Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE cameraman attacked by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

RayM wrote: »
    To me, that sounded more like 'Get off our street, Nazi scum' (referring to Pegida members, not the Gardai).
    Exactly. It was the anti-fascist protesters chanting 'Off our streets, Nazi scum', directed at the Pegida supporters who they chased down North Earl Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No surprise on here that supporters of guarda violence are cheering on the attack of a member of the press who posed no threat to anyone. The easy target for some pent up frustrated loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Berserker wrote: »
    I love this type of stuff. That is very timid in comparison to the riot police you'd come across in mainland Europe. They would walk through a group of scrots like that and them some. The police are there to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation. Asking those protesters to move away in a nice gentle tone isn't going to get the job done. I'd hazard a guess that many in that group are known trouble makers.

Au contraire mon ami, dem guards would be ate alive by some of the mental antifa groups in europe.

You can see the heads in that video backed off once the gardai showed up. At one point some little garda runs in alone to stop them giving some lad the digs and they all left it at that. She'd be sent flying in other parts of europe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Jesus Christ.

People have a right to protest. There's no indication from the article or the video that anyone was being violent other than the Gardai who decided pre-emptively that no protest would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Where were the 'protestors' going anyway? M&L for the lunch special? Or Fusciardis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Idiot standing in front of a gard while a riot is going on and standing on the side of the violent mob.

No sympathy.

Manach wrote: »
    My offhand understanding is that journalists are afforded by custom and international treaty a measure of immunity as recorders of current events. This is not always respected : as numerous causulties that occur in trouble spots around the world attest. Thus a pity this protection is not the case in the Ireland of 2016.

In fairness, the cameraman is not exactly Tim Hetherington in a hail of bullets.

The Gardai clearly said get back again and again. The English language is surely the first language for camera men too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Idiot standing in Dunn of a gard while a riot is going on

How fcuking sheltered is your life that you see that as a riot?

lmao

lmao

Oh I seen it. They attack a shop where innocent people are working an shopping swinging digs.

It was a riot make no mistake.

Idiots using violence to shut down people they call fascists for their beliefs.

Irony is off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Watch rte milk the life out of this, he will be interviewed by that clown D'Arcy on sat night, and will ring aul joe on monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Shouldn't the media be given a pass or avoided in situations like that? They are there to record what is happening rather than being part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Jesus Christ.

People have a right to protest. There's no indication from the article or the video that anyone was being violent other than the Gardai who decided pre-emptively that no protest would be allowed.

I would argue the same point but take it from a different perspective, a group of citizens (who may have repugnant views but thats aside from the point) have a right to assemble peacefully without being attacked. The Garda here are upholding that right.
    I don't deny that the Garda can be aggressive at times but as other posters have pointed out in mainland Europe they would laugh at this as an example of Police brutality (and in the UK and NI too)

lmao

Whether it was a riot isn't that relevant.

Once the Gardai fear a threat to public order they can tell people to leave an area. If you don't obey, well I think the odd rap of a baton is fair enough. Not excessive, not more than necessary to get someone to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Some of those Gardai looked very aggressive and keen to crack a few craniums

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No surprises as the who's first in to defend anything associated with the establishment.

That gaurd seemed like a clown. None of the other gaurds deemed it necessary to behave like him. You can hear him say "come on" to the protesters and motion with his hand. Any sort of power goes straight to some people
    The man ignored repeated orders to step back, he didn't step back, the gardaí enforced their instruction. No law broken, this is a nothing news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Whether it was a riot isn't that relevant.

Once the Gardai fear a threat to public order they can tell people to leave an area. If you don't obey, well I think the odd rap of a baton is fair enough. Not excessive, not more than necessary to get someone to move.
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The man ignored repeated orders to step back, he didn't step back, the gardaí enforced their instruction. No law broken, this is a nothing news story.

Just because Gardai are allowed to tell people to leave, doesn't mean we can't object to cases in which they shouldn't. Protests should be allowed to happen unless they turn violent, not just shut down because they might.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 333 ✭✭BigJackC

The Irish far left have shown themselves to be a horrible bunch through their conduct at today's peaceful march by the PEGIDA group. They left one lad in hospital. What are the Gardai meant to do when a group is violently attacking peaceful protesters?

If there are a certain cohort that cannot respect people's right to protest then they should be criminalised. Jail sentences should be given to leftists that participate in these attacks and public figures who encourage this behaviour should also be punished.

I was looking at some media reports of PEGIDA protests across Europe. German anti PEGIDA protesters were holding up banners saying "bomber Harris do it again."

The self hatred is baffling.

Just because Gardai are allowed to tell people to leave, doesn't mean we can't object to cases in which they shouldn't. Protests should be allowed to happen unless they turn violent, not just shut down because they might.

Did you see the footage?

The protestor attacked a shop with violence, seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

He was clearly pointing his camera lens at the Gardai, in a threatening manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

lmao

Ah the hardest man on boards. Been in dozens of riots. Hundreds. Thousands even.

I find with these things that the gardai is hero or zero depending on who he is hitting. Were this group of thugs the, um, fascists (or people protesting Islam if you prefer) then the gardai would be heroes to those calling them thugs and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Doesn't the article state that they were preventing peaceful protesters being attacked after they were chased into a shop.
    They may not be nice people but they have as much right under law as gay rights advocates etc to be protected from physical violence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I get the Guards do a tough job but some of them are definitely just pumped up and too willing to lash out in these situations. There are people on here who would defend the Guards if they were caught on camera pistol whipping a child for robbing sweets.

The guy had a camera on his shoulder and his back to the Guard. The Guard had to break his line to get to him. He wasn't running at the cordon with a petrol bomb. There's another video of same cameraman getting a good whack across the leg.

Berserker wrote: »
    ..........The police are there to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation. .......

So gesturing to them to come on is diffusing how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Did you see the footage?

At this stage it was in fact a contained riot. The gardai had pushed people intent on physical harm of a (non violent ) protest, a mob that chased guys down a street and into the shop. This happened after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So out of a line of batton weilding guards why was only one guard swinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Did you see the footage?

The video I saw on the 6:01 showed them chasing a group into the euro Giant and some kind of scuffle going on inside. The Gardaí pulled them all out by the scruffs of their necks, the odd baton slap on those trying to advance into the shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Jesus Christ.

No . no they dont . its this sort of lack of understanding that results in so many stupid internet conversations

In Ireland there is a right to peace full assemble not the right to protest.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html

If you watched the full videos then you would see that the whole thing was far from peacefull

Collie D wrote: »
    There are people on here who would defend the Guards if they were caught on camera pistol whipping a child for robbing sweets...

And there are people on here who would have a go at the Guards if they were caught on camera looking the wrong way at a serial killer.

Is it 1 all on the silly exaggerations?

JJayoo wrote: »
    So out of a line of batton weilding guards why was only one guard swinging?

Because he's a w@nker.
    when he stopped swinging he gestured to the crowd (some of them) to come on :)

Clearly he does a bit of MMA in his spare time and was chomping at the bit to get stuck in, grade A w@nker.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    The video I saw on the 6:01 showed them chasing a group into the euro Giant and some kind of scuffle going on inside. The Gardaí pulled them all out by the scruffs of their necks, the odd baton slap on those trying to advance into the shop.

They were attacking people in a shop with innocent shoppers and workers.

Tell me what the gards should have done?

Advertisement