Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matebook 14 v Hp 14 Pavilion

Options

Comments

matebook d / magicbook is metal, HP only the lid I think, rest is plastic

better IPS screen on matebook

10th gen i5 would test at a reasonable premium to the 3500u

Not going to make a huge difference if the usage is light but if I'm reading it right that the hp also has twice the storage and is ram expendable up to 32gb (maybe the matebook is also, might have missed that) then unless there's a huge difference in other aspects (I know the matebook has a very good rep for build quality) then I'd say the fifty quid difference would seem to future proof you a good bit more

10th gen i5 would test at a reasonable premium to the 3500u

Not going to make a huge difference if the usage is light but if I'm reading it right that the hp also has twice the storage and is ram expendable up to 32gb (maybe the matebook is also, might have missed that) then unless there's a huge difference in other aspects (I know the matebook has a very good rep for build quality) then I'd say the fifty quid difference would seem to future proof you a good bit more

32 gb ram expanadable is not correct - that refers to Optane which is nothing to do with ram

3500u is decent and has better graphics power than the intel (a good bit better for the AMD)

cpu side on it's own is plenty for those tasks. the intel is a bit ahead (~15% max) on cpu but nothing that will be obvious

matebook is a class up easily overally imo

I was confident you'd be in to rep for the matebook glasso!

I was confident you'd be in to rep for the matebook glasso!

well have you ever heard 1 person who bought one come back to say that they regretted their purchase?

QED

• Advertisement

Ha, wasn't a dig. By all accounts they deserve the boost.

oh I know.

overall build quality (case, keyboard, thermals and cooling) and screen (IPS for viewing angles and bright enough) ahead of other laptops in the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Thanks for the responses gents, happy enough to stick with the original intention of the matebook and save him 50 quid, she is all online this year so better screen will help too. Appreciate the responses

glic83 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses gents, happy enough to stick with the original intention of the matebook and save him 50 quid, she is all online this year so better screen will help too. Appreciate the responses

just to be aware - if doing a lot of zoom meetings some people don't like the upward-facing webcam angle but I would certainly not consider that a reason not to get it - minor thing.

if doing a lot of zoom stuff etc better off really buying a proper usb webcam with autofocus and wide angle - which you won't get in a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

glasso wrote: »
    just to be aware - if doing a lot of zoom meetings some people don't like the upward-facing webcam angle but I would certainly not consider that a reason not to get it - minor thing.

if doing a lot of zoom stuff etc better off really buying a proper usb webcam with autofocus and wide angle - which you won't get in a laptop
    Yeah I'll make him aware of that, cheers
    It may/ may not be an issue
    Any recommendations of webcams just in case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

32 gb ram expanadable is not correct - that refers to Optane which is nothing to do with ram

3500u is decent and has better graphics power than the intel (a good bit better for the AMD)

cpu side on it's own is plenty for those tasks. the intel is a bit ahead (~15% max) on cpu but nothing that will be obvious

matebook is a class up easily overally imo

are the matebook and magibook literally the same thing?
    I am going to pull the trigger today.

vectra wrote: »
    are the matebook and magibook literally the same thing?
    I am going to pull the trigger today.

matebook d and magicbook are the same

well have you ever heard 1 person who bought one come back to say that they regretted their purchase?

QED

Me :(
    Got my Honor Magibook 14 yesterday after advice given here.
    Not for me I'm afraid and would love if someone looking for one would buy it from me.
    I should have looked deeper before buying it as it is a laptop I wanted, not a notebook. :o

too small a screen size for your personal preference?

the screen size is in the name!

that doesn't make it a bad laptop - it's not.

they make a magicbook 15 / matebook d15 also - if you had read the forums here you would see it discussed

although the 14 has a bigger battery, a backlit keyboard and is more portable so many opt for that model

that said you should be able to sell it easily enough

As I said, I should have looked deeper before buying. I am not in the least saying it is a bad laptop. Just not for me.

As the saying goes. "One mans food is another mans poison"

What doesn't suit you about it out of interest?

What doesn't suit you about it out of interest?

Prefer full size laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I also bought the honor magicbook 14, the 4500u version. It is an amazing piece of kit by any estimation, and a mile ahead of any laptop I have ever owned before.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Look for laptop with 11th gen intel cpu or
    Amd 4500u or 4700u
    Amd would be better

• Advertisement

Drewgerger wrote: »
    Look for laptop with 11th gen intel cpu or
    Amd 4500u or 4700u
    Amd would be better

Thats what I thought I ordered, I never clicked about the "BOOK" part in the name :P
    I am going to try return it under the 14 day cooling off period.

OK
    Got on to Customer support and they are accepting it back under the 14 day cooling off period.
    Now what to buy?
    It has to be laptop so 15~16" screen with Laptop keyboard layout.

what do you mean by "laptop keyboard layout"?

what do you mean by "laptop keyboard layout"?

Same as this.My current laptop.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Laptop-SuperMulti-Windows-Premium/dp/B0053GLCDU

you mean with a number pad I assume.

you can still get laptops with number pads but they are a lot less common than they used to be, even on 15.6 inch screen laptops

Advertisement