Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

i just started reading The catcher In The Rye last night. Pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

The ice man. Great book if you like books on mob/hitmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

wilksni wrote: »
    Iain M Banks - consider phlebas

id like to start reading him.any thoughts on which one would be a good one to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wilksni

crazygeryy wrote: »
    id like to start reading him.any thoughts on which one would be a good one to start with?

If you want to start with his Sci-fi stuff, start with "consider phlebas". Its the first of the culture novels and a great read. The next one after that is "player of games" but generally each can be read independent of each other. "The Algebraist" is my favourite novel of his.

Of banks non sci-fiction stuff i highly recommend "The Wasp Factory" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Eat's, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    The ice man. Great book if you like books on mob/hitmen
    I've read that one, and one or two others by Philip Carlo. The Iceman certainly is a good read.

I'm currently re-reading "This is Christy Dignam". A very candid account of his life and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'm reading the phone book at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lads i no tis isnt relevant to the subject here bu im stuck how can one post a thread???/

Trying to advertise your latest crap book?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just curious, has anyone read the 'Damned United'?

Haven't read the book, but I did think the movie was one of the best footie movies ever along with The Miracle of Berne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

crazygeryy wrote: »

Consider Phlebas is the first in the Culture series, that was the first one I read and it blew me away.
    boblong wrote: »
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.

Demian is also very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

The Savage City by T.J. English

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Oscar the grouch

just finished book two of The albion Trilogy by Stephen Lawhead absolute class,book three here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sean Lemass, Democratic Dictator, by Bryce Evans.

Love a bit of history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Kojak wrote: »
    I'm reading the phone book at the moment....

that rings a bell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

I am Legend by Richard Matheson.

You will never watch the film again.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

A song of ice and fire, part of the game of thrones series. A great read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Aldebaran wrote: »
    A Clash of Kings, about 100 pages to go.

The four books so far are great, I'm reading Feast for Crows now, read the first 3 straight through, kept me awake til 3, and all I keep saying is, one more page, one more page!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Finished reading Brave New World last week,always been meaning to read it and glad I did.An amazing book for it's time.Forget 1984,the themes in this book have a more realistic approach to were we're heading if certain trends continue to unravel in society.

Also going to re read The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.Another book I'd highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just started reading Room by Emma Donoghue last night. Has anyone read it? It was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize in 2010. Seems very eerie so far, a bit Fritzl-esque. It's written from the point of view of a 5-year-old so is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just started reading Room by Emma Donoghue last night. Has anyone read it? It was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize in 2010. Seems very eerie so far, a bit Fritzl-esque. It's written from the point of view of a 5-year-old so is a bit strange.

So it's just a book full of 3-4 lettered, one syllable words :pac:

I am 'reading' Ian Rush's autobiography at the minute tho not picked it up for 2 weeks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I read it but on a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate it 6. Overall a little disappointing especially for a book shortlisted for the Booker.

Tedious at parts but with some horrifying moments. I would be inclined to agree with the broader criticism of it's lack of originality, ie events closely resembling the 'Fritzl' case.

Book was probably overhyped especially here in Irl.

Colum McCann's 'Let the great world spin' is a wonderful and original book, despite it's close connection to actual events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just finished "World War Z"... a decent book by all accounts - very well written & imaginative. The ending wasn't brilliant though - it was more of a petering out than a finale.

Started on Phillipe Auclairs biography of Eric Cantona - excellent read so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

George Pelecanos - The Cut

Bit disappointed tbh. The days of Nick Stefanos & Dimitri Karras seem far far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Just finished a farewell to arms now started the great gatsby:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Just finished a farewell to arms now started the great gatsby:D
    ewww

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Currently reading Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist. Having heard so much about Magician, I finally got round to picking it up a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the storyline but not completely sold on his style of writing. Though so far I've found Silverthorn much more engrossing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

"Eisenhorn" (Warhammer 40k novel) - Dan Abnett
    "The Fall of Hyperion" - Dan Simmons
    "Meditations" - Marcus Aurelius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Just barely managed to finish 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Hemingway. Awful boring, tedious book full of waffely rambling dressed up as literature. Out of all the classic authors Hemingway is a consistent let down. I have yet to find a book of his I enjoy but feel that I must be missing something somehow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement