Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hunting - Bray Harriers

Options
  • 01-11-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Not quite sure if this has been done

Didn't realize that this is a "sport" that still exists here, only for I was about Wicklow today and saw the "gentlemen" on horse back with dogs.

"Out for the hunt old chap ?"

The reason I'm surprised by this is because it is a horrible sport that I don't agree with at all

It is simply barbaric to use animals to kill other innocent animals. I think the UK have actually banned this, and rightly so, it is 2017 , nearly 2018 afterall !

Then I did some reading and found this

http://www.thejournal.ie/dog-attacked-hunt-1200991-Dec2013/

So I am of the mind they need to be stopped , hunting fox's etc , which funny enough , fox's can be good clever creatures aswell as them being innocent !

What I really didn't agree with was that today seemed to be aimed at children to join in, are we now teaching kids that killing innocent animals is right ?

I don't think so, I think it's horrible

How bout you guys ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Tally Ho.Top tea

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Isn't this all just scent hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oh shucks - us guys!

No absolutely you are the first person ever to make an ill informed class based attack on people you don't even know. Loosley disguised "I want everyone to eat Soya" thread perhaps?

You do know that Bray Harriers are a drag pack?

You do know that in the drag hung there is no fox or live quarry, but riders drag a scent around a particular route for the dogs to follow.

I see that you presume that when someone gets up on a horse that they become a toff!

So are all jockeys toffs too or just the ones you ascribe social class to in order to deride them and make fun of them?

I did some reading as well- and found this!
    [Url]
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/elderly-woman-needs-twenty-stitches-after-vicious-fox-attack-34370130.html[/url]

I don't care what you agree with or otherwise - your facts are complete dung!

Animals have been killing other animals since the first multi celluar organism evolved in the primordial ooze!

I think every child should know that yes we kill animals on a regular basis and they are very tasty!

Foxes are mean predators that will kill just about anything - domestic pets and otherwise given the opportunity!

You don't want kids to go out with their parents and ride their ponies? You are miserable...

I don't think it's horrible but your post makes me want to aarrghhhhhhh ....

Ps for your information - the word 'sport' has a number of definitions the relevant one here which includes 'a physical activity which takes place outside.

And they are not called 'dog's - thems hounds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I find it hard to condemn this given that I eat meat. I'd rather be a fox living in the wild, even if there was a chance I may be torn apart by viscous dogs, rather than an animal raised to be put on a conveyor belt and slaughtered. Most of us are hypocrites when it comes to animals, pigs are as intelligent as dogs yet ham is a national obsession.

Tally Ho.Top tea

Wot have you against tea then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

gozunda wrote: »
    Oh shucks - us guys!

No absolutely you are the first person ever to make an ill informed class based attack on people you don't even know. Loosley disguised "I want everyone to eat Soya" thread perhaps?

You do know that in the drag hung there is no fox or live quarry, but riders drag a scent around a particular route for the dogs to follow.

I see that you presume that when someone gets up on a horse that they become a toff!

So are all jockeys toffs too or just the ones you ascribe social class to in order to deride them and make fun of them?

I did some reading as well- and found this!
    [Url]
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/elderly-woman-needs-twenty-stitches-after-vicious-fox-attack-34370130.html[/url]

I don't care what you agree with or otherwise - your facts are complete dung!

Animals have been killing other animals since the first multi celluar organism evolved in the primordial ooze!

I think every child should know that yes we kill animals on a regular basis and they are very tasty!

Foxes are mean predators that will kill just about anything - domestic pets and otherwise given the opportunity!

I don't think it's horrible but your post makes me want to aarrghhhhhhh ....

Ps for your information - the word 'sport' has a number of definitions the relevant one here which includes 'a physical activity which takes place outside.

And they are not called 'dog's - thems hounds!

I highly doubt I'm the first person to make an opinion on this topic , and very much doubt I'm the first person to disagree with it.

So there's no fox etc , but there is an innocent house hold pets that's gets mauled to death by the dogs that you bring, sure that makes it ok so ! Silly me !

I never said anything about the type of people in this so that's your assumption, nobody else's , please don't stir the pot thanks.

Horse racing I don't always agree with either when you hear of the drugs etc that are sometimes illegally used or when the horse is harmed but I can't see that stopping , or greyhound racing for that matter but this topic is not about either of them , thanks.

Animals have been killing other animals naturally for years , not humans training their animals to hunt for fun. There's a difference.

That's a bad generalisation of fox's being aggressive etc considering I live in rural areas myself and often come across them , never once had I an issue with them or have any reason to be scared or one attack me. One i used to feed regularly and was very tame when I lived in cork. I was quite surprised that it got to the point I could pet him similar to a dog, but you know better I guess :rolleyes:

Nearly everything is a sport these days so that word means zero to me.

Hounds ?

Mr. Burns: "release the hounds"

That's all that comment makes me thinks and it's quite fitting actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

But what does the fox say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

But what does the fox say?

If you ain't got no money take your broke ass home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

If you ain't got no money take your broke ass home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

you mean like Panti Bliss?

• Advertisement

Two years- suspended!!!!! - for these three barbarians from Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary, just this summer 2017 gone. If you're hard enough, look at this video:

‘Operation Bambi’ reveals hunters using dogs to kill deer
    Operation Bambi, a Garda investigation of illegal poaching, found social-media video and photographs of deer that had been hunted with dogs, a court has heard.
    Three men pleaded guilty at Clonmel Circuit Court on Tuesday to illegally hunting and killing wild deer, and to causing them unnecessary suffering, between September 2014 and January 2015.
    All three men – Keith O’Dwyer (27), of Glenview, Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary; Dean Murphy (25) of Ballyrichard Court, Carrick-on-Suir; and Jamie Regan (28) of Comeragh View, Carrick-on-Suir – received two-year suspended sentences
    The Garda was alerted to the images by a member of the Irish Wild Deer Association, who said he had come across “disturbing footage on Facebook”, Sgt Barry Boland told the court.
    Bitten in the neck
    Gardaí saw one clip on Facebook, filmed in a field near Clonmel, of a red stag being bitten in the neck by three dogs before escaping across the River Suir. An investigation included “trawling through social media”, Sgt Boland said; they came across a number of other stills that showed either deer being hunted with dogs or people posing in front of deer lying dead. All were taken at night.
    Deer are a protected species in Ireland; they cannot be hunted with dogs, and can be hunted with a rifle only by licence.
    The Garda said eight people were involved in the hunting, which used dogs that were a greyhound-bulldog cross to take down deer. “These dogs are specially bred. They are big and aggressive,” the sergeant told the court. The video and images found on the internet showed 12 deer.
    Neither O’Dwyer nor Murphy realised that what they were doing was illegal, and Regan didn’t appreciate the cruelty involved “until it was shown to him”, the court was told. They regarded deer hunting as a sport.
    Judge Thomas Teehan said the crimes involved “inherent cruelty to animals through the pursuit of those animals by quite vicious dogs, bred for the purposes of hunting deer”.
    A charge against Regan of possession for sale or supply of cocaine worth €5,675 was adjourned for a year to allow him to collect €2,000 for a charity that helps victims of drug crime. All three were told to pay €1,000 each to animal-welfare organisations within nine months.

The fact that not only do these people get away with such savagery, savagery which makes them a lot of money, but that killing deer is still legal in the laws of this state is truly disgusting. Our laws in 2017 give these sort of people a "licence" to kill these beautiful animals.

I highly doubt I'm the first person to make an opinion on this topic , and very much doubt I'm the first person to disagree with it.

THen why ask that stupid question? 'I dont know if this has been done before blah blah bs
    So there's no fox etc , but there is an innocent house hold pets that's gets mauled to death by the dogs that you bring, sure that makes it ok so ! Silly me !

At least admit you got your little tirade wrong. And one pet (singular) died. That should not have happened. It was clear that it was an accident for which BHs said publicaly they were sorry for.

Perhaps we should stop all vehicles on the roads just in case flopzie the rabbit gets flattened by a forty footer as well?
    I never said anything about the type of people in this so that's your assumption, nobody else's , please don't stir the pot thanks.

Your reference as to "gentlemen" and "Out for the hunt old chap" etc made your classist opinions evident and are typical of the anti hunting mentality that has been imported here. Who the track talks like that in Bray?
    Horse racing I don't always agree with either when you hear of the drugs etc that are sometimes illegally used or when the horse is harmed but I can't see that stopping , or greyhound racing for that matter but this topic is not about either of them , thanks.

Is there ANYTHING you do like?
    Animals have been killing other animals naturally for years , not humans training their animals to hunt for fun. There's a difference.

Animals hunt other animals. Get over it. Sport does NOT mean "fun" savvy? The relevant definition is an physical activity which takes place outside. Anyway not too sure that hounds would even know when something was funny or otherwise. Their dogs after all ...
    That's a bad generalisation of fox's being aggressive etc considering I live in rural areas myself and often come across them , never once had I an issue with them or have any reason to be scared or one attack me. One i used to feed regularly and was very tame when I lived in cork. I was quite surprised that it got to the point I could pet him similar to a dog, but you know better I guess :

Petting wild foxes? Seriously.

Did you read the newspaper article at all about the fox attack? No? I have lost lots of fowl to fox attacks - one that I remember well ate through the siding of a shed and killed over a hundred young poults. A scene of carnage I won't inflict on your sensitive little ears. And no not all foxes come from Disney or Farthing wood. Here is a link to a relevant photo. Not for the squimish ...

http://www.freewebs.com/nwtf/03%20Live%20stock%20&%20Pets%20Cat.jpg
    Nearly everything is a sport these days so that word means zero to me.
    Hounds ?
    Mr. Burns: "release the hounds"
    That's all that comment makes me thinks and it's quite fitting actually.

Yes HOUNDS!
    Do I have to repeat again there was NO FOX "actually"!

you mean like Panti Bliss?

Exactly like that:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Ffs...drag-hunting.

Two years- suspended!!!!! - for these three barbarians from Carrick-on-Suir, Co. Tipperary, just this summer 2017 gone. If you're hard enough, look at this video:

The fact that not only do these people get away with such savagery, savagery which makes them a lot of money, but that killing deer is still legal in the laws of this state is truly disgusting. Our laws in 2017 give these sort of people a "licence" to kill these beautiful animals.

What's that got to do with Bray Barriers Drag pack???

You might as well bring McDonald's into it for no reason

Illegal hunting which IS agains the law without license does unfortunately happen.

That said deer are legally culled because if you dont they end up dead of starvation especially in the mountains in Winter .

Venison is very tasty too. Mmmm vension burger .. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

THen why ask that stupid question? 'I dont know if this has been done before blah blah bs

I think you are more than just a random poster trying to stir up thw sh1te tbh

At least admit you got your little tirade wrong. And one pet (singular) died. That should not have happened. It was clear that it was an accident for which BHs said publicaly they were sorry for.

Your reference as to "gentlenen" "Out for the hunt old chap" etc made your classist opinions evident and are typical of the anti hunting mentality that has been imported here. Who the track talks like that in Bray?

Is there ANYTHING you do like?

Animals hunt other animals. Get over it. Sport does NOT mean "fun" savvy? The relevant definition is an physical activity which takes place outside

Did you read the newspaper article at all about the fox attack? No? I have lost lots of fowl to fox attacks - one that I remember well ate through the siding of a shed and killed over a hundred young poults. A scene of carnage I won't inflict on your sensitive little ears. And no not all foxes come from Disney or Farthing wood. Here is a link to a relevant photo. Not for the squimish ...

[Url]
    http://www.freewebs.com/nwtf/03 Live stock & Pets Cat.jpg[/url]

Yes HOUNDS!
    Do I have to repeat again there was NO FOX!

I'm not trying to stir up anything here but simply pose a question / start a discussion on a discussion forum , I didn't even know these things still existed in the 21st century mind you.

Shouldn't of happened but did, by several hounds , not a normal situation. They didn't exactly go public , only admitted that it happened but no one took responsibility for it. They get away with it in court under a technicality. Complete crap, they should've been massively fined and ordered to stop.

Had that been any other dog attacking another dog, every second Joe in the street would want it put down, but no not the innocent hounds :rolleyes:

It was the language or people from a different time, it's called history , not a reflection of people currently there. Again don't stir sh/t here.

I like many a thing.

Animals hunt other animals out of instinct and survival. A horse or hound or human does not need to hunt a fox or deer for survival. It is for fun and probably seen by its members as a family day out. Nothing more.

Like you just said, animals hunt other animals, you can't suddenly justify a fox deserving to die because it Hunted a different animal which you just admitted is fine. Probably should get over your poults....

Very defensive posting style, nearly pushing aggressive. Not very sportsman like 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Its a drag hunt they chase a scent nothing gets killed on a drag hunt,even in a normal hunt they rarely catch foxes
    All sorts of people like to ride to hounds from all sorts of backgrounds and professions you can even rent out horses from some of the packs you should try it you might like it
    Regarding the people who used dogs to kill deer theyve been dealt with by the courts and have no relation to a drag hunt but on a more serious note wild deer must be controlled or they will suffer
    If you feel that strongly about it you should go up to the phoenix park and chain yourself to the cross because the deer are culled every year by the npws

I'm not trying to stir up anything here but simply pose a question / start a discussion on a discussion forum , I didn't even know these things still existed in the 21st century mind you.Shouldn't of happened but did, by several hounds , not a normal situation. They didn't exactly go public , only admitted that it happened but no one took responsibility for it. They get away with it in court under a technicality. Complete crap, they should've been massively fined and ordered to stop.
    Had that been any other dog attacking another dog, every second Joe in the street would want it put down, but no not the innocent hounds
    It was the language or people from a different time, it's called history , not a reflection of people currently there. Again don't stir sh/t here.
    I like many a thing.
    Animals hunt other animals out of instinct and survival. A horse or hound or human does not need to hunt a fox or deer for survival. It is for fun and probably seen by its members as a family day out. Nothing more.
    Like you just said, animals hunt other animals, you can't suddenly justify a fox deserving to die because it Hunted a different animal which you just admitted is fine. Probably should get over your poults....
    Very defensive posting style, nearly pushing aggressive. Not very sportsman like

Who says I is a "sportsman? More assumptions! I have poultry!

You made a very stupid mistake of attacking a group of people you did not know for something they wern't doing and then threw in one singular incident which was accidental and tried to make it about that :rolleyes:

Ya start a discussion based on rubbish to stir it up. And project your bias as to the way people speak or who they are ... nice!

Foxes are predators did you know that? You know why people shoot them do ya? You know that is not illegal either. No foxes are not Disney animals- did you take a look at the photo linked?

If you believe we should hand over pets and domestic animals to feed foxes then I suggest you leave a child to take its chance in the wild - as something is obviously hungry that's ok then! Bizarre logic that ...

Again projecting your ideas that it's 'fun' and a day out" well if it's drag hunting it probably is ...

Ya let's ban all vehicles forever that may accidently run over floppsey the lil rabbit that will teach them! Barstewards! Actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've just been offered eight legs of venison for two hundred Euro.
    Does anyone think that's two deer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I wouldn't be fawning over it.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    I wouldn't be fawning over it.

ah for foxs sake ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If you feel that strongly about it you should go up to the phoenix park and chain yourself to the cross because the deer are culled every year by the npws

"Young deers of Ireland...I love you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Why are you still talking about foxes and deers being hunted? Has it not already been pointed out to you that this was a drag hunt? The deer that was illegally shot wasn't on horseback either...

Is it horse riding, dog use, or hunting in general that you're against? Or are you just here to sh*t stir, because you're jumping around like a hare at the moment, trying to find someone to blame for something...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

More assumptions! I have poultry!

So you are a chicken lover then, and a fox hater :p so chickalicious of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I feel kinda bad for clay pigeons, first flight and they're blasted to death with a shot-gun, the shooters must really hate them.

I feel kinda bad for clay pigeons, first flight and they're blasted to death with a shot-gun, the shooters must really hate them.

Ahh the poor wee Skeets. You're a cruel man Tom!

Personally I find them a bit tough tbh

Is there a bad smell in here? I think I've trod on something rotten ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ahh the poor wee Skeets. You're a cruel man Tom!

Personally I find them a bit tough tbh

Is there a bad smell in here? I think I've trod on something rotten ....

Must of stood on one of them dead clay pigeons ;)

Oldtree wrote: »
    Must of stood on one of them dead clay pigeons ;)

Nah the dead ones tend to get stuck in the branches. But yes thanks that would explain what that smell was....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I find it hard to condemn this given that I eat meat. I'd rather be a fox living in the wild, even if there was a chance I may be torn apart by viscous dogs, rather than an animal raised to be put on a conveyor belt and slaughtered. Most of us are hypocrites when it comes to animals, pigs are as intelligent as dogs yet ham is a national obsession.
    IDK, living a cushy life with all the food you can eat, warmth, protection, and medical care with the end being a quick death or living free, starving, eeking out subsistence, cold, mangey, no protection against disease, to die of disease or starve to death when you're too old and weak to catch food...

Yeah. Much better to let their numbers grow to a point where they're unsustainable and animals start to starve to death, while vast numbers of them roam to find food. Deer look lovely, until you try shoo a 200kg red deer stag away from your flower bed.

Hunting them with dogs isn't good though. A bullet through the head is more humane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I have relatives who are heavily into the hunting. The idea that these people are all toffs is hilarious. Couldn't find a bigger bunch of muck savages if you tried. But very dapper ones, all the same!

Advertisement