Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips 49PUS6401 49 Inch SMART 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Any codes left for Dub ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Long shot but if anyone ends up with a code anywhere in Leinster they're not using I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

OU812 wrote: »
    I think that might be the model with more than one ambilight each side.

Ah, it is. I thought the one on offer was aswell. I bought this up the north earlier in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would appreciate a Leinster code if any going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I think that might be the model with more than one ambilight each side.

Yea it's the 3 sided version. .

. . The one I wish they would put up on offer but never do.

EDIT: here is the two sided type :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

Nabbed a reservation code for the Dundrum Store early this morning, to be collected by Thursday 13th, if anyone wants just reply here...

Small catch though, the reservation email is showing a price of €569, even though its still on the site at €409 and the site states that, that price is valid until 20th July, so there shouldn't really be a problem getting it for €409....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

Price has gone back up on the website now too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭imtired999

NoelDoran wrote: »
    Nabbed a reservation code for the Dundrum Store early this morning, to be collected by Thursday 13th, if anyone wants just reply here...

Small catch though, the reservation email is showing a price of €569, even though its still on the site at €409 and the site states that, that price is valid until 20th July, so there shouldn't really be a problem getting it for €409....

If it's still available, can I take the reservation code ?

Thanks.

Are you still seeing €409? I think the offer may have been valid up until July 11th. I could take the code off you and try in Dundrum today?

Sunjava wrote: »
    Are you still seeing €409? I think the offer may have been valid up until July 11th. I could take the code off you and try in Dundrum today?

Ha, would you look at that, they have changed the listing only in the last hour, price was still €409 round 7 this morning but now its €569...

Reservation code i have would be no good now to argue the case for €409

If afraid you missed out buddy....sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Ha, would you look at that, they have changed the listing only in the last hour, price was still €409 round 7 this morning but now its €569...

So what's the point in displaying "Price valid until X" on their site if they're just going to drop the listing, change the price and put it back up at a moments notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

I'm looking to buy a soundbar for this tv and I am wondering does the tv support hdmi arc. I was told if it does not have hdmi arc it will not support a soundbar through hdmi.
    This is the soundbar I'm looking at it is equipped with arc
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTL5140B_12/soundbar-speaker

I'm looking to buy a soundbar for this tv and I am wondering does the tv support hdmi arc. I was told if it does not have hdmi arc it will not support a soundbar through hdmi.
    This is the soundbar I'm looking at it is equipped with arc
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/HTL5140B_12/soundbar-speaker

Nearly sure all HDMI ports on this TV support ARC.

Taken From Review Of TV on expertreviews.co.uk

"You can use the optical S/PDIF output on the rear for connecting a soundbar or alternatively any of the HDMI ports as all of them support ARC (Audio Return Channel, for sending audio from the TV out to other devices). Only the rear HDMI ports support HDCP 2.2, although that's unlikely to be a big problem in the foreseeable future."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Any reservations going for any Limerick store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

You still can! I've done that in the past with an xbox360, argos staff didn't bat an eyelid when I showed her the lower price on the Reservation code via my phone and said 'yep that's fine'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

I went for the 5" version, it's down from €1099 a year ago to €650. It's replacing a 42" plasma that's almost 10 years old.

I'm still setting it up, have to get the kids to bed & then play with it fully. I have to be honest, it's absolutely gorgeous with stunning visuals. I don't trust my eyes anymore because 4K is so much better than real life !!!

Has anyone any recommendation for an iOS remote for it? The official one is pants.

I have one problem though, it doesn't fit where it's supposed to go. The 49" would have suited far better but they were all sold out. Right now it's balanced precariously on the old TV stand at the front of the alcove (bloody fireplaces going in the middle of the room, they should be in the corner leaving loads of bare wall for big TVs).

Wife is away until the weekend so I have until then to try to figure something out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Has anyone who ordered via eBay able to check their shipping status? Mine supposedly shipped on Sunday but nothing appearing on courier site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Has anyone who ordered via eBay able to check their shipping status? Mine supposedly shipped on Sunday but nothing appearing on courier site

i ordered sat afternoon and it got delivered today by fastway, got a email from argos telling me, "dont worry we will contact you well in advance to arrange the day to deliver .. got nothing, tracking didnt work.. got a phone call whilst i was out,he was at the house..

anyway... fantastic tv for that money,thank you op,and thank you ebay lister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Does anyone have any guides on how to get the most of the Android TV installed on it? Like how to sideload Plex or anything? Does it work exactly like a chromecast and do any Irish channels support chromecast?

i ordered sat afternoon and it got delivered today by fastway, got a email from argos telling me, "dont worry we will contact you well in advance to arrange the day to deliver .. got nothing, tracking didnt work.. got a phone call whilst i was out,he was at the house..

Funnily enough mine appeared 5 mins after posting the question. Took 5 minutes to set up and move the other 4K tv to the sitting room. I like the ambilight feature and works well with the Hue lights in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That's Fastway. Argos think Fastway operate it that way, which they should it is what Argos pay for. Fastway are an awfully bad courier company. Not exactly cheap either to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Anyone know how to get saorview and UK free channels via this TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone know how to get saorview and UK free channels via this TV.

You need to hook it up to dish and aerial to get either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

errlloyd wrote: »
    Does anyone have any guides on how to get the most of the Android TV installed on it? Like how to sideload Plex or anything? Does it work exactly like a chromecast and do any Irish channels support chromecast?

You can install Plex directly.

Yes, the tv shows up in "Cast" menus. Not sure what you mean by Irish channels supporting it?

You could install the player apps if that's what you are getting at.

Thanks op and noeldoran

Should this show HDR on the box, I don't see it anywhere on mine?

Should this show HDR on the box, I don't see it anywhere on mine?

Nope but it does have HDR

Only complaint with this tv is the crappy sound. There's no punch at all & it's extremely lacking at higher volumes. I'm going to get a soundbar & disable the internal speakers.

Actually no, strike that, I've too complaints. The second one it the picture is so good, that some shows I watch have left me disapointed in whay I now see are extremely bad sets & effects. My old TV was 720p & I thought that was good until I saw this.

Only complaint with this tv is the crappy sound. There's no punch at all & it's extremely lacking at higher volumes. I'm going to get a soundbar & disable the internal speakers.

Actually no, strike that, I've too complaints. The second one it the picture is so good, that some shows I watch have left me disapointed in whay I now see are extremely bad sets & effects. My old TV was 720p & I thought that was good until I saw this.

Have a look on Amazon, this soundbar is on the warehouse deal as "used like new" which means damaged box only for €183 delivered to Ireland and the specs look very good.

Philips HTL5140B/12 2.1 Channel Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J2SBHQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8piAzbXWQX4EY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rabii

Hi folks,
    1st- any body have a issue with 4k playback, the 1st 15min works fine after that the screen get over size when you play 4k in YouTube or Netflix, tell you restart.

2nd -you can use a air mouse remote works fine with YouTube and browser, can't get the back button to work, (i did try 2 remotes same issue).
    3rd party apps works fine need to install Es folder manager, as you can't download the apk directly, you well need a PC then a flash drive. You can use the Bluetooth connectivity for sound bar works fantastic with my portable Bluetooth speakers and headphones for privacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Some tips for this TV:

- The picture quality out of the box on this TV is sorry to say absolutely terrible, there is ONLY one setting that is decent and that is the PHOTO setting weirdly enough, all other settings are way over-saturated, to bright or to dim, even with the LATEST firmware updates which add various tweaks, a updated android, a new colour natural setting, but even after the firmware is updated the colours are still wishy-washy and still the PHOTO setting is the only setting that offers a decent, well-calibrated, balanced quality picture.

- Android is FANTASTIC and this TV as recently had a NEW firmware update about 1 week ago. However even with the NEW firmware updates your choice on google play is still LIMITED, you must remember TVs are NOT phones and only a limited number of apps work with Android TVs, HOWEVER there is a way around the limited google play apps by manually downloading Android .APK files and installing them manually, you will be surprised what apps do work with Android TVs and you can really install a lot of apps by manually downloading the .APK files, to do this, you 1st need to install ES File Manager, download the desired .APK files from a site such as APKPURE found here: apkpure.com/ and install the APKs from with ES File Manager. You MUST however change some security settings which allows the installation from "Unknown Sources", this is found within the Android Settings Menu, you may find the screen rotation problem is evident with some apps, in this case uninstall, for example: If you are a Amazon Prime Member you can manually install the APK file of Amazon Underground & Amazon Music App which work perfectly well and allow you to install games from Amazon Underground, so far I have installed 5 games and they work perfectly well, you can use Amazon Music to but will NEED to use a USB mouse to navigate the app correctly. Speaking of USB Mice, you can use any USB mice with any app and even to navigate the TV, you can even use a Microsoft Xbox Windows Controller which I use to play games... Some apps and games require a mouse and a Xbox Controller, yet I assume any USB game controller will work fine also.

- The TV Guide on this TV is terrible, and you will notice a majority of icons are missing for channels, but There's an icon in the top right of the EPG - select it and choose the Internet as the source - it filled all the gaps for me and might get rid of your flickering problem.

- Do not bother with the Philips App Store, majority of the app versions or old and I have noticed some do not even work even after all the firmware updates, such as the Radio Apps.

- HDR, yes this TV does have HDR but you need to change the settings which is found in advanced settings to 4:2:2 & 4:4:4 this is a IMPORTANT SETTING to enable HDR and is NOT activated out-of-the-box, so if you want 4K & HDR you need to find this setting and change it as I have specified. the setting you must ACTIVATE is 4:2:2 & 4:4:4

- This ONLY as 8GB of storage but is actually 5GB, once the firmware update is complete, even though the TV highlights it as 8GB, 3GB of that data is used by the TV OS and CANNOT be deleted and you CANNOT ROOT this TV believe me I have tried, some Android TVs are easy to root, this is NOT, in-fact after reading numerous forums, due to a core setting Philips have put it place, it makes this TV impossible to ROOT.

- Constant Freezing & Juddering of the TV PICTURE? this is a strange problem I encountered, You may notice this issue once you have activated the HDR Setting, the picture suddenly freezes and juders, many users must obviously think this is due to the HDR setting which is highlighted once you activate it... I ASSURE all TV watchers however this is NOT the case, this problem is weirdly associated with the TV Guide, if you encounter this problem, the way to solve it is to leave your TV on standby over night, the TV Guide is updated at 6am daily... if you experience this issue its because the TV Channel Guide as NOT been updated, leaving this TV on standby for a few days solves this problem & the problem will never return unless you format. Yes I know strange but true, I have noticed its nothing to do with the HDR Setting at all.

- Just coming back to apps again, just to let you know you can uninstall ALL apps that are pre-loaded without issues, I would recommend doing so as most of them are European related apps.

- And FINALLY if you want to get the BEST PICTURE from this TV, check out a guy called DARKO on youtube, search "DARKO TV CALIBRATION" there is a video for this TV which goes in-depth with some settings.. if you cannot be bothered like I say the PHOTO SETTING is the BEST PICTURE SETTING to have, also make sure you go to the setting which reads PICTURE FORMAT and choose ORIGINAL.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Lads, can any of you tell me if it is possible to carry this tv back to the car, or would a shopping trolly be needed?

Lenny wrote: »
    Lads, can any of you tell me if it is possible to carry this tv back to the car, or would a shopping trolly be needed?

I'm just over 6 foot, and I struggled to get my arms the length of it. I had to go about 200 metres and it was a pain.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok, getting two so a trolly it is, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 geordieboy

I just got delivery of my tv this afternoon. Excitment beyond belief. Took out of box and started to unwrap when noticed screen broken. Bought on argos ebay. After 45 mins talking to argos, then ebay and then finally argos ebay...they should be easier to find after been given wrong number twice. They will collect next week and refund and i have to order again. I told him price had increased and he said he would have to speak to his manager. All i want is my tv and not broken, is this too much to ask. Actually felt sick when i saw screen was broken after all excitment on this forum. Here is hoping argos are as good a company as i hear and replace and not just refund as its the tv i want

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

geordieboy wrote: »
    I just got delivery of my tv this afternoon. Excitment beyond belief. Took out of box and started to unwrap when noticed screen broken. Bought on argos ebay. After 45 mibs talking to arvos, then ebay and then finally argos ebay...they should be easier to find after been given wrong number twice. They will collect next week and refund and i have to order again. I told him price had increased and he said he would have to speak to his manager. All i want is my tv and not broken, is this too much to ask. Actually felt sick when i saw screen was broken after all excitment on this forum. Here is hoping argos are as good a company as i hear and replace and not just refund as its the tv i want

They're no Amazon in my experience but fingers crossed

Anyone know of a guide for installing KODI etc on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Anyone know of a guide for installing KODI etc on it?

You can install KODI from the playstore. For addons, have a look at the KODI forums

- And FINALLY if you want to get the BEST PICTURE from this TV, check out a guy called DARKO on youtube, search "DARKO TV CALIBRATION" there is a video for this TV which goes in-depth with some settings.. if you cannot be bothered like I say the PHOTO SETTING is the BEST PICTURE SETTING to have, also make sure you go to the setting which reads PICTURE FORMAT and choose ORIGINAL.

- Just coming back to apps again, just to let you know you can uninstall ALL apps that are pre-loaded without issues, I would recommend doing so as most of them are European related apps.

Thanks for the info. I returned the TV for refund as another issue shows up (permanently lossing internet connection).

I was watching the tennis yesterday on this TV, in 1080p the was a bit of motion judder with the balm moving, anyone know what setting I should set the tv to to fix this, should I enable the HDr that the post earlier said will that fix it, haven't played a game on the xbox one s yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

rabii wrote: »
    I returned the TV for refund as another issue shows up (permanently lossing internet connection).

Are you with Virgin Media? The Horizon box can cause this, as it does with many other devices.

GarIT wrote:
    Are you with Virgin Media? The Horizon box can cause this, as it does with many other devices.

No I have a K1 plus, even if I start the TV without a hdmi connection it will work for 10 to 20 without a problem the time you switch to 4K the picture oversized and you will need to restart the TV or connect a FHD player to resize the TV picture to normal size. It's a known problem for this TV there is a long discussion open in Philips UK forum.

rabii wrote: »
    No I have a K1 plus, even if I start the TV without a hdmi connection it will work for 10 to 20 without a problem the time you switch to 4K the picture oversized and you will need to restart the TV or connect a FHD player to resize the TV picture to normal size. It's a known problem for this TV there is a long discussion open in Philips UK forum.

i am connecting my laptop to the tv, and i can't get it to display properly, my laptop displays 1080p, o when i connect the hdmi the laptop display changes to a lower quality, it displays good on the tv(it says 1080p) but when i change it to 4k, the display look really badge and like zoomed in on the tv,
    is there anyway around this anyone know?

Have a look on Amazon, this soundbar is on the warehouse deal as "used like new" which means damaged box only for €183 delivered to Ireland and the specs look very good.

Philips HTL5140B/12 2.1 Channel Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J2SBHQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8piAzbXWQX4EY

Got one. HUGE difference. Totally maximises the experience.

Big benefit is it automatically cuts off the TVs speakers & volume/mute comes from the TV remote

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

I cant seem to find the HDR settings the poster above was talking about.
    Is there a HDR settings in the Advanced settings page or something? "advanced settings to 4:2:2 & 4:4:4", I didn't see anything about this in advanced settings.

TV is very nice. Notice some judder watching 4k sometimes but I think its because of the Wifi, I have it connected by ethernet but it doesn't seem to ever connect to the wired internet.
    Also the viewing angles aren't very good, the glare is very bad. Perfect in a darker room but if your in an apartment like me with a full glass window, it can be quite bad. Still trying to figure out some kinks but overall very happy.

So is there a way to sideload nowtv on to this for game of thrones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Two quick question on this:

1. Anyone know how to load KODI easily?
    2. YouTube - how do you search on this by typing? All I can see is the voice-activated method, which isn't working - I assume you need a separate keyboard/remote for this?

You will need a air mouse or wireless mouse to use YouTube and some other apps easily. Also you can use the Philips TV app available in Google play to search using voice commands. Answering your 1st question: you will need a USB flash drive with your add-ons and just brows and install, other option is to find a repository links like SRP or something. Finally for all other apps you will need to install ES explorer download the app to you pc copy over to USB disk install from ES apk. Hope this answers your questions.

Anyone been able to connect their TV to "ambilight + hue"? It can't find mine for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Has anyone got one and wants to sell it ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement