Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PriceSpy Ireland closing down

• 30-01-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Just got the email to say they're shutting up shop tomorrow. Are there any alternatives for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Just got the email to say they're shutting up shop tomorrow. Are there any alternatives for Ireland?

I wonder is it Brexit related, as the .co.uk site is staying online? :o

I don't know of any alternative, big loss to me as I always used it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they're a nordic company, if anything it'd make more sense to close the uk site :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

It's probably because there weren't many Irish retailers on board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

That's unfortunate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sorry to see this go, would often get good discounts especially on clothes and small electric goods.

• Advertisement

Was especially useful to see if a sale price was genuine, staged or just plain made up. Due to the lax / non existent consumer protection around this area compared to our neighbors, we needed more of these things rather than less, or indeed none at all as will be the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭suave.4u

can't think of any alternative. The .ie site was not that great when compared to the .co.uk one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

suave.4u wrote: »
    can't think of any alternative. The .ie site was not that great when compared to the .co.uk one.

The UK one is staying put! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bollocks. That was a very handy site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Makes no sense to me as it was a handy site, it wouldn't surprise me if Harvey Norman or the likes was giving them legal trouble over their price scraping as it shows how fake their sales prices are

Might'nt be illegal but that doesn't stop a solicitor writing letters giving them a head ache

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 arsconica

It's a real pity. I had noticed that there were very few Irish vendors actually advertising there lately, so it's probably just a case of a business decision based on profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Anyone interested in opening a similar site? Might try do that tomorrow, if I have time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dave..M wrote: »
    Was especially useful to see if a sale price was genuine, staged or just plain made up. Due to the lax / non existent consumer protection around this area compared to our neighbors, we needed more of these things rather than less, or indeed none at all as will be the case now.

You think the uk have stronger rules? Seriously?

In the UK a chain of stores can put a couch or anything else for sale in just one of their stores for a couple of weeks and then claim massive discounts in their other stores based on that one store.

Or the best one - "after offer price" WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

donnyvegas wrote: »
    Anyone interested in opening a similar site? Might try do that tomorrow, if I have time.

They are just basically scraping sites for prices, not that hard to set up and run. Weird to close down
    Shouldn't matter what sites show on their site, maybe there is just no revenue to justify the cost which would be very low

On hols at the mó but hit me up next Monday, have my own server for hosting and etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

donnyvegas wrote:

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

fritzelly wrote: »
    They are just basically scraping sites for prices, not that hard to set up and run.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

Do it.

Suggest a good name. Should be punny

Darc19 wrote: »
    You think the uk have stronger rules? Seriously?

In the UK a chain of stores can put a couch or anything else for sale in just one of their stores for a couple of weeks and then claim massive discounts in their other stores based on that one store.

Or the best one - "after offer price" WTF?

They have Watchdog ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

donnyvegas wrote:

PriceGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

donnyvegas wrote: »

donnydeals.com

& it's available... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Dave..M wrote: »
    They have Watchdog ;)

We've joe Duffy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Google Shopping works.... does the same job minus the price history,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 121dki5

Anyone find something similar or create their own scraper?

Advertisement