Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson 12" Desk Fan

Options
  • 18-07-2017 8:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

ElectroCity are selling the Dyson desk fan for €249, seems like a great price. Other sites over €300

http://electrocity.ie/dyson-am06-12-desk-fan-in-white/

Very tempted, have an animal hoover and it's fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Dyson desk fan for €249...

...have an animal hoover and it's fantastic.

Number 1 fan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Paid €20 for my desk fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pelvis wrote: »

Yeah same feeling, not trying to take a dig but €250-300 seems crazy for a desk fan. Could be wrong are they any good?

Pelvis wrote: »

I think this one has air cleaning properties, which I'd definitely buy into, if it were half that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This always comes up when a brand name has a discounted price. People don't care if you bought a fan for €20, you didn't buy a dyson at that price.

Just let the bargain pass you by.

• Advertisement

This always comes up when a brand name has a discounted price. People don't care if you bought a fan for €20, you didn't buy a dyson at that price.

But pray tell why 250 is a bargain for a desk fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

At €249 for a desk fan I'm delighted to let this "bargain" pass me by.
    I fell into the Dyson "brand" trap a while back and bought a vacuum cleaner. Piece of over engineered crap which broke down after a couple of years light use.
    Binned it and bought a far cheaper one which is still going strong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

UsedToWait wrote: »

I posted it because these are usually over €300

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1423291/Trail/searchtext%3EDYSON+DESK+FAN.htm

I thought it was worth alerting interested parties of the €80 saving.

dusty207 wrote: »
    I fell into the Dyson "brand" trap a while back and bought a vacuum cleaner. Piece of over engineered crap which broke down after a couple of years light use.

You have six years warranty under the Sale of Goods Act 1980

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 only states that goods must be of merchantable quality, as described, and match any sample displayed.

The six year thing is a misinterpretation of an EC Directive. Even then, you have to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase unless the goods are less than six months old. Since no one can usually prove this, most people who actually get refunds, etc. get them because they threaten some form of legal action via the small claims court.

On topic, €250 for a fan is a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

In our lovely country, I cant seem many needing an expensive desk fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Appropriate user name there Dusty!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OP has mentioned he's seen them for €80 more expensive. At €249, €80 is a ~24% discount. That's why I think it's a bargain as it's comparing like with like. The fact it's a desk fan is irrelevant, it could be anything item.

Thanks for that but the shop I bought it from ceased trading. I then got onto Dyson directly and was given an almighty run around. They clearly had no interest in doing anything to resolve the issue so I gave up.
    They never took up my advice to change their slogan from "Dyson, the cleaner that never loses suction" to "Dyson, the cleaner that sucks" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lenan

Have to say was in currys yesterday (warehouse type store) and I was very impressed with the Dyson fan, I actually thought there was air conditioner unit at the tills.

sdanseo wrote: »

Not really, is €100,000 for a car a waste of money if you want that model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Thanks for that but the shop I bought it from ceased trading. I then got onto Dyson directly and was given an almighty run around. They clearly had no interest in doing anything to resolve the issue so I gave up.
    They never took up my advice to change their slogan from "Dyson, the cleaner that never loses suction" to "Dyson, the cleaner that sucks" :D:D:D

100% agree that dyson service is poor. Got their mini vacuum a good few years back, had issues with recharging, was near impossible to contact them and they claimed the out of warranty trick.

Well known issue with the model - argued with them. They offered a "reduced price" new battery and charger. I declined and never have bought one of their products since.

Generally they get more bad reviews for their after care service than a premium price brand should get.

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 only states that goods must be of merchantable quality, as described, and match any sample displayed.

The six year thing is a misinterpretation of an EC Directive. Even then, you have to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase unless the goods are less than six months old. Since no one can usually prove this, most people who actually get refunds, etc. get them because they threaten some form of legal action via the small claims court.

No you don't have to prove the fault existed, it must be fit for purpose.
    Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC, the goods must be as described by the seller, fit for usual purpose, and of satisfactory quality and performance.

Responsibilities aside, it is important to remember that under the Sale of Goods Act, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items. There are limits to this law, however. And the limits are typically governed by how much you pay for something, what it is supposed to do and what you do with it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/i-wish-to-register-a-complaint-know-your-consumer-rights-before-the-fight-1.2340398

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I think this one has air cleaning properties, which I'd definitely buy into, if it were half that price.

this model doesnt purify

sunny2004 wrote: »
    this model doesnt purify

I need purification.
    I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

sunny2004 wrote: »

That will be my first post lottery purchase!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Who is electro city by the way? Looks pretty dodgy.

Also, these fans are regularly on offer online for 220-250e.

A portable air conditioner is a better buy. Not sure if it's needed in Ireland anyway

tedpan wrote: »
    Who is electro city by the way? Looks pretty dodgy.

Also, these fans are regularly on offer online for 220-250e.

A portable air conditioner is a better buy. Not sure if it's needed in Ireland anyway

They have shops in Carlow and Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

gizmo81 wrote:
    They have shops in Carlow and Kilkenny.

Ah ok.

Currys sell the fan for 279e with no mention of a sale. 30e off is not a bargain in my opinion. But hey ho.

OP has mentioned he's seen them for €80 more expensive. At €249, €80 is a ~24% discount. That's why I think it's a bargain as it's comparing like with like. The fact it's a desk fan is irrelevant, it could be anything item.

You picked me up wrong.
    I'm not denigrating the BA
    I'm looking for a reason to say: Take my money!

No you don't have to prove the fault existed, it must be fit for purpose.
    Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC, the goods must be as described by the seller, fit for usual purpose, and of satisfactory quality and performance.

Responsibilities aside, it is important to remember that under the Sale of Goods Act, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items. There are limits to this law, however. And the limits are typically governed by how much you pay for something, what it is supposed to do and what you do with it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/i-wish-to-register-a-complaint-know-your-consumer-rights-before-the-fight-1.2340398

Don't want to dive even more off topic or appear completely anal about it, but on a point of clarification - Conor Pope is a mere journalist and I can't read his article because I'm not paying €16 a month for an Irish Times subscription :D In any event, he's wrong.

http://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/
    If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase. For this reason, the consumer should not have to provide proof of the defect.
    If the fault arises more than six months after purchase, the seller may request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse – for instance, by obtaining a report from an independent expert.

Don't want to dive even more off topic, but on a point of clarification - Conor Pope is a mere journalist and I can't read his article because I'm not paying €16 a month for an Irish Times subscription :D

http://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/

That contradicts what you said earlier,

You don't. You have to prove it is a fault and not misuse.

That contradicts what you said earlier,

You don't. You have to prove it is a fault and not misuse.

Touché. Semantics though, because a product that is defective after two years and wasn't misused must therefore have been sold with the propensity to develop the defect. Making it de facto defective at the time of purchase.

My point is similar anyway, in that the burden of proof is usually quite difficult or too time-consuming for most to bother obtaining it.

Can we talk about fans again?

• Advertisement

I admit it wouldn't be on my wish list at €250 either.

If it had some magical kinda in-built air conditioning or something, it could well be great purchase and great invention, but as a normal fan, it's a bit much.

To each their own though.

Advertisement