Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you use spray-on/plug in smelly stuff?

• 24-08-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭

Anything from expensive perfume to the spray-on deoderant stuff to 'air fresheners'?

Thankfully most people seem to be copping on that being doused in synthetic smell is not as appealing as the ads make it out to be, but there are still people around who must get through a can of this stuff a week.

Group of us on a train on Saturday, when someone in the next block of seats along decided that she needed to refresh with a generous spray of - something. Those of us behind her were treated to a cloud of perfume, which would have been bad enough, but the person immediately behind her was someone who finds synthetic perfumes (chemicals) toxic, and a decent waft of perfume, solvent, or various other chemicals is enough to make her sick for hours or days. So she beat a hasty retreat to the next carriage.

Air fresheners have the same effect. How many people are aware that so called air fresheners do not 'remove' smells, or cover them, they actually affect your sense of smell. They are messing with your body.

There are enough chemicals in our lives without deliberately introducing more.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Jesus wept, AH has really gone into overdrive on the hygiene theme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

looksee wrote: »
    There are enough chemicals in our lives without deliberately introducing more.
    I'd happily eat a heap of chemicals right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I love perfume, can't leave the house in the morning before putting it on. It's like putting on your lipstick or a necklace, the last piece of your outfit.

You definitely lose your sense of smell as you get older though. The bus is either full of auld ones drowned in yardley or auld fellas who don't realise they need a hot shower. That smell of hair grease makes me sick to my stomach.

I hate being in an enclosed space breathing in the smell of people. A play, or a concert, yuk. Lxnx and nicotine fingers and hairspray. Disgusting. I think I am more olfactory than most people though.

The house currently smells of lily of the valley. Yankee candle plug ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I use perfume and roll on deodorant, I wouldn't be crazy about air fresheners, I pick lavender on the way home from work sometimes and leave it in my bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I bought some Deodorant and it says on the can, "Avoid Contact with Eyes"

TOO LATE, I've already seen it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I use roll on deodorant which has a mild fruity scent. I hate perfume and body sprays. So many people are smothered in the stuff - it's sickening and overpowering. I'd say more get it wrong than get it right. Spraying perfume or deodorant in public is truly obnoxious though.

Many air fresheners are horrible too, though I find the plug in ones much more subtle than relying on somebody's judgement as to how much spray is appropriate. I have to say I love Febreeze in the blue bottle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I use those tree air fresheners that you find hanging from the mirrors of most cars, they hang from both my ears and I have plug in deodorant bottles under each arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Quadrature

I just actually clean my house and shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I use spray on deodorant... Not familiar with the plug in type...sounds uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I bottle my sweat in a Windolene bottle, and skoosh myself throughout the day

• Advertisement
Advertisement