a 3 year old thread, the company in question was approved by the EPA and is also approved by RPII. A stupid comment like yours that then goes on to say the post on this "non careful, non conscientious non efficient and non responsive company" is helpful, isn't worth dragging this on for 3 more years.

@vidapura, my posted experience is 3 years ago. They may have changed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

At the risk of dragging on a 3 year old thread, the company in question was approved by the EPA and is also approved by RPII. A stupid comment like yours that then goes on to say the post on this "non careful, non conscientious non efficient and non responsive company" is helpful, isn't worth dragging this on for 3 more years.

@vidapura, my posted experience is 3 years ago. They may have changed by now.

Maybe re-read what I actually said - You obviously have comprehension issues - The irony and audacity of you going on then to be needlessly insulting and call my post stupid is impressive !!!!

I was simply acknowledging that the OP was just being helpful in the first place.

Also it means nothing to me if these people were approved by the RPII, EPA, PVC, PWC or Bobbo the Clown - If they can't manage the basics of customer service and answering simple queries properly they aren't worth anyone's time or attention.

• Advertisement

I did re-read what you said.

You're entire contribution in this 3 YEARS OLD BARGAIN ALERTS thread was to quote myself, and two others just to make snide remarks about our decision to choose the company this bargain alert was about. And as if to double down you even said you weren't aiming at the OP, meaning you were aiming squarely at us.

You dragged the thread totally unnecessarily off topic, and then tried to stitch it back up with thanking OP for a bargain that is 3 years old.

Give it a rest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement