Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair transplants. Blackrock Clinic Vs DMI Vs surgeons outside Ireland Vs other option

• 16-06-2015 4:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Id imagine, like a few on here, the male pattern baldness is starting to get to me and I was wondering who have used what on here and how did it go for you?

Blackrock Clinic: www.hrbr.ie

Perhaps the best known one in Ireland? They certainly did a great job on Louie Walsh but I wont be spending 30 grand with them for those kind of results ;)

DHI: www.dhi.ie

In Ireland Im leaning towards these based on price compared to Blackrock. From some research so far it looks like they are at least half the price.

Surgeons outside Ireland: There's apparently a surgeon in Spain doing work for 10k that would cost 30k here. Anyone? I need to research this more.

Other option: Anywhere else/any other hair loss solutions you've found to have worked?

Not interested in wig solutions like Northwest Lace or Toplace as they dont always look great and it is still a wig regardless if it does.

Not interested in Rogaine as the list of side effects it has is ridiculous and needs monthly top ups.

And not interested in hairloss drugs either such as Propecia because their side effects potential are downright scary. How they are still given out willy nilly is surprising. I dont think we're allowed talk about them here anyway which is good.

So gentlmen, your feedback on the above? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I used Gillette, the best a man can get! Just shave it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Don't do it man. It always looks ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Buy a Flatcap

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What you should do is get breast enlargement surgery, your amble breasts will take away the attention from your hairline. Cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

I love how they try to infer low self esteem on you with the adverts :)

"Going Bald? Feeling like a Loser?"

Just get a buzz cut and shave it off.

I went thin on top aged 19. Was in denial for a few years and just did the above.

I think I would look ridiculous with a thick head of hair now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

smash wrote: »
    Don't do it man. It always looks ridiculous!

Not always. Years ago yes, they definitely did. But Louie Walsh's looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Gerry Rio wrote: »
    Not always. Years ago yes, they definitely did. But Louie Walsh's looks excellent.

Now I know you're trolling!!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I remember seeing some amazing videos on YouTube and pictures of some Turkish surgeon who's supposed to be one of the best in the world, some of his results were honestly insanely well done

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

accept it gracefully and you will be a lot happier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He looks like Tin Tins grandfather.

If it does go wrong it will look far worse than a shaven head, so even if offered free I would not take it up, also all surgery carries a risk. This is completely unneccesary for most men, I could imagine some women losing hair could well have more understandable pscychological reasons to do it, but there are still wigs.

I almost feel sorry for auld lads with full heads of hair or no grey hair nowadays -as I guess people might consider them vain thinking they have had work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Have you tried, you know, not being bald?

I remember seeing some amazing videos on YouTube and pictures of some Turkish surgeon who's supposed to be one of the best in the world, some of his results were honestly insanely well done

Does Dr Erdogan or Dr Doganay ring any bells in relation to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Watching the Ireland v England friendly match the other week, Rooneys hair looks like a hat, ridiculously unnatural looking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Be a trailblazer and bring the comb over back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Go for that hair transplant. It looks great on some :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Hair transplant technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Anto Stokes is a good example.

Before:

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article1849871.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Anthony-Stokes.jpg

After:

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article4969163.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Anthony-Stockes-tweets-new-hair.jpg

Go for it OP if you want. Some people just don't feel comfortable going bald.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Hair transplant technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Anto Stokes is a good example.

Before:

http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article1849871.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Anthony-Stokes.jpg

After:

http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article4969163.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Anthony-Stockes-tweets-new-hair.jpg

Go for it OP if you want. Some people just don't feel comfortable going bald.

Thanks. I might get another 3-5 years out of it before I look like him in the first pic and by then technology will be even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Thanks. I might get another 3-5 years out of it before I look like him in the first pic and by then technology will be even better.

Exactly, and by that time the treatment may be more normalised and affordable. Society is only beginning to embrace it.

Pedro K wrote: »
    Now I know you're trolling!!!! :p

It does though compared to what it was. Not sure it was worth 50 grand and given how much publicity he gave to the clinic that did it I doubt he payed a single penny of it.

On the contary he almost definitely made money out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

anncoates wrote: »
    Be a trailblazer and bring the comb over back.

FalconGirl wrote: »

Looks to me like they just stuck on that foam that covers microphones! It just doesn't look natural imo.

I'm afraid most of my hair is a distant memory. They'd have to find a machine to measure how little I care. Though I guess very singular factors can affect the issue greatly, if I was single for example, or if I was one of those "determined to make new friends" types...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

http://www.hakandoganayfue.com/

Looks to me like they just stuck on that foam that covers microphones! It just doesn't look natural imo.

Looks great to me. Natural too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Rub chicken sh1t on your head twice daily.

very singular factors can affect the issue greatly, if I was single for example, or if I was one of those "determined to make new friends" types...

Being single I can understand as some women simply need hair on a man's head. But what has making new friends got to do with it?

Being single I can understand as some women simply need hair on a man's head. But what has making new friends got to do with it?

I should maybe have put that better, you know the "I'm new in such and such a town, what clubs should I join to make new friends" posts, it just seems to me that one may understandably be more conscious about their looks and appearance in certain situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

I think that's the OP's pont.

Mesrine65 wrote: »

He is apparently the best Turkish surgeon in the world and his rates per hair are about a fifth of that of those in Ireland. But he's still Turkish and I hate saying this but they're an untrustworthy nation at the best of times.

At least if something goes a bit wrong with one in Ireland you can go back and have it looked at easily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Head to your nearest tattoo parlour and get some rabbits done.

From a distance they'll look just like hares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Tech 7 some pubic hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Head to your nearest tattoo parlour and get some rabbits done.

From a distance they'll look just like hares.

Or get the hares done and get a grey hound done to chase them towards the front of your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Even with a transplant, you will told to use the drugs after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If I had the cash I'd go to hrbr. Definitely seem to have the best record of all.

I've probably got 10 years left in me before I have to mach 3 it, but in the meantime - come on tonight's euromillions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Skullet is the only dignified option. Zero sarcasm here. Did you see Patrick Stewart in Dune? That's the **** right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's an attitude thing, OP.

Don't think of it as losing hair, think of it as growing a forehead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Definitely go to the hair restoration network forums

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/

Could have changed but I remember opinions of any Irish facility were pretty low including Blackrock.

Closest one they recommended was Dr Bessam Farjo in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Even with a transplant, you will told to use the drugs after it.

This. They will do a transplant based on you keeping the hair you have at the time or it will be many visits to them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I love how this defies all logical permutation. Like a modern Zen Koan.

Reminds me of the transgender thread - I'm actually a hairy guy trapped in a bald guys body.

Does Dr Erdogan or Dr Doganay ring any bells in relation to this?

I don't know. But I did think a bit more and I think I remember he operated out of Spain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I love how this defies all logical permutation. Like a modern Zen Koan.

Like Nicolas Cage's hair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

rubadub wrote: »
    This is completely unneccesary for most men, I could imagine some women losing hair could well have more understandable pscychological reasons to do it, but there are still wigs.
    I dunno, every time this baldness thing comes up it's guaranteed to be "shave it all off" as advice. And that's cool, but it can age many men overnight and a lot of men simply can't pull off the chrome dome look. They may feel they got the Sean Connery/Jasan Statham/Patrick Steward goin on, but they can be more dodgy potato with ears. Some skull shapes just look odd. Dudes of African extraction are the outliers in this. They win the lottery in skull shapes.

The other aspect may be frivolous, but it impacts the whole fashion thing too. Bald means pretty much one "look", not a lot of options going on.

Though one advantage if you go bald very young like around 20 and take a razor to it, the decades will pass with you staying remarkably similar in looks. With blokes having more collagen and thicker skin, we usually age in appearance more slowly than women, so long as we eat well, don't smoke or drink to excess, or we're not tanning ourselves mahogany(unless you're mahogany to start with. African dudes win here too, the bastids). The aforementioned Paddy Stewart is in his 70's IIRC and he looks remarkably similar to how he looked decades ago. I knew a guy who went bald and I mean ring around the back of his head above the ears bald by 18. Yea. Went from a full head of actually thick hair at 16 to almost nothing within a couple of years. Mad fast and he was very troubled by it, but tried to cover up that upset. That said the last time I bumped into him he would have been 40 odd and looked ten years younger, so...

Just my take, but although going cue ball at 20 must be a real heart scald for many men, going bald at 30 I reckon might be harder.

Judging by the amount of forums and spam and lotions and surgery etc out there it does affect many men very deeply. If it does and you can afford treatment to make you feel better I say go for it.
    I almost feel sorry for auld lads with full heads of hair or no grey hair nowadays -as I guess people might consider them vain thinking they have had work done.
    One of my great uncles had a full head of hair and jet black with it(with some grey at the temples) until the day he died at 90 something. This was in the days before the transplant stuff and he did look odd I have to say. Even more odd, his beard was also dark for the most part. He was constantly accused in whispers of dyeing his hair, but nope, it was just the way he was. His beard/stubble hair proved it. That's mad rare mind you. Red hair doesn't appear to be particularly strong, either falling out or going grey early. When I was in my twenties I had a mix of black and red hairs, but mostly black. I got accused of hitting the old clairol myself. :D The red fellas went grey early on and started to changeover to old guy by my mid 30's. They also thinned out too. It was only in my early forties the black lads decided to join the party. This was even more noticeable in my beard hair, which was more ginge to start with. Though body hair wise, whether ginge or dark have stayed the same. Though a certain *ahem* area grew a streak of grey, like a Mills and Boon cover hero. Very dashing. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I don't know. But I did think a bit more and I think I remember he operated out of Spain

Which of them? There's two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Mine is on it's way out, promised the OH that I'd have a reasonable thicket up top until my 40th, after that I told her i don't know how long I'll hold out.

The more shorn look is fine so long as you get in shape. Baldy and portly is not a good combo. Hit the gym and lose the belly. Does wonders for your confidence, to be honest if you'll thinning out above the tree line you're at the age when you need more gym time and less pub time anyway.

Seriously, let it be. Shape up and cut it short.

Baldy and portly is not a good combo.

I think you're missing the point some of us have made. For some of us going bald and any shape isnt a good look.

Baldy and portly is not a good combo.

I think you're missing the point some of us have made. For some of us going bald and any shape isnt a good look.

He is but still, being bald and ripped with a healthy light tan and good skin tone with nice teeth would definitely be better than the usual bald head and beer belly Irish men fall lazily into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

As I said on another thread.

When it comes to disclosing Propecia's side effects HRBR seem to be economical with the truth.

Compare what Dr Maurice Collins of HRBR has to say about Propecia's side effects to what Dr Andrew Rynne has to say.

Dr Andrew Rynne has also publicly stated that he is "ashamed" to have Dr Maurice Collins as his colleague.

Here Dr Rynne calls Propecia (Finasteride) a "dangerous toxic medication".

[/QUOTE]

He is but still, being bald and ripped with a healthy light tan and good skin tone with nice teeth would definitely be better than the usual bald head and beer belly Irish men fall lazily into.

My point is that being in good condition, light tan etc and having some hair would be better.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    As I said on another thread.

When it comes to disclosing Propecia's side effects HRBR seem to be economical with the truth.

Compare what Dr Maurice Collins of HRBR has to say about Propecia's side effects to what Dr Andrew Rynne has to say.

Dr Andrew Rynne has also publicly stated that he is "ashamed" to have Dr Maurice Collins as his colleague.

Here Dr Rynne calls Propecia (Finasteride) a "dangerous toxic medication".

[/quote]

Yeah, I actually advised someone on here before to go on propecia and there were a few posters quickly jumping in to advise against it and now I'd be one of them. If someone wants to take the chance of using the medication then all the best, but I hope they'd make sure they're fully aware of the possible permanent side effects of it. A user on another forum I use recently posted an extremely depressing thread about his side effects. He's in his late 20s and talked about how he was on the drug for just a few months before finally stopping. The first few months were fine and had no side effects but then he said his libido completely crashed so he stopped taking it. Over 8 years later he said he's not been able to achieve a full erection and has very bad brain fog and can't concentrate on anything for long periods of time. He also talked about how he's been to countless specialists, tried countless methods of curing himself and gotten nowhere and has started considering suicide as his only way out because he said he knows of a lot of cases similar to his that ended with the men killing themselves. Absolutely dreadful stuff for the unlucky few that suffer this badly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement