Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Argos] MSI Wind U135 Windows XP 7Hour Netbook [Was: €299.99] [Now: €179.99]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

does any stores have them in stock ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Yeah I cant find any stock... seems to be like this for most of argos clearance products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Over 5 left of the pink in Mahon Point Cork, so they are around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Dec4

There's a better chance of picking the 7 winning Lotto numbers than finding these in stock...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Well that is the pink one though ... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I have a white one on reserve for collection by close of business tomorrow in city centre, I've changed my mind and won't be collecting it, if anyone wants it send me a PM. While I was reserving it was possible to order the pink one from several stores (I tried Blanchardstown and both stores are letting me order for collection from Wednesday onwards)

The reservation is gone now: Twilightning sent me a PM and I sent it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Great price for one, but after using a Netbook for about a year and a half you get sick of the small screen and the low performance. But cant beat them for portability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Nice - managed to reserve last white one in Mahon Point. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I managed to get a reservation for a pink one in Swords before I sent that PM since I was afraid someone would PM faster than me! If anyone wants it I'll PM it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

There are 4 pink ones left in Argos Extra in Limerick and 1 pink one left in the Crescent in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

1 left in Letterkenny too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Guys I have a reserve code for a white one in Galway today im not going to use.

First to reply to this on thread will get it. I will ignore all PMs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Guys I have a reserve code for a white one in Galway today im not going to use.

First to reply to this on thread will get it. I will ignore all PMs!

Me please, you're great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kefa

Just four pink ones left in Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to note.. a few quirks.

Some models have soldered RAM. Check your upgrade options before buying.

This has no hatches for RAM or HD access, you more or less have to dismantle\remove the entire bottom, it is messy.

No mention of battery capacity, this particular model has high and low capacity batteries shipped with it, typically, the low capacity battery is lumped on users on the UK market. (typical!)

I mooched on the forums, hard to tell if you can boot from the SD card slot or not.. very odd if you can't. Important if you want to launch image recovery\Linux\misc. software from an SD card slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just to note.. a few quirks.

Some models have soldered RAM. Check your upgrade options before buying.

This has no hatches for RAM or HD access, you more or less have to dismantle\remove the entire bottom, it is messy.

No mention of battery capacity, this particular model has high and low capacity batteries shipped with it, typically, the low capacity battery is lumped on users on the UK market. (typical!)

I mooched on the forums, hard to tell if you can boot from the SD card slot or not.. very odd if you can't. Important if you want to launch image recovery\Linux\misc. software from an SD card slot.

This is an upgraded version of the original MSI Wind. Its pretty good for a Netbook. The model in Argos has the high capacity battery. You can boot from USB or from an external DVD Drive. A full set of Windows 7, x32 bit, drivers are available. (It runs better on W7 than on XP.) A full image recovery is included on the hardisk.

According to the specs there is a free slot for an extra 1Gbyte of RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know how to set up a wireless connection on this netbook I cannot connect to my wireless network please help

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know how to set up a wireless connection on this netbook I cannot connect to my wireless network please help
    It should connect automatically. If not click on the connection bars on the taskbar. (Looks like 5 steps.) That should show you the networks in range. If there aren't any, check that wireless is turned off. Fn key + F11 toggles wireless on and off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Thanks a million newhillel you were on the ball that is a big weight off my mind

No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

NewHillel wrote: »
    This is an upgraded version of the original MSI Wind. Its pretty good for a Netbook. The model in Argos has the high capacity battery. You can boot from USB or from an external DVD Drive. A full set of Windows 7, x32 bit, drivers are available. (It runs better on W7 than on XP.) A full image recovery is included on the hardisk.

According to the specs there is a free slot for an extra 1Gbyte of RAM.

I'm aware of what it is, nothing that I stated is incorrect. This model has at least 3 variants and a user should be aware of that. It is worth stating that there is no hatch access.

MSI have a history of shipping low capacity batteries to the UK, as U100 users would know..

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

Just bought the netbook yesterday and I must say it's working beautiful. Screen quality is very good, set-up was simple, batteries lasting very well, it's nice and light on your lap so no complaints yet.

I love a true bargain :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Been using mine all night and it really was a great bargain for the price. I wasn't expecting it to ship with Realtek HD Audio and since I already have that on my desktop I was pleasantly surprised at the audio quality too. Battery life's also great. I take the bus to Cork regularly from Dublin and it's 4 hours so this'll make the trip a lot more bearable to say the least!

Great find! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Very tempted but theres only pink left in Cork :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I bought this yesterday in Wexford.

I quite like it except for I only have a 60 trial for Microsoft office 7. I had assumed that it would have been installed already.

Does this mean that I am now going to have to shell out E100 for MS office? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

not if you know a student or secondary school student. I got office 2007 for €50, every package of it.

www.software4students.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I quite like it except for I only have a 60 trial for Microsoft office 7

At that price you weren't really expecting it to come with Office, were you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

okidoki987 wrote: »

At that price you weren't really expecting it to come with Office, were you?

It truthfully never occurred to me. Ive never bought a laptop/desktop or netbook before. I've always had a work computer. I only bought one now as I am going to Australia for 4 weeks on holidays and wanted something light to bring with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Just use Openoffice

It is just as good as MS Office and it is completely free. You can save everything in doc files so it opens in MS Office just fine.

I just picked up one of these for my mum. It is VERY pink but that is fine for her. Seems pretty good so far. Connected to wireless in our house pretty easily and the screen is nice and clear. Keyboard is good too and there are lots of conecction ports (USBx3, VGA, headphone etc) and a built in webcam which is handy.
    A full set of Windows 7, x32 bit, drivers are available. (It runs better on W7 than on XP.) A full image recovery is included on the hardisk.

How do you update it to Windows 7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

You'd need an external usb dvd drive. Might be worth holding out for amd's fusion laptops. Gpu performance will help video playback tremendously.

Just use Openoffice

It is just as good as MS Office and it is completely free. You can save everything in doc files so it opens in MS Office just fine.

LibreOffice is a new branch of OpenOffice that supposedly has better import filters (i.e. greater compatibility) for new later versions of MSOffice. (Haven't tried it myself.)

I just copied the Windows 7 setup files onto the hard-drive and ran it from there. (You could also use an external DVD drive.) My daughter had a free academic license, and I used that.
    It really is worth the effort and is very straightforward.
    With W7 you get about 6-7 hours of mixed use.

If you do decide to go with W7, I suggest:

Wait until Windows 7 SP1 is available, it is due this Tuesday.
    Install in the "C Drive" which is tagged as OSInstall.
    Do not overwrite the System Recovery Partition (i.e. the smaller partition) as it gives you a way back if something goes wrong.
    Select the install option to allow windows to search for updates online - SP1 and most of the necessary drivers will install automatically.
    When the install is complete, which will take a couple of hours, download and install the SCM Install file from MSI - otherwise some of the power-saving features don't work.

There you go, have fun. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Took the plunge today , great price - if only it wasn't pink :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I just copied the Windows 7 setup files onto the hard-drive and ran it from there. (You could also use an external DVD drive.) My daughter had a free academic license, and I used that.
    It really is worth the effort and is very straightforward.
    With W7 you get about 6-7 hours of mixed use.

Where do you get the setup files? Are they on the CD that comes with the laptop?

Thanks for the advice.
    Barr wrote: »
    Took the plunge today , great price - if only it wasn't pink :D

On that note, can you get a cover for the back of a laptop in a different more (ahem) masculine colour?

Because the pink is just at the back of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭long_b

One of the benefits to progressing through the stages of your life is that you no longer give a feck about appearances.
    I'll be the 6' 4" guy on the Dublin train with the brand new *pink* netbook :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

For those who got one of these can you tell me how you find the sound from the onboard speakers - I find it very low. Is this typical of netbooks? I'm going to see if I can update the drivers but can others tell me if they also find this so I know it's not just an issue with the one I got?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

long_b wrote: »
    One of the benefits to progressing through the stages of your life is that you no longer give a feck about appearances.
    I'll be the 6' 4" guy on the Dublin train with the brand new *pink* netbook :)

Here's your brother not 6'4'' but I collecting mine tomorrow in swords & I don't give a S*** about the colour Pink not a problem. I may look for some Flower designs to stick on it. wohooooooo :D:D:D

Where do you get the setup files? Are they on the CD that comes with the laptop?
    You need a Windows 7 CD or you can download (quite legitimately) the files online. In theory, you then need to download a set of drivers from MSI.com. In practice, if you follow my approach, all you'll have to do is install the SCM, once the Windows 7 setup is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Cheers OP ;)

Just picked up a pink one for my daughter today (Sunday) & it's the U135DX model.

Has the onboard RAM soldered but has a spare slot for upgrading & removing the back to access it is no problem :D

Excellent little machine for the money.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

If anyone has a pink one reserved in Dublin that they won't use, please let me know. Sister wants one from her confirmation money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jj73

mcgovern wrote: »
    If anyone has a pink one reserved in Dublin that they won't use, please let me know. Sister wants one from her confirmation money :)

sent you a pm.

I was able to get a black one in Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Woulda liken to grab one of these in white or black, seem to be all gone, pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

My mother was looking for one of these. Appear to be all gone now :(

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have a pink one reserved in Swords til 7pm if anyone wants.

Anyone got a black or white reserved in Dublin that they are not taking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have a pink one reserved in Swords til 7pm if anyone wants.
    My mother would prob take it! PM'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 33 throwingmusic

I would be grateful for a reservation for any colour in the Dublin area if anyone's got one................

• Registered Users Posts: 33 throwingmusic

I would be grateful for a reservation for any colour in the Dublin area if anyone's got one................

Actually I just managed to reserve a pink one in Nutgrove can't believe it cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

Hmmm...price leapt up overnight by €50 in the republic and by £30 in the North:mad:...thing is I have pink one reserved in Dundalk and a white one reserved in Newry (white one for me and pink one for an early birthday pressie for my mother). Got an email confirming reservation at the old price (€179.99 and £149.99 respectively). I know that the respective websites state that the price you pay is the price of the item on the day, but I have heard of Argos honouring the price of the item at the time of reservation. Has anyone had success with them up the North in this scenario? (If I had to get just the one, it'd be the white one in Newry as my own comp is on it's last legs :eek:). If it turns out that they won't be honour it, do ye reckon the prices are still good or not? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

cal_chi wrote: »
    Hmmm...price leapt up overnight by €50 in the republic and by £30 in the North:mad:...thing is I have pink one reserved in Dundalk and a white one reserved in Newry (white one for me and pink one for an early birthday pressie for my mother). Got an email confirming reservation at the old price (€179.99 and £149.99 respectively). I know that the respective websites state that the price you pay is the price of the item on the day, but I have heard of Argos honouring the price of the item at the time of reservation. Has anyone had success with them up the North in this scenario? (If I had to get just the one, it'd be the white one in Newry as my own comp is on it's last legs :eek:). If it turns out that they won't be honour it, do ye reckon the prices are still good or not? Thanks.

Actually scrap the bit about it having gone up by €50, it's actually gone up by €70 to €249/99 in the south :mad::mad: - it's too early in the morning for my brain to do simple maths. So, if I do end up getting any of them, it'll definitely be the one in Newry for £179.99 which works out at about €212.

• Advertisement
Advertisement