Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Echo dot v3 reduced on Amazon

Options
  • 09-04-2019 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Echo Dot v3 down to £29.99 from £49.99 on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Echo Dot v3 down to £29.99 from £49.99 on Amazon

Thanks got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Also reduced in argos - €36.99 down from €54.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Are they actually worth it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depends if you have any of the following
    music accounts such as Spotify
    Home Automation such as Hue Lights or Nest for heat control
    it can just even be used for asking a quick question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

thanks for the reply - I actually don't have any of those listed - I think it would be another piece of tech junk stored in the house !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

6541 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply - I actually don't have any of those listed - I think it would be another piece of tech junk stored in the house !

We mostly use as a radio...its great for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

6541 wrote: »
    Are they actually worth it ?

All the above, plus I've recently purchased wifi plugs that work with it and it's great for walking in the door and asking alexa to turn on all the lights. You can plug to whatever you want and name them as you please in the app. Will come in handy for setting remote timers for lights going on/off when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

I use mine and have it for Spotify, belkin wemo lights and reading the news in the morning, our 4 year old uses it for spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

It's great for Spotify and the radio but that's about it. The actual AI behind Alexa is woeful, thick as two planks and she can be very hit and miss with commands sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Or asking her how she is on a daily basis, the answers can be quite comical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Setting timers also handy "alexa set a timer for 20 minutes" throw something into the oven
    Radio stations handy except I have to ask her about 2-3 times to get todayfm up.
    Spotify connect for non shared spotify account with alexa, or just cast to her with a synced spotify account
    "alexa turn on the kitchen room" to turn on the philips hue kitchen lights
    "alexa show me the front door" to show your ring doorbell
    "alexa what is 400f in C" for cooking temp conversions
    "Alexa wake me up at 8am to pantera cowboys from hell" for custom alarm
    "Alexa turn on rain sounds", ocean sounds. This is good for white noise, we were going to buy a white noise generator for 40 quid but alexa does it as a skill.

I've never used her to set the nest termostat temp, must try

On the echo show only:
    We have a shared calendar displaying upcoming events from our calendar.
    I wish there was youtube access is the main thing I want, as I cook a lot from youtube videos a lot.
    I wish when playing music/radio it would allow more multi functionality, like going through your photo album instead of displaying the radio station stats that never change ( echo show only ), or displaying the weather, calendar, news like when not playing radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Tempted for that price.
    Still on the fence on the whole smart house thing.
    I'd say not long before these are given away free with a lot of things to try get to the last few of us who have been holding out. When they are in literally every home is when the really exciting/scary developments will become possible I'm sure.
    So, not buying today, but might make the jump at payday
    (BA STRIKES AGAIN)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ugh I have an echo and an amazon fire tablet (that I use as a second echo because its always listening).

And they're good. But they're not perfect. Sometimes I I'm like "echo, lights brightness down" and she's like "didn't find a device called 'lights brightness'"

My TV has Alexa integration and I can get it to change input to HDMI 1 or turn up volume, but I can't get it to play arrested development on Netflix.

For all of those things my Google assistant is a little more useful, and I'm tempted to get a Google home mini. Anyone used that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

slegs wrote: »
    We mostly use as a radio...its great for that :)

This is literally (no, no figuratively) all I have gotten one for. Cheapest wifi radio of any merit is almost double the price. Currently use TuneIn on the phone but it's a bit "tinny".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Bought one, thank you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks OP. Have been toying with the idea of one for a while, so this is a cheap way to test the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Got one for the craic! Another spying device lol

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

They're also selling the Echo input (basically like Chromecast audio with Alexa built in) for 20. So I got three of those and another Echo, but I only managed to connect one of them so far. Registration failure with the other three devices. Anyone got any suggestions here? I've tried resetting the router, the devices, deregistering them from my Amazon account, basically pressed every available button and nothing works (except for the first input device). I've recently installed 20 or so additional smart devices (bulbs and a few Gateways) so I'm wondering if this is part of the issue? Should I just go around, manually switch off all the lights and see if I can get it to register then. Perhaps I should be fiddling about with my router andmaking sure the Echo connects with the 5g network? It's one of those white Virgin boxes with 2.5 & 5g bands. My understanding is that pretty much everything connected is probably using the 2.5g band.

Advertisement