Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex PSNI commander in North Belfast quits Caribbean job after upsetting locals

• 24-08-2015 8:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Top cop Amanda Stewart has dramatically quit her job in the Caribbean after just six weeks for upsetting the locals by calling their sunkissed island a “village".
    The former detective superintendent only took up the five year job as Chief of Police on Anguilla on July 10 after retiring from the PSNI with 30 years service under her belt.
    But it was an interview in Sunday Life earlier this month which didn’t go down well with the people of Anguilla who were said to have been “most upset’’ by her comments.
    Mrs Stewart – who was a commander in North and West Belfast in recent years during the Ardoyne riots – later took to Facebook to unreservedly apologise for her remarks claiming she had been “misrepresented’’ in the article.
    However, according to security sources, the apology didn’t resolve her problems with local residents. Mrs Stewart later went on sick leave citing “stress’’ before eventually quitting this week.
    Her dream retirement job in the sun with her ex-cop husband Donald had turned into a nightmare.
    Mrs Stewart resigned on Monday, August 17, in a letter to the island’s governor Christina Scott.
    “The island feels stuck in the 1960s, even the way the people act, and their culture is very respectful. They are lovely, friendly people, you have to say “good morning and good afternoon” to everyone or they think you’re cheeky.”

Stuck in the 1960s? Bit rich for somebody who spent their adult life policing in Northern Ireland.
    · “It’s a village trying to be a country.”

Touché.
    “The island is sort of split in two, there’s the big five star resorts which the Americans mainly come to as it’s deadly expensive to come here from the UK’’.

You would think that she would be used to small islands split in two. Some more of her comments that didn't go down too well with the locals:
    “Ironically, opposition to British rule is practically non-existent compared to the nationalism and violent republicanism in Northern Ireland.
    “I didn’t know what it was going to be like, I knew there had been a bit of an uprising in the 1960s but that was actually to get British rule back. The truth is the people here think the island couldn’t survive without Britain.
    “The Governor Christina Scott basically rules the place, they have their own internal government but I think British rule is accepted and it’s the way it needs to run.
    “The respect people have shown me is wonderful, they say it’s great to see someone bringing the UK ideas here, so I’ve been well accepted.”

http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/former-psni-commander-north-west-9910225

She had a cushy little number in the sun, but due to her attitude and mindset, fcuked it up in just five weeks. That is impressive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Oh dear, to think that somebody so high in the PSNI could have been so closed-minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The natives are restless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

'Is it because I is black'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

Stuck in the 1960s? Bit rich for somebody who spent their adult life policing in Northern Ireland.

Is the North still stuck in the 60's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

God, I initially thought this was satire or something. It would be literally impossible to squeeze any more patronising or colonial statements into that piece. The RUC and their successors have always had a reputation for being close-minded bigots anyway so no surprise there anyway. I'm sure the people of Anguilla deserve better than this eejit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

circadian wrote: »

Nope. But it seems a fair few people that post here are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

circadian wrote: »

1600's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh noes, I gets offended for the Anguillans sake.

The PSNI person is right but being too honest doesn't work any more, you have to be "sensitive".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

biko wrote: »
    Oh noes, I gets offended for the Anguillans sake.

The PSNI person is right but being too honest doesn't work any more, you have to be "sensitive".

If you read the actual interview in the Belfast Telegraph, it's difficult to see what is offensive.

Although flying over the island in a helicopter to locate and subsequently close cannabis plantations may have offended the wrong people.

If you read the actual interview in the Belfast Telegraph, it's difficult to see what is offensive.

Although flying over the island in a helicopter to locate and subsequently close cannabis plantations may have offended the wrong people.

For you Fred, for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So she called it a village....and what's so offensive about that??

Hardly something to resign over surely?
    I mean it wasn't like she called it a sh!thole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was describing it as a village not more of a compliment than an insult? She also said that the people are very polite to each other and you're expected to say good evening etc to people you encounter. That's a 'village' sort of thing isn't it?

I honestly don't see how what she said was that offensive.

She worded it very badly when she said it felt like it was like the 1960's there, but again I don't think she was being offensive. People were generally more community focused and so on back then which is what it sounds like she meant.

Also the island has a population of just over 13,000... so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So because she's ex-PSNI we should all be dancing around laughing at her misfortune or something?

Gotta love the chuckies.

Her comments sound pretty fair to be honest. If the locals took offence to what she said to the point that they hounded her out, then it kind of validates everything she said, and in a bad way.

Was describing it as a village not more of a compliment than an insult? She also said that the people are very polite to each other and you're expected to say good evening etc to people you encounter. That's a 'village' sort of thing isn't it?

She worded it very badly when she said it felt like it was like the 1960's there, but again I don't think she was being offensive. People were generally more community focused and so on back then which is what it sounds like she meant.

Ye can't see how this would wind people up the wrong way?

“The Governor Christina Scott basically rules the place, they have their own internal government but I think British rule is accepted and it’s the way it needs to run.
    “The respect people have shown me is wonderful, they say it’s great to see someone bringing the UK ideas here, so I’ve been well accepted.”
    http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/former-psni-commander-north-west-9910225

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It smacks of the "quaint native" and patronising colonialism, suggesting they were a bunch of eejits who were unable to rule themselves and needed the Brits to do so. I can see why they got the hump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The biggest industry is rum (drinking it), they pay no tax (at all) and the Brits subsidise everything. If I was an Anguillan I'd be doing my best not to upset the police chief in case the Brits fcuked off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I echo your thoughts.

She made a right pigs ear of it though (maybe the way she said it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nodin wrote: »

Were those comments made before or after her resignation? The 'village' remark seems to be what pissed people off

I don't see much wrong with that tbh. If she had said European instead of UK would it be equally outrageous? I can well believe that people would be happy to see a British approach to policing taken in Anguilla, where policing has for a long time been in need of reform.

People seem to be looking at it all from an Irish point of view, which imo is a bit pointless when talking about an island ten times smaller than Louth and 6,000 km away

Were those comments made before or after her resignation? The 'village' remark seems to be what pissed people off
    All in the same interview.
    I don't see much wrong with that tbh. If she had said European instead of UK would it be equally outrageous? I can well believe that people would be happy to see a British approach to policing taken in Anguilla, where policing has for a long time been in need of reform.
    It would, tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Typical PSNI attitude. Just because a place doesn't have Orange lodge it's a backwards village.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not enough flegs and bonfires to make her feel at home in Anguilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Typical PSNI attitude. Just because a place doesn't have Orange lodge it's a backwards village.

it does have an orange lodge:D

FTA69 wrote: »
    It smacks of the "quaint native" and patronising colonialism, suggesting they were a bunch of eejits who were unable to rule themselves and needed the Brits to do so. I can see why they got the hump.

It's patronising, but I don't agree with the quaint natives bit at all.

For you Fred, for you.

One liner from you Nodin?

It would wind you up, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

timthumbni wrote: »
    Nope. But it seems a fair few people that post here are.

Such irony. There are people in the north who have difficulty with it not being 1690 never mind 1960, this 'the-Earth-is-6000-years-old' bigot for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My Granny was standing outside the door at Eaglesham Street flats after an old firm match years ago. She eyes two fellas converging on her from opposite directions, well worse for wear. 'Fcuk King Billy' shouts one. 'Fcuk the Pope' says the other. 'Fcuk the two of yis', says she catching the two with one swing of the brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

It would wind you up, for sure.

Yeah, it's only when people say anything critical about Britain that would wind you up. Seriously, not even slagging, that's the role a good portion of your posts fulfill on here so it's lacking a bit of empathy to not see why this would annoy the people of the village island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Breaking News: Former member of the Gestapo RUC PSNI offends somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

fryup wrote: »
    So she called it a village....and what's so offensive about that??

Hardly something to resign over surely?
    I mean it wasn't like she called it a sh!thole

Sure some damn yank asked me for directions to Kilkenny town. Town FFS! "Kilkenny is a city you fool" I explained to him, a thriving metropolis. Some people are so patronizing.....

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Yeah, it's only when people say anything critical about Britain that would wind you up. Seriously, not even slagging, that's the role a good portion of your posts fulfill on here so it's lacking a bit of empathy to not see why this would annoy the people of the village island.

Oh oh, you called it a village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

it does have an orange lodge:D

Really? What's the Orange Order doing out in that mad place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

But I was ever so nice to them, I even let them bring me my tea.

I suppose that seeing as she found herself out in the "colonies" in a quaint "village" it's lucky she didn't decide to burn the whole place down to remind the natives whose writ still runs there.

Advertisement