Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full HD Projector

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Lu Tze wrote: »
    A well reviewed (Amazon customer reviews 4.6/5) Full HD projector for £140 once the voucher is applied seems pretty decent. Had in it my basket from ages ago, but no need now for it really. Typically about £200 or higher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07QDXHLZ5/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A51OGCNSYDHHB&psc=1

FakeSpot says the reviews have a high level of deception for this.

https://www.fakespot.com/product/wimius-projector-1080p-5000-lumen-video-projector-hd-1080p-with-native-1920x1080p-led-projector-300-lcd-projector-electronic-50-keystone-correction-support-4k-compatible-smartphone-tv-box-laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's a genuinely decent projector for £140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

WiMiUS Projector 1080P,6500 lumen Video Projector HD 1080P with Native 1920x1080P Electronic 4D ±50°Keystone Correction LED Projector Support 4K 300" LCD Projector Compatible Smartphone,TV Box

Read the negative reviews first!!! This is impossible that this projector have so many 5*
    By Norbert on Dec 27, 2019
    First of all, this projector came to us used. The lens was covered with fingerprints and dust, look at a picture nr1.

The brightness of this projector is ridiculously overrated, I have experience with projectors, I 've also owned a few like ViewSonic and Benq. All of them had around 2500 lumens and were much brighter than Wimius.

Another thing is, as on the previous reviews this projector struggles with frame rate when using Mac Mini over HDMI.
    When it comes to sharpness, it is absolutely atrocious. The focus stays only in the central part of the screen and the picture becomes blurry on the exterior corners, making it very difficult to read the text. Especially when the projector is positioned at an angle and using Electronic Keystone Correction (see the photos attached).
    I've didn't expected magic for this money but, this product is beyond any standards, I am not even convinced that this is a full HD 1080p projector.

This bloody thing is so noisy, it can only be used in a techno club. I read on my iPhone 50dB sitting 1metre away from it with an eco mode on. With full fan speed, only a vacuum cleaner can beat this thing.

I'm really looking for a purpose to use this projector but, unfortunately, I cannot find one.
    Definitely not suitable for schools or presentations due to lack of focus.
    Definitely not suitable for home cinema due to lack of focus, input lag and noise.
    The only thing that comes to my mind is a techno club where you can use it to throw some psychedelic shapes on the wall with an accompaniment of loud music.

Do yourself a favour, spare some more money and buy something decent like Optoma, Epson, Benq, Acer or ViewSonic

^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

Stupid review from someone expecting £400 performance from a £140 projector.

I have used one. It's fine. Obviously it's not a £400 projector, but it's a very good one for the money, image is good, yes there can some softness on the edges (uniformity in quality usually not a staple of these projectors) and the brightness isn't the best, but we're talking about a £140 projector.

No idea about the Mac Mini bit but I've had no issues playing from a laptop.

And unless I am missing something, 50db is fairly average for a projecter so the talk of a vaccum cleaner and techno club is more drivel from an idiot who expected a Ferrari for a punto price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some reviews are loopy, I've a €4k projector so am a demanding consumer, for that price what are folk really expecting?
    50db from a meter is very loud in fairness, I'm at 22db but look how much extra I had to pay.
    From my quick glance at the specs the biggest negative is the contrast ratio of 7000:1, I'm at 1,200,000:1 but again at a high premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

Bought one. For price specs are very impressive and the previous optoma i had was only 720p and the bulb only lasted about 2 years. If i get 2 years out of this it's more than paid for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so does this project on to a regular wall? or do i need a special screen?....safe to use outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 davr

Better to have an actual screen (they're not super expensive for a six foot (ish) diagonal screen) but a white/light coloured wall will work also. You also want to check the throw in case you need to have projector very close (or very far) to screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks to the OP for this.
    Had mine delivered a few minutes ago. Have been debating getting a projector for a few months and tbh at £140 it was an easy call.

This is going into my mancave to replace my 55" 2014 LG.
    My brother will be inheriting that ;)

I'll have an interesting day or 2 in rearranging the display wall to make room for a 100" screen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

Any initial thoughts @banie01?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP for this.
    Had mine delivered a few minutes ago. Have been debating getting a projector for a few months and tbh at £140 it was an easy call.

This is going into my mancave to replace my 55" 2014 LG.
    My brother will be inheriting that ;)

I'll have an interesting day or 2 in rearranging the display wall to make room for a 100" screen :)

Street Fighter 2 on that **** would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 morchgally

Any thoughts on this since some of you have bought? Considering purchasing but would be interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks

Forgot about this thread until I received a couple of PM's asking for my thoughts ;)

So I said I'd throw together a mini-review.

Its good picture quality, it is not anywhere near 6500 lumens tho.
    Now that said, I use it in a room with Venetian blinds on a cheapo (€16) amazon screen and it has good daylight visibility in there.
    Its replaced a 55'' LCD tv, its mounted @2.5mtrs from the screen and gives a well balanced and very clear 68" image.

The main piece of advice I'd offer is to buy a good screen, some high gain "grey" material rather than the white bedsheet type on Amazon.
    Then mount that fabric to a rigid frame and make it taut.

Plenty of mounting options available too. I have mine ceiling mounted and the keystone is great.
    No lens zoom or lens shift, but I snagged the projector at @€;145 and it is really fantastic bang for the buck at that price.

I've not used a home projector since a 2002 Sony purchase ;) That served me well for @6yrs before I went to LCD TV. (and now OLED :D ).

One thing to always consider with a projector is placement, especially if the unit has no lens shift feature.
    Central is always best, but not always convenient.
    There is a lot of planning involved in getting the best performance from any projector.
    My 2 cents on it would be, central placement of the projector where possible and a decent high gain fabric screen mounted taut on a frame.
    Border the screen in an inch or so of black too if you can manage it, it does boost perceived contrast.

Hope this helps someone in their choice :)

Street Fighter 2 on that **** would be amazing.

It really is! Thank feck for Retrox!

Another one of these Full HD projectors on offer.
    Apply a voucher and the price drops to £154.99 on checkout.
    Haven't used this model, but there are 422 reviews and a 4.2/5 rating.

The reviews may be massaged by freebies so be sure to DYOR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHAS-Projector-Business-Presentations-Entertainment-White/dp/B07VKJZ19K/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=projector+paint&qid=1584975107&sr=8-25

Advertisement