Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson 12" Desk Fan

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

sdanseo wrote: »
    Don't want to dive even more off topic or appear completely anal about it, but on a point of clarification - Conor Pope is a mere journalist and I can't read his article because I'm not paying €16 a month for an Irish Times

Conor pope knows a little about a lot and generally manages to gets it wrong, he loves the sound of his voice when he's misrepresenting facts. He seems to have slotted in as the new Eddie Hobbs, but like Eddie he will eventually get found out and lose credit when he is found out like Eddie was with property(when he lost his shirt buying a mansion in 2007 and also Brendan investments). I can't understand why people listen to these clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

This fan model, along with other ones, is available, refurbished, from the Dyson Ebay outlet at £189.99 (~€215)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Is it worth the price? And this is a genuine question, I'm not trying to have a dig or dispute that this is a bargain, I legitimately want to know is this particular fan worth more than a standard 12" desk fan that you can pick up for 30-40quid?

Better cooling? Quieter? I know I'd pay a nice bit if I could get a fan that's quieter than the Honeywell one I got off Amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

gizmo81 wrote: »
    They have shops in Carlow and Kilkenny.

Also part of Euronics group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

tedpan wrote: »
    Who is electro city by the way? Looks pretty dodgy.

Just because a retailer doesn't have big stores in Dublin doesn't make them "dodgy"

They are a family owned group of three stores in Kilkenny, carlow and Waterford.

Been in business for almost 30 years and the service level they provide is way way way above the crap handed out by currys and power city.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

CeilingFly wrote:
    They are a family owned group of three stores in Kilkenny, carlow and Waterford.

Power city is family owned too, and not part of a larger group, like euronics.
    CeilingFly wrote:
    Just because a retailer doesn't have big stores in Dublin doesn't make them "dodgy"

Their website looks dodgy. You can't argue with that
    CeilingFly wrote:
    Been in business for almost 30 years and the service level they provide is way way way above the crap handed out by currys and power city.

Ok, customer service is a different thing. I can understand that they maybe far superior to the likes of currys and power city, although in the end they're just a reseller.

I can't justify a 30e saving as a "bargain"

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Is it worth the price? And this is a genuine question, I'm not trying to have a dig or dispute that this is a bargain, I legitimately want to know is this particular fan worth more than a standard 12" desk fan that you can pick up for 30-40quid?

Better cooling? Quieter? I know I'd pay a nice bit if I could get a fan that's quieter than the Honeywell one I got off Amazon...
    @wnolan1992

Worth it is subjective of course, but my order was delivered today (ordered yesterday for what it's worth).
    First impressions are very positive, it's slightly smaller than I expected but generates a decent stream of cool air. Even at maximum strength the noise is nothing more than a slight hum. I haven't tested in rotation mode so that may generate more noise.

The remote control is responsive and attaches nicely to the top of the 'fan' via magnet. Very neat.

Overall, I'm definitely not going to pretend that it's not expensive but Dyson are a top notch brand and this is a well made product.
    So far I'm happy that I'll get good value for money out of it.
    Never had any dealings with ElectroCity before but impressed by the quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

What a fan-tastic offer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bump given the current heatwave... currently just €30 cheaper than most places at €270... http://www.electrocity.ie/dyson-cool-desk-fan-am06wh/

How do those of you who purchased during the original deal last year feel about the fan now, 1 year on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Having stood in front of one yesterday in HN for a while, these are SH!TE. No power or force in them. More power out of my 10 quid tesco one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Heatwave will be over in less than 10 days (based on all years spent in Ireland), you will be left with ~€250 paper weight on your desk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm hot also.

Quit your daydreaming and grab a 99

There's your bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some neck to charge 250 quid for a motor,a fan,and a few cents worth of electronics. The "air purifier"model presumably has the added advanced technology of a filter.
    Shudder to think what it costs them to make these,way less than a fiver at a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kneemos wrote: »
    Some neck to charge 250 quid for a motor,a fan,and a few cents worth of electronics. The "air purifier"model presumably has the added advanced technology of a filter.
    Shudder to think what it costs them to make these,way less than a fiver at a guess.

Pair of runners with no brand name - 30 quid

Almost the exact same pair of runners with Nike name on it - 100 quid.

Phone with mid range specs - 250 quid
    Phone with Iphone badge on it - 800 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

We have one at work, just looks good that's all.. No better than a regular fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pelvis wrote:
    Paid €20 for my desk fan.

I bought the Dyson desk fan 2 years ago. I use it 8 hours a day all year round. I love it. Its funky looking & is quieter than a 20 euro fan. Having said all that if you are only going to use it for 3 or 4 weeks in the year I'd definitely go with the 20 euro fan.

The Dyson fan doesn't purity the air (you'll pay 500 euro for one that does). Mine is running beside me right now and much as I'd love it to it doesn't keep me any cooler than the 20 euro fan would.

Dyson. Really nice products but really overpriced too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Thanks OP. Bought 1/8th

Advertisement