Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help electric shower has died!

• 30-03-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of ANYWHERE I can source a replacement shower?

Amazon won't post to Ireland, all hardware shops closed of course. I'm in Mullingar, and we are boiling water to wash :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Get your plumber to pick one up and stick it in for you missus..!:):)

The hardwares are not closed to trades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The people of Mullingar have picked a hell of a time to start washing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Very traumatic and on par if not worse than a death in the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I moved into a place a few years back and the electric shower stopped working.

Had an electrician call out, couldn't figure out what was going on. The electricity in the house was on, but the multi-meter at the shower wasn't reading anything.

He looks at me and goes 'hang on, is there a switch for the shower?'

me: 'ye wha?'

Him: 'A switch? like, in the hot press?'

We both walk to the hot press and low and behold there's a shower switch.

He switched it on and the shower started.

Basically paid an electrician's call out fee for him to flick a switch. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Try more local places and see are they open.
    Some of them stock farm feeds and fuel and are still open.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

dragona wrote: »

Amazon won't post to Ireland, all hardware shops closed of course. I'm in Mullingar, and we are boiling water to wash :)

Hookers wash for you for next few months. Hopefully you have a few flannels spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

My shower stopped working a few months ago. It was easy to see there was no Power coming to the shower as the light on the shower wasn't coming on. I asked an electrician friend and he told me that in many cases, the pull switch on the ceiling for the shower fails. So I replaced the pull switch and the shower was working again.

I'm not saying this is your issue, but just wanted to share my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There is a lad lives on a halting site near us. Does great repairs. Cash only.
    Sample of his work.

CeQjGTaWEAAAeM3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Set up an account with Parcel Wizard.

Parcel Motel possible too but Parcel Wizard ship to your address so don't have to break any restrictions.

Order from Amazon, ships to PW's depot in Northern Ireland and they ship it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭con747

Give Smyths of Mullingar a ring. They have a store in Killucan also. I deal with John Smyth in Killucan and he always does his best to help you out.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I see you've got the kind of answers to be expected by posting this in after hours rather than the relevant plumbing or electrical forums.
    I was under the impression that hardware stores were allowed to stay open so maybe start ringing around.

Before you do this make sure to have a look at the fuse board and check it's not just a tripped breaker or rcbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks all :)
    Shower outs water for exactly 2 minutes, then stops. Light is still on, not the fuse. Then restarts again half an hour later. Very weird, don't trust it now. Oh well haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

o1s1n wrote: »
    Basically paid an electrician's call out fee for him to flick a switch. :o

From a lot of "documentaries" I've watched online, apparently a lot of bored housewives do this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There is a lad lives on a halting site near us. Does great repairs. Cash only.
    Sample of his work.

CeQjGTaWEAAAeM3.jpg

Fierce handy if you want to charge your phone while taking a shower.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Or dry your hair while taking a shower. Super-efficient multitasking, no time wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

My mother died recently too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

check this excellent youtube channel for possible causes of your fault and potential simple repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0U53Ja_W0

perhaps these guys are still open and can help out with speres / a new shower if needed

https://theshowerdoctors.ie/about-us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Shower outs water for exactly 2 minutes, then stops. Light is still on, not the fuse. Then restarts again half an hour later. Very weird, don't trust it now. Oh well haha

My guess is water pressure is dropping, then the shower cuts out.
    Possible calcium build up it the pipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a guy on boards called Sleeper12 who does nothing else but install and repair electric showers. I think he's based in Dublin, but I'm sure he'd help you out with some helpful advice at least. Try the plumbing and heating forum.

Emergency repairs are still allowed.

Call a plumber that deals in showers. I mean that, when mixing electricity and water, you want a professional. He will probable be able to source the parts as well. More often than not the whole system doesn't need changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Emergency repairs are still allowed.

Call a plumber that deals in showers. I mean that, when mixing electricity and water, you want a professional. He will probable be able to source the parts as well. More often than not the whole system doesn't need changing.

Can't believe nobody brought this up before now. Playing around with the highest voltage power device in your whole house is not wise. The fact that this same device is near water makes it even more dangerous.

Some plumbers will even keep power showers stocked in their vans.

Two problems, one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

jetsonx wrote: »
    Can't believe nobody brought this up before now. Playing around with the highest voltage power device in your whole house is not wise. The fact that this same device is near water makes it even more dangerous.

Some plumbers will even keep power showers stocked in their vans.

Two problems, one stone.

Highest voltage ? As in the switch is on the ceiling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Or if you're feeling a bit down and want to bring a toaster in with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Or if you're feeling a bit down and want to bring a toaster in with you.

A nice, shocking end.

Clean out the shower head,i had this problem before

Highest voltage ? As in the switch is on the ceiling?

Everyone knows that a showing is a higher voltage than everything else in the house.
    I think they are 600v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Everyone knows that a showing is a higher voltage than everything else in the house.
    I think they are 600v

I must have missed that one in my 20 years as an electrician.
    600 hundred volts in a house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Highest wattage I think, not voltage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Highest wattage I think, not voltage.

They can't hear you, deafened by the sound of their own arrogance, no explanation will ever combat that syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I get by with a rag on a stick. Have you tried that, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

I think they are 600v

Microwave can get you around 2kV )))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks all, found out the pump has gone and cannot be replaced, so found something on Amazon that would be delivered here!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

na1 wrote: »
    Microwave can get you around 2kV )))
    Large CRT TVs can have final anode voltages of 20kV to 30kV, although it very rare to see a CRT TV nowadays (I have one in the attic for old times' sake).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Vita nova wrote: »
    Large CRT TVs can have final anode voltages of 20kV to 30kV, although it very rare to see a CRT TV nowadays (I have one in the attic for old times' sake).
    kV as in Kill-O-Volts

Microwaves can chuck out a couple of thousand volts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vita nova wrote: »

Small CRTs still pack a massive wollop too!

Still plenty of us out there still using then for old videogames. I've 7 or so in total if you include the ones in my arcade machines :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement