Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this laptop good value?

Options
  • 17-11-2020 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a laptop for my son for Christmas
    - he'll just be using it for light web browsing (netflix) and open office. Budget is around 350 - 400e.

I've just seen a "Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15.6" Laptop - AMD 3020e, 128 GB SSD, Black" for 319e on currys website (sorry I can't post a link as I'm a new user). Is it any good or should I keep looking?

EDITED: I've just seen the other thread asking about the same laptop

What would be the minimum specs I should look for for a laptop like this?

Thanks

Comments

wouldn't buy that one as a low-power 6 watt chip

look for the 15w amd athlon gold 3150u chip which is much better and seems to be around in budget laptops these days

but seems to be out-of-stock right now on the lenovo ideapad 3's that it's in - would wait to see that one again

then buy 4gb ram extra to put in it also to bring up to 8gb.

best bang for buck chip at the moment.

up there with the intel i3's just about for less money

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmt012

glasso wrote: »
    wouldn't buy that one as a low-power 6 watt chip

look for the 15w amd athlon gold 3150u chip which is much better and seems to be around in budget laptops these days

but seems to be out-of-stock right now on the lenovo ideapad 3's that it's in - would wait to see that one again

then buy 4gb ram extra to put in it also to bring up to 8gb.

best bang for buck chip at the moment.

up there with the intel i3's just about for less money

Hi glasso,

Thanks for your advice. I've found this asus vivobook on did's website: https://www.did.ie/asus-vivobook-14-amd-4gb-128gb-laptop-black-m413da-ek007t-m413da-ek007t-prd

Would this laptop be better or would you still recommend waiting for a lenovo ideapad 3?

With the asus vivobook, could i add the extra 4gb ram too?

Thanks again for your patience and advice!

yes get a 4gb ddr4 sodimm 2666mhz single from amazon - about 15 pounds.

the vivobook probably has a better screen than the ideapad 3 and is lighter

the 3250u in the vivobook is also a tiny bit better than the 3150u in the ideapad

seems decent for the normal basic uses - streaming, browsing, ms office type of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmt012

the 3250u in the vivobook is also a tiny bit better than the 3150u in the ideapad

seems decent for the normal basic uses - streaming, browsing, ms office type of stuff

Great, thanks for all your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Whistlingmilk

I was about to jump on this laptop, as I haven't been able to find many around this price that are good.

But from what I can gather I don't think the Asus Vivobook 14 M413DA has removable memory or an extra RAM slot?

Do you think https://euronics.ie/product/hp-14-amd-athlon-laptop-14s-fq0009na/ would be a good alternative? Seems like that HP can have extra RAM, I don't know how the 3150 compares to 3250.

Can't seem to find any other options in stock anywhere.

• Advertisement

very little between 3250u and 3150u a few %

yes HP can add ram (2 slots both removable, 4gb comes in one of them as sold)

correct that particular vivobook M413DA has no ram slot available (one 1 soldered stick) - bad when only providing 4gb ram

other vivobook 14s before had a removable slot afaik

so that hp seems alright - screen is a bit dim at 220nits but will be ok for indoor (same screen as a lot of budget 14 laptops I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭the goon

I was about to jump on this laptop, as I haven't been able to find many around this price that are good.

But from what I can gather I don't think the Asus Vivobook 14 M413DA has removable memory or an extra RAM slot?

Do you think https://euronics.ie/product/hp-14-amd-athlon-laptop-14s-fq0009na/ would be a good alternative? Seems like that HP can have extra RAM, I don't know how the 3150 compares to 3250.

Can't seem to find any other options in stock anywhere.

Hi, has anyone bought from Euronics before? I'm not familiar with them but certainly that laptop looks the biz for "Santy" to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

the goon wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone bought from Euronics before? I'm not familiar with them but certainly that laptop looks the biz for "Santy" to deliver.

I haven't bought from Euronics online, but got appliances from their Portlaoise store. I haven't had to use any warranty services, but their in-person sales staff were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Would this laptop for B&M store be good?

Looking to purchase for my old man so its the basics only needed, bit of web browsing, excel, etc... think he would prefer to go through a shop rather than online.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7944468/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_50000560%7CLaptops%7C50000564.htm#tab3

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Would this laptop for B&M store be good?

Looking to purchase for my old man so its the basics only needed, bit of web browsing, excel, etc... think he would prefer to go through a shop rather than online.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7944468/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_50000560%7CLaptops%7C50000564.htm#tab3

stay away from the Amd A series cpus like the one in that laptop - they are old and not good

AMD more recent cpus even lower level ones like the Athlon gold 3150u are good.

anything above that in 3 or 4 series number are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/300-series/ideapad-330s-15-intel-/p/88IP30S0988

Would this lenovo be a good option - I see there is only 4GB RAM can this be upgraded by adding an extra 4GB?

Advertisement