Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road rage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

I beeped at a car last week that flew up the bus lane. Turned out it was an unmarked garda car and he got out to give me an earful...I thought I was well within my rights for beepin at a car using a bus lane?
    Was too in shock to have argued the point there and then with him

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

I beeped at a car last week that flew up the bus lane. Turned out it was an unmarked garda car and he got out to give me an earful...I thought I was well within my rights for beepin at a car using a bus lane?

It's not your job to enforce the laws.......nothing to see here...move along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

With all due respect, the chances of dna testing over a road rage incident that didnt involve a collision or injury would be zero.

The other driver assaulted another.

He and the passenger are not a pair others would want to come across.

I would keep on top of the guard.

I had an incident no spitting but was followed by 2 woman and verbally abused also told they would have my job and have me arrested.

Now in my situation the Gardai followed it up and the 2 woman received a fine.

So was a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

was it an emergency? if not then you have no reason, or right, to sound your horn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I used to get quite worked up on two wheels. Now that I'm in a car the whole experience is less death defying and I very rarely get excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The other driver assaulted another.

He and the passenger are not a pair others would want to come across.

I would keep on top of the guard.

I had an incident no spitting but was followed by 2 woman and verbally abused also told they would have my job and have me arrested.

Now in my situation the Gardai followed it up and the 2 woman received a fine.

So was a good result.

Myself and an off-duty garda who is a friend of mine, were in the Temple Bar one night when a couple of guriers tried to raise a row with him, in the end one of them turned and spat at him, landing on the side of his face. They got the land of their life when he produced the garda badge. My friend rang the local gardai who arrived and took the two guys away in the squad car. They were held for a few hours then released without charge after apologising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

was it an emergency? if not then you have no reason, or right, to sound your horn.

High horse brigade have arrived :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    High horse brigade have arrived :rolleyes:

yeah i hate those people that obey the rules of the road, dont you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Now and again I get road rage caused by one particular thing. You're driving along a dual carriageway / motorway late at night. I'm always in the left lane / "slow" lane, watchful of the speed and usually have cruise control on. Typically, I'm doing 100kph (maybe 120 on a motorway) and there's hardly any traffic around. Then I see it. Way off behind me, comes the glare of a tosser with the full beams on and they're getting closer at one hell of lick. Closer. And closer. I just know what's coming next. Yep, they drive right up my arse, overtake, and then pull in about two car lengths in front of me and hit the brakes. :mad:DIE IN HELL.:mad:

To counteract road rage around the city, I'm trying the "pay it forward" philosophy and much to my surprise... it works. I'll let someone out into traffic when I can, give someone the lights to cross in front of me, I even give buses the lights to pull out and give the wave back to the driver who always put their hand out to say thanks. I know! Then, when someone does the same for me, I acknowledge with a wave, flash of the lights or a quick blink of the hazards. I'm just trying it calm it down and for the most part, I find it a lot less stressful. I also have given up being an amateur traffic cop. If someone wants to be an ignorant gobsheen, have at it. I also keep this video in mind because you just never know what's coming down the road. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Jesus, spit in the face. What a scumbag. What happened with the car on the left who motioned you to pull in? Did you speak to the driver at all. Maybe they'll give a statement for you.

they moved on as traffic was slow but heavey , I did provide a reg number visible in the image of another car behind him he should have seen him leave his car and return and the gard said " Agh sure they probably wont give evidence as no one wants to miss work with court appearances"

@dbit... to be honest, the gardai will do nothing here. As for being reported for dangerous driving, I wouldnt worry about it.. it wont go any further as the low life will have the burden of proof, of which he has none. Only reason you were reported is because he saw you taking photos and he is attempting to pre-empt any action you may be taking against him. As hard and all as it may seem, just forget about it.

Spitting isnt exactly assault.. its in same catagory as verbal abuse. The amount paperwork a garda would have to do wouldnt be worth the efforts here.

Wrong its a section 2 , i hear you and i really do wnat to let it go only the spitting then driving off and lying is just sickening to let that type of person away with it to do it again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Rubbish.

No one can tell you how it will go, but think the DNA testing a little unlikely.

Much will depend on the weight of evidence, so far it seems like 2 of them v 1 of you. Of course their story may fall apart when tested. I don't think the Gardai will trawl other car owners on the off chance they may have spotted something as they whizzed by, the one you should focus on is the fellow who was on your left and who saw it. As an independent witness, they could make all the difference.

Tracing car owners can be difficult, sometimes the address on the ownership information is not updated etc.

Yes i hear you thanks for the response , The left lane inside of us was moving at about 1-2mph the whole time as our outside lane is forced to merg with left. S i dont think anyone was whizzing by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

cruais wrote: »
    Definition of roadrage: Dublin Bus drivers.

I lightly beeped a dublin bus driver for cutting me off. When the lights went red, he left his bus to walk to my car, and shout at me. He f'd and blinded at me.

When i pointed out how much of a gentlemen he was, for shouting at an obviously pregnant woman, he once again told me to f off while making a **** gesture at me.

Que 'Bus Wanker' Jokes.

Dublin Bus drivers= scum of the earth. It is known.

bronn wrote: »
    Now and again I get road rage caused by one particular thing. You're driving along a dual carriageway / motorway late at night. I'm always in the left lane / "slow" lane, watchful of the speed and usually have cruise control on. Typically, I'm doing 100kph (maybe 120 on a motorway) and there's hardly any traffic around. Then I see it. Way off behind me, comes the glare of a tosser with the full beams on and they're getting closer at one hell of lick. Closer. And closer. I just know what's coming next. Yep, they drive right up my arse, overtake, and then pull in about two car lengths in front of me and hit the brakes. :mad:DIE IN HELL.:mad:

To counteract road rage around the city, I'm trying the "pay it forward" philosophy and much to my surprise... it works. I'll let someone out into traffic when I can, give someone the lights to cross in front of me, I even give buses the lights to pull out and give the wave back to the driver who always put their hand out to say thanks. I know! Then, when someone does the same for me, I acknowledge with a wave, flash of the lights or a quick blink of the hazards. I'm just trying it calm it down and for the most part, I find it a lot less stressful. I also have given up being an amateur traffic cop. If someone wants to be an ignorant gobsheen, have at it. I also keep this video in mind because you just never know what's coming down the road. :pac:

I also am an avid fan of paying it forward , would you believe an hour after i left the spot after talking with gards , in teh middle of the next village , (Being local i know how hard it is to get out of the dunnes car park) I stop to let traffic out and who do i let out only the dastardly couple in teh civic, She throws hands to her mouth in true OMG fashion then they head out in front of me. I then pulled off road on another lane way so they dont alledge i tried to follow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A car horn is defined as "an audible warning of approach" and should be used only to alert seemingly-unaware road users of your presence.

It is not an instrument for communicating your annoyance.

blastman wrote: »
    Rubbish.

from the Rules of the Road:
    Using a horn
    Only use a horn to:
    warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably
    necessary.
    Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way.
    Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless there is a traffic emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

dbit wrote: »
    I also am an avid fan of paying it forward , would you believe an hour after i left the spot after talking with gards , in teh middle of the next village , (Being local i know how hard it is to get out of the dunnes car park) I stop to let traffic out and who do i let out only the dastardly couple in teh civic, She throws hands to her mouth in true OMG fashion then they head out in front of me. I then pulled off road on another lane way so they dont alledge i tried to follow .

You should've hunted them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I drive a ****eOlCorsa that I really don't care about so tend to win when someone is trying to create a space in front of me when a space doesn't exist.

Whatever happened to indicating first and then manoeuvring?

Of course, having a truck air horn has advantages too :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had a stange incident last night, was pulling out onto a main road but some council bins made it hard to see who was coming.
    Looked clear and I was about to inch away when a blue civic came up from the right. Was going a little fast, probably 40 in a busy street that the limit is 30. So I commented saying "he's going a little too fast". Turns out it was a 60 year old woman, with her (I presume) husband in the passenger, wagging his finger at me like I was a child.

Next set of traffic lights we're alongside each other and he won't look at me. Quick tap on the window to get his attention and then wagged my finger back at him. He went mental in the car, while his wife just laughed at him.
    Not sure why he thought I was in the wrong in the first place, don't think he's used to being put back in his place.

• Advertisement

petrolcan wrote: »

and mount their heads on your bonnet as a warning to others.

Wrong its a section 2 , i hear you and i really do wnat to let it go only the spitting then driving off and lying is just sickening to let that type of person away with it to do it again .

Do you know any gardai that you could ask off the record, and see what they think? If you dont know any, I will find out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I don't reallty get it too much unless something really really stupid occurs.

What's the point? Some people shouldn't have a licence/have no awareness and are more interested in doing make up/texting/being on the phone than driving.

People are idiots , in life , in work , in bars , in cars...it's just another form for them to be dangerous.

I'd rather focus on my own driving and avoiding accidents due to other peoples negligence than getting myself worked up into a stuper because of them.

Time spent on two wheels both opened my eyes to exactly how dangerous people driving are and gave me patience to deal with them.

' Look at the car ahead of you and think what's the stupidist thing they could do right now? Now expect them to do exactly that' - First thing my bike instructor ever said to me, brilliant advise...he was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Ah just the once..
    In a criminal lawsuit filed on February 8, 1994, Robert Blank stated that Nicholson, then 56, approached Blank's Mercedes-Benz while he was stopped at a red light in North Hollywood. After accusing the other man of cutting him off in traffic, Nicholson used a golf club to bash the roof and windshield of Blank's car. A witness confirmed Blank's account of the incident, and misdemeanor charges of assault and vandalism were filed against Nicholson. Charges were dropped after Nicholson apologized to Blank and the two reached an undisclosed settlement, which included a reported $500,000 check from Nicholson.

Nicholson later expressed regret about the incident in an interview with Us Magazine, calling it "a shameful incident in my life." He explained that a close friend had recently died, and that he had also been under a good deal of stress during the shooting of his most recent movie, The Crossing Guard. According to Nicholson, he went "out of [his] mind" after being cut off and snatched one of his golf clubs from the trunk of his car. Though press reports of the incident variously reported that the club in question had been a three- or a five-iron, Nicholson (who started golfing seriously after learning the game for the filming of 1990's The Two Jakes) cleared up the issue in a 2007 interview with Golf Digest. "I was on my way to the course, and in the midst of this madness I somehow knew what I was doing," he says, "because I reached into my trunk and specifically selected a club I never used on the course: my two-iron."

petrolcan wrote: »

To do what though ? I could be done for following , plus i had alerted them to the fact it was ME AGAIN ! lolz. they have submitted a statement some 40 mins down the road in another station and didnt use the abundance of technology they had in theyre hands at that time to take pictures of me - to call the gards lols , theyre story will be full of holes of that at least i am confident.

Do you know any gardai that you could ask off the record, and see what they think? If you dont know any, I will find out for you.

The GF's dad is an ex sargent lolz. But in diff part of the country.

To do what though ? I could be done for following , plus i had alerted them to the fact it was ME AGAIN ! lolz. they have submitted a statement some 40 mins down the road in another station and didnt use the abundance of technology they had in theyre hands at that time to take pictures of me - to call the gards lols , theyre story will be full of holes of that at least i am confident.

You may be able to get a copy of their statement. Ask for it anyway.

It's a bit of a grey area, you would never have obtained it before mid investigation. But I know some say the right exists to procure it under EU disclosure rules.

Wrong its a section 2
    section 2 what?

I mean OK I probably wouldn't researched that law anyway, but it kinda annoys me when people say stuff like this. That's a section 5! Hey did you see what that guy did on the roundabout? Section 4 right there. Really you might as well exclaim that it's Operation Hot Water Bottle for all the clarity it offers.

Where's that trivial annoyances thread when it's needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Irishcrx wrote: »
    'Look at the car ahead of you and think what's the stupidist thing they could do right now? Now expect them to do exactly that' - First thing my bike instructor ever said to me, brilliant advise...he was right.

Spot on advice. You're always more aware of what's going on when you're on a bike because you have to be. :)

section 2 what?

I mean OK I probably wouldn't researched that law anyway, but it kinda annoys me when people say stuff like this. That's a section 5! Hey did you see what that guy did on the roundabout? Section 4 right there. Really you might as well exclaim that it's Operation Hot Water Bottle for all the clarity it offers.

Where's that trivial annoyances thread when it's needed...

LMGTFY http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0026/sec0002.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

road rage aussie style......

Well lads , ill drop this little ditty here to see if i can get any comfort or advice.

Last Friday While entering a dual carrigway road via a slip road , I notice a blue civic very close behind me , As i drive along I wait for the traffic island to finish so that i can move right onto the main road , As i do this i notice the blue civic cut the island and dart for the over take lane behind me . I am still progressing into the overtake lane as the left lane has busy queueing traffic. As i complete the maneuver into the over take lane this guy is now up my hole lights flashing and his missus givin me the finger in the rear view. we continue along for about 2 miles with him up my ass and finger flipping me the whole way. The traffic then merges into one lane and in this spot often comes to a complete stop . I then see this nutter running from his car to mine , he gets to my window calls me every kind of name imagineable and then spits in my face. ( I wipe the spit from my face with my jumper sleeve) Car to my left sees what has happend and points me in to pull in , so i did . I got out of may car to go take a pic of the reg and then re-enter my car and call gardai. The Blue civic then pulls infront of me and they get out and hurl abuse at me while on the phone to 999. While i am reporting the incident , they then get in the car and drive off ( Also stated this on the 999 call) . Cops arrive and take my story . For three days they cannot contact the owner. I gave my statement yesterday ( Sunday) and then i get a call to say they drove to the next town and reported me for dangerous driving ????????

I was not able to take picture of them at the front of my car when they pulled in as i was on the phone to An garda Siochana ? They have said that they saw me dangerous driving and drove on to next town to report me and that they did not get out of the car or stop . ( Two pics i took clearly show them stopped and traffic moving on left of them - ie each pic has them in the same spot and diff cars on the left in each image , thus showing them stopped and cars moving on the left of them.)

Will An Garda use my jumper for the DNA evidence to prove this man did actually stop get out and spit on me ? I feel now that i do not have enough evidence and that Garda will not use the sleeve for the evidence ? IS there any way to force this to be checked ? as its my only way to prove what the driver did ?

I did give other registrations of cars in the pics to the gards but im being told by the gard "Ye ye they probably will not go as witness as they dont want to miss work to give evidence" ? The cop also made a haims of tracing down the owner and for three days told me i was the only person complaining then on sunday he tells me no no i got it wrong , I was checking the wrong owner ??? im like WTF something is up here . This cop even tried to dis courage me from pressing ahead road side when logging the incident .

just curious, how did you get on since?

just curious, how did you get on since?

Im not hearing much back from the gaurds , I will be asking for the sargent in charge on the day as well as who ever was Super intendant. Just bought a dash cam front and rear , Ill not be left like that again i can assure you that.

Cops dont seem to be doing much and none of it adds up , road side cop tried to discourage me and tell me that a complaint went in about me , then he calls me up an hour later and says no no your the only driver with a complaint, Then 3 days later i give my statement and Boom the other party miraculously has a complaint in about me -- Again .!,? .

I kept all my evidence and gave surrounding cars lic plate numbers so hopefully the little scumbag will be done for what he did, provided someone speaks up and gives evidence that he got out of his car and approached my window , road rage right there , the syliva is on my top only i dont know will they take it and have it checked for his DNA.

Advertisement