Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE cameraman attacked by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

20Cent wrote: »
    RTE have filed an official complaint against the Gardai after a cameraman was injured during a protest after an anti-Islam group Pegida tried to have a meeting in Dublin.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/scuffles-break-out-at-launch-of-anti-immigration-group-in-dublin-1.2525530

An Irish Times journalist nearly got smashed in the face making this video.
    https://youtu.be/jFv6ArDBEBY

In the video the Guarda can be seen goading the crowd he is clearly looking to hit someone.

Time for review of how they handle protests.

The cameraman was in the wrong place. He made the decision to place himself in danger so I have no sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

The video as always is only showing one side of the clash. The crowd are as rough as a badgers arse with one lad goading the gardai.

If I was in a crowd like that and got a wallop I would have it coming to me.

Fair enough, he gives the camera a fair whack which he probably shouldn't, but the crowd are being absolute gowls.
    'Get off our street, gardai scum'.
    Ya, seems like a wise idea for a society.

Few of those lads deserve to have the chops slapped off them. Peaceful protest me hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The sad thing is nearly every time you read about facists and anti-facist protesters, its the Anti-Fa ones that always seem to be the ones that are actually involved in violence. Strange because using violence to achieve ones political aims is normally associated with what ideology (spot quiz ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The cameraman was at fault. He should have kept a safe distance from them. I think the police handled that situation very, very well. The protesters sounded like a right crowd of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Member of the Gardaí loses the run of himself and attacks a member of the press, and the consensus is he must have had good reason to do it.
    Yep, boards is still boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Yeah i dont see a whole lot in that. Camera or no camera he was in a crowd of thugs looking to cause a row

That's a serious click bait of a title as well.
    His camera got a whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Not excusing the Guard if he was in the wrong but this is what happens in these situations. If a section of the crowd didn't break off from the main demonstration(to cause trouble by looking at the report and the videos floating around) this wouldn't have happended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

His camera got a whack.

The video was taken by an Irish Times journalist he got out of the way in time.

The injured person is an RTE cameraman suppose the big camera on his shoulder meant he was "asking for it.".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The cameraman was in the wrong place. He made the decision to place himself in danger so I have no sympathy.

No surprises as the who's first in to defend anything associated with the establishment.

That gaurd seemed like a clown. None of the other gaurds deemed it necessary to behave like him. You can hear him say "come on" to the protesters and motion with his hand. Any sort of power goes straight to some people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

To me, that sounded more like 'Get off our street, Nazi scum' (referring to Pegida members, not the Gardai).

Not that there isn't a massively scummy element amongst the Gardai too, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Now if we could just get him to sort out a few "presenters" !

That Garda seems a total gnome, he was actually gesturing to the protesters to come and have a go (as he stepped back to the safety of his colleagues).

Serious w@nker imo, looking to trouble.

The video as always is only showing one side of the clash. The crowd are as rough as a badgers arse with one lad goading the gardai.

If I was in a crowd like that and got a wallop I would have it coming to me.

Fair enough, he gives the camera a fair whack which he probably shouldn't, but the crowd are being absolute gowls.
    Ya, seems like a wise idea for a society.

Few of those lads deserve to have the chops slapped off them. Peaceful protest me hole.

They were saying "nazi scum" and it wasn't directed at the gaurds. But as usual, don't let reality get in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

"ye fcuking free state b@stard"

Republic old chap Republic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Everyone is a camera man these days!

The Gardai showed remarkable restraint

'Everybody move back' was clearly repeated over an extended period of time

Garda instructions are ultimately enforceable as witnessed, no laws broken by the Gardai from my review.

Garda instructions apply to camera men and reporters too.

End of.

RayM wrote: »
    To me, that sounded more like 'Get off our street, Nazi scum' (referring to Pegida members, not the Gardai).

Not that there isn't a massively scummy element amongst the Gardai too, of course.

Well I'm sure some gardai are ****. It's to be expected.

Ahh thought I heard gardai. Meh, same thing really.
    Just assumed it was becuase the gaurds got aggressive and backed off.

Is there a quote at the start where the gaurd throws a slap at your mans leg and they say
    'You free state bastard' or police state bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

masti123 wrote: »
    Member of the Gardaí loses the run of himself and attacks a member of the press, and the consensus is he must have had good reason to do it.
    Yep, boards is still boards.

The guards were holding a line. They are trained to use batons. They used batons.

They were saying "nazi scum" and it wasn't directed at the gaurds. But as usual, don't let reality get in the way

What difference does that make to my reality.

They are still a crowd of knackers looking for trouble, especially more so chanting nazi scum at the other lads.

The irony is lost on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

They were definitely saying gardai scum. Accents sounded English too.

Edit.

No Nazi scum mostly. Was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Augeo wrote: »
    That Garda seems a total gnome, he was actually gesturing to the protesters to come and have a go (as he stepped back to the safety of his colleagues).

Serious w@nker imo, looking to trouble.

I love this type of stuff. That is very timid in comparison to the riot police you'd come across in mainland Europe. They would walk through a group of scrots like that and them some. The police are there to diffuse a potentially dangerous situation. Asking those protesters to move away in a nice gentle tone isn't going to get the job done. I'd hazard a guess that many in that group are known trouble makers.

They were definitely saying gardai scum. Accents sounded English too.

Maybe you should get a new battery put in that hearing aid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My offhand understanding is that journalists are afforded by custom and international treaty a measure of immunity as recorders of current events. This is not always respected : as numerous causulties that occur in trouble spots around the world attest. Thus a pity this protection is not the case in the Ireland of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cue the usual "that camera man was a skanger/ asking for it" guff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The gardai are pretty lightweight in this country. They should have tear gassed the fcuk out of anybody in a track suit and then pistol whipped those bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

100% the fault of the cameraman. Just because you think it's your legal right to do something doesn't mean it's clever.

Also, whether or not an order is generally lawful can be argued later - in the heat of things it's best the follow Garda instructions. They're not (and for very good reason) going to back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They were actually saying 'Quality Street, Caprisun'.

Bunch of hawkers from Moore St., bit further up they were shouting 'Hugo Boss, wrapping paper '.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

His camera got a whack.
    20Cent wrote: »
    The video was taken by an Irish Times journalist he got out of the way in time.

The injured person is an RTE cameraman suppose the big camera on his shoulder meant he was "asking for it.".

There's another video where he gets a pretty hard wallop to the leg, I don't think I can link to it, but it's the whack you hear at 10 seconds in the video in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Augeo wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The gardai are pretty lightweight in this country. They should have tear gassed the fcuk out of anybody in a track suit and then pistol whipped those bitches

Absolutely.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement