Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony have blocked the install of Kodi on Android TV

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

grahamb1 wrote: »
    Important MAG device users

So Informir which are the makers of MAG Devices have been informed by courts to block all portals which are on the "list" for IPTV streaming. For to copyright reason.

Blocking MAG BOX Portal only.

Source???:rolleyes:

The above info is pre christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

UrbanFret wrote:
    Source???

Makes no sense as it would kill their business overnight

dubrov wrote: »
    Oh that is their official line at the moment. If the copyright holders file a complaint they have to act. However if they are doing it without the knowledge or permission of the boxes end user then they themselves are breaking the law. I suspect they add the black list to the firmware updates so if you disable auto updates you should be fine. Although That's only my opinion. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Source???:rolleyes:

The above info is pre christmas.

My mag box was blocked twice by informir in the last 2 months whilst using 2 different iptv subs. A copyright warning appears on screen, supplier beat it by changing portal but the official mag boxes are doomed in the future I reckon, hopefully there will be a reliable replacement from a different manufacturer who dosnt allow themselves to be bullied by the big media corporations

how.gareth wrote: »
    My mag box was blocked twice by informir in the last 2 months whilst using 2 different iptv subs. A copyright warning appears on screen, supplier beat it by changing portal but the official mag boxes are doomed in the future I reckon, hopefully there will be a reliable replacement from a different manufacturer who dosnt allow themselves to be bullied by the big media corporations

Do You know had you Firmware updates enabled or disabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The mag boxes with the old/alternative official firmware flashed to it works anyway, as do custom firmwares. But I don't think it's as straightforward for Kodi.
    Sony could/should have chosen to have a custom version of Kodi. That would allow many functions, but prevent many others. Whoever was in charge of that was either very lazy or didn't understand it.

hopefully there will be a reliable replacement from a different manufacturer who dosnt allow themselves to be bullied by the big media corporations

There already are plenty. Better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm on my second Sony Android TV.
    What happened the other Sony Android TV?

A relative is on their 4th android box. The TV is still (touch wood) going grand. It's from when 1080p was "high spec", before BluRay players became available.

A mate has a Smart TV, but he has to watch Netflix on his PS4, as the Smart TV apps haven't been updated in quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

the_syco wrote: »
    .A mate has a Smart TV, but he has to watch Netflix on his PS4, as the Smart TV apps haven't been updated in quite some time.

This is the trouble, your depending on the TV manufacturer for app updates. I've seen older LG smart TVs don't get the latest version of Emby app.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    That has been done for a long time. They were behind one of the largest illegal IPTV providers being arrested (up to that point there was no real clue as to where they operated from) around this time last year. That opened it up it wide for other 'providers'.
    They seem to now go after the people that supply the streams.
    Their business is not reliant on people buying illegal iptv. They have already made a lot of money from that and they could probably help fund many legal IPTV services now to help their business grow.

i.e. It could be in their interest to encourage 100% legal streams.

Do You know had you Firmware updates enabled or disabled?

No it hadn’t updated in the previous six months

Suckit wrote: »
    There already are plenty. Better too.

Cool what are they? I’d be interested

Picked up a Sony Android TV for black Friday. At first I wasn't really concerned what OS it ran and previously I ran a Chromebox with KodiBuntu but being able to install Kodi on the TV itself proved very handy.

At the moment I can still launch it so maybe they haven't pushed out the change globally. I've turned off automatic software updates in the chance it may slow the chance of getting affected.

Looking at the Kodi forum it seems they are blocking the Kodi PACKAGE_ID, so working around it shouldn't be too hard as this can be changed. Failing that I'll hook up my KodiBunto box and forget about the android OS.

Cool what are they? I’d be interested

I suppose Formuler would be the biggest.
    Then there BuzzTV, iPremium/Avov, ftatronix.com ship those here.
    Xtreamz not so well known, and there are a ton of Chinese and German boxes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All smart TVs are crap, it's a marketing gimmick. You will always get a much better experience from a separate box or dongle

That's not true at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hurrache wrote: »
    That's not true at all.

It certainly is in my experience.

That's not true at all.

It is true for several reasons already mentioned:
    1 the hardware is weak when compared to the experience you get on even a 50 quid fire stick
    2 you are at the mercy of the TV manufacturer for updates with them having the ability to block whatever they like as we are seeing here.

You may have mentioned reasons, but they're invalid. You're comparing a firestick with what you're imagining incorrectly is a standard Smart TV. I've a media server in the house and 2 Smart TVs and a dumb one, 2 different OS. The media server hasn't been used in months other than to back files up.

Even when it was used, the TVs could run the client software anyway without the need for a firestick or the likes, there's simply no need for one.

To say Smart TVs are crap and a gimmick does not stand any sort of scrutiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Especially Android TVs. Even if Sony left it at version 7, apps would be updated and available for it for years.

You may have mentioned reasons, but they're invalid. You're comparing a firestick with what you're imagining incorrectly is a standard Smart TV. I've a media server in the house and 2 Smart TVs and a dumb one, 2 different OS. The media server hasn't been used in months other than to back files up.

Even when it was used, the TVs could run the client software anyway without the need for a firestick or the likes, there's simply no need for one.

To say Smart TVs are crap and a gimmick does not stand any sort of scrutiny.

I do believe there is a certain type of person needs a smart TV (my brother is one), but to say the experience is just as good as a dedicated box is not true. Convenient yes, just as good no.

I've an Emby server with a 90TB library I share with family and friends. I've got several users using various different smart TV's, Sony, Lg and Samsung. The apps on ALL smart TVs are painful to browse through the library when compared to the experience from a Fire Stick or MiBox. They are so slow they are constantly buffering and freezing with any high bitrate content.
    The app on the LG is stuck on an older version of Emby because LG refuse to allow it to update.
    I'm at the stage now where I refuse any support unless they buy an addon box for the better experience it brings.

They are all much the same for Youtube/Netflix, pretty slow to browse through the library of images, slow to start a stream, not a great experience at all. And just to note none of these are using wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mr E wrote: »
    ??

I understand what you're saying about Sony, but what did Nintendo ever do to you?

Not me personally but how they treat youtubers and the like.

Convenient yes, just as good no.

So they do what the people want them to do, so are neither gimmicky or crap.
    They are all much the same for Youtube/Netflix, pretty slow to browse through the library of images, slow to start a stream, not a great experience at all. And just to note none of these are using wireless

Both mine are on wireless, one from 2016, the other from 2018, stream instantly and there's never any pause for thumbnails.

A decent Smart TV will negate the need for a Firestick and the likes.

Sony Says it Will ‘Fix’ Kodi Problem in Next Update

https://torrentfreak.com/sony-says-it-will-fix-kodi-problem-in-next-update/

Both mine are on wireless, one from 2016, the other from 2018, stream instantly and there's never any pause for thumbnails.

I'd like to know the make and model of these you recommend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

I'd like to know the make and model of these you recommend

A fast Sony Android TV is the newest one, the AF9.

I have an AF8 which is sluggish, compared to a Shield, but fast compared to a pre Android TV Sony from 2015.

One thing about TVs playing the content is 5.1/7.1 audio getting out to your Amp. Most will only allow compressed audio over ARC. The AF9 has eARC which allows uncompressed 5.1/7.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the_syco wrote:
    What happened the other Sony Android TV?

Upgraded to OLED, gave the older one to my godchild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A fast Sony Android TV is the newest one, the AF9.

I've this model. Thought the AF8 was ok too.

I'm not sure if some of the comments here are from users who've used Android TV and get that the apps are updated.

My Android TVs got great updates. With significant feature improvements.

I did not get that with other Smart TVs. I always bought boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Have sony also done something to disable dns changes? Can't seem to get smartdns to work on my new Bravia kdxf8096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

coldfire1x wrote: »

Ahem, yeah right. Due to the way it was being blocked and bypassed this was never an accident.

• Advertisement

Custom firmware released for the infomir Mags, Works perfectly and beats the block! ;)

Custom firmware released for the infomir Mags, Works perfectly and beats the block! ;)

Downloaded automatically from their site?

Downloaded automatically from their site?
    Infomir hardly going to release it. :D

Whats This?

Infomir hardly going to release it. :D

Whats This?

Sorry yeah that was a silly thing to say!
    Cheers I’ll take a look, easy to do?

Sorry yeah that was a silly thing to say!
    Cheers I’ll take a look, easy to do?

Yes put the relevant file on a usb sick and update it through the bootmenu. Turn box on.and press button with 3 lines on it centre left of remote below home button to access this menu. If unsure theres some tutorials on youtube.

Yes put the relevant file on a usb sick and update it through the bootmenu. Turn box on.and press button with 3 lines on it centre left of remote below home button to access this menu. If unsure theres some tutorials on youtube.

Brilliant much appreciated

(Guide to flashing mag USB Method)

1)Download custom firmware
    2) Connect your USB stick (use 4gb or smaller) to computer and format file system to FAT32, copy the correct image file for your mag onto the root of the USB Drive
    3) On the USB drive you should now have the directory MAG250/254 this contains two files image update and bootstrap
    4) Enter The MAG BIOS
    (How to enter the BIOS setup (bootloader menu) MAG-250/254?)
    a) Power off the MAG250/254.
    b) Press and hold the «menu» button on the remote (This is the button Centre left of remote 3 parallel lines below the home button)
    c) Without releasing the «menu» button Power on the MAG-250/254.
    you should now be in the BIOS menu.
    5) Select “Upgrade Tools”, press ok on the remote control
    6) Select “USB Bootstrap”
    7) Connect the USB flash drive( to rear port if available) and click OK to confirm the beginning of the update process
    8) Wait for the update, STB will reboot itself.
    9) You should now have the new firmware on the box.

(You can check you have the new firmware version from the inner portal under device info)

Mag box support should have it's own thread

Well this happens to be were we have been discussing it. If you're a mod im sure you can move the posts referencing the mags.

• Advertisement

Yep sorry I kinda dragged it off course but thought your thread was dead anyway? Like they haven’t blocked kodi so problem solved I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

It is true for several reasons already mentioned:
    1 the hardware is weak when compared to the experience you get on even a 50 quid fire stick
    2 you are at the mercy of the TV manufacturer for updates with them having the ability to block whatever they like as we are seeing here.

stumbled upon this thread as deciding between a Sony Android Tv and a TV + separate box this time.

Note i have :
    Sony TV (not smart) with Minix U9-h
    Samsung TV (not smart) with Minix u9-h
    Sony TV (smart) with Netflix and Youtue (have also a chomecast)

i have previously been advocate of separate boxes , but im not so sure any more.

Compatibility of Apps with Boxes is not always great. Netflix is a mess on the Minix U9-h, bought these "high function" boxes couple of years back only to have a nightmare with Netflix. Only Certain version of netflix is supported , so many times had to downgrade or tried to upgrade the app. Cannot watch things like BlackMirror interactive due to the old version of the app.
    Firmware has not been updated in an age. Full HD Netflix support lacking. You tube crashes. These were quite popular "android boxes"

Looked at the Roku- cant run Youtube kids. etc (had Roku at one point)
    Amazon fire- running youtube/youtube kids - have to be workarounds - ultimately these devices dont have to support it.
    Chromecast - you need your phone - pain to have to do this.

The Nvidia seems the only good android box out there (note the mi-box s seems to be another failure from reviews to date)

The other thing that slightly annoys me is the fact i have 3 remotes , its just not convenient (tv, set-top box, android box).

If the Chromecast ran android tv and did not need a phone for interaction id agree separate device may be better option.

But for now it seems to be an Android TV on Sony or an Nvidia box. Options are very limited, i think the "android box" market is over hyped as a lot of them also have compatibility and update issues such as the TVs themselves.

I dont think its as straightforward these days , the principle of a separate device i like , but there needs to be decent android boxes/sticks come to market.

My usage of apps on a box has included:
    Netflix
    Plex
    YouTube
    YouTube Kids
    RTE player (very rare)
    Amazon Player
    Kodi(no longer use- reverted to Plex)
    VLC Player (rare)
    Dream EPG player(havent use since bought 2nd tiviar box)

Just stumbled across this thread.
    Sony also blocked the plex app.
    Had to buy the parents a chrome cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Just stumbled across this thread.
    Sony also blocked the plex app.
    Had to buy the parents a chrome cast.

Well that rules out Sony TV with Android for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

I haven't tried Plex, but Kodi is working fine on my Sony android tv - I think they reversed the decision to "block" Kodi after all the flack they got. If you read back the thread, you'll see a link which clarifies the situation.

john_doe. wrote: »
    stumbled upon this thread as deciding between a Sony Android Tv and a TV + separate box this time.

Note i have :
    Sony TV (not smart) with Minix U9-h
    Samsung TV (not smart) with Minix u9-h
    Sony TV (smart) with Netflix and Youtue (have also a chomecast)

i have previously been advocate of separate boxes , but im not so sure any more.

Compatibility of Apps with Boxes is not always great. Netflix is a mess on the Minix U9-h, bought these "high function" boxes couple of years back only to have a nightmare with Netflix. Only Certain version of netflix is supported , so many times had to downgrade or tried to upgrade the app. Cannot watch things like BlackMirror interactive due to the old version of the app.
    Firmware has not been updated in an age. Full HD Netflix support lacking. You tube crashes. These were quite popular "android boxes"

Looked at the Roku- cant run Youtube kids. etc (had Roku at one point)
    Amazon fire- running youtube/youtube kids - have to be workarounds - ultimately these devices dont have to support it.
    Chromecast - you need your phone - pain to have to do this.

The Nvidia seems the only good android box out there (note the mi-box s seems to be another failure from reviews to date)

The other thing that slightly annoys me is the fact i have 3 remotes , its just not convenient (tv, set-top box, android box).

If the Chromecast ran android tv and did not need a phone for interaction id agree separate device may be better option.

But for now it seems to be an Android TV on Sony or an Nvidia box. Options are very limited, i think the "android box" market is over hyped as a lot of them also have compatibility and update issues such as the TVs themselves.

I dont think its as straightforward these days , the principle of a separate device i like , but there needs to be decent android boxes/sticks come to market.

My usage of apps on a box has included:
    Netflix
    Plex
    YouTube
    YouTube Kids
    RTE player (very rare)
    Amazon Player
    Kodi(no longer use- reverted to Plex)
    VLC Player (rare)
    Dream EPG player(havent use since bought 2nd tiviar box)

4K firestick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Only just saw this thread now. I have a Sony Android TV and SPMC works great on it. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, it is a fork of kodi and more or less the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Only just saw this thread now. I have a Sony Android TV and SPMC works great on it. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned already, it is a fork of kodi and more or less the same thing

Last i checked SPMC hasn't been updated in a while. The latest version of Kodi works well on android TV. I find Kodi has better support for all the files i throw at it.

SPMC is dead, no more updates for it. The developer joined another crew nearly a year ago.
    http://www.aftvnews.com/spmc-creator-ends-the-apps-development-and-joins-the-mrmc-team/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭BandMember

SPMC is finished, developer left over a year ago and is not compatible with many add ons anymore (especially the new ones).

One thing that I've noticed with Kodi on my Android TV though is that since the update to v18, the display is set by default to 1080p and I can't change that setting. I uninstalled it and did a fresh install from the Playstore, but it's still the same. Anyone else have this problem?

Advertisement