Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VF to Eir with Ubiquiti Unifi Network

Options
  • 25-11-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hello all...I've been with Vodafone FTTC for years and never a problem (get about 60 down 18 up, happy with that as no FTTH here). I've a Ubiquiti Unifi network (cloudkey, controller, switch and hardwired to a few access points around the house (VF router is bridged)...all working nicely (took a while to get it set up right).

Problem is EIR deal is so damn good
    VF = best will do is 35/month + 1 month free
    Eir = 30/month + Eir Sport free (which I'm paying 15/month for) + 50 off first bill + echo dot (don't care) + prime video (don't care)

By my math I'd be saving 30/month with switching...not to be sneezed at.

But I'm hearing a lot of noise re customer support on Eir but I'm thinking that shouldn't be an issue as have never had to call VF and will be same line etc. Let me know if I'm dreaming...

My question is has anyone here set up a Unifi network with the eir router bridged and how hard/easy was it...

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

I moved from Virgin to Eir FTTH - Virgin had far too many outages in the last few months, that I just had to leave them. Also pricing from Eir was competitive. I've had no issues, but did have to make a change to support VLAN10 tagging on the wan interface, to support the use of my own equipment with Eir's modem. This wasn't mentioned by Eir, but thankfully a quick google had the answer.

I haven't had to deal with customer service side of things yet, hopefully I never have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Hi, jumping in here as you raised a query in my somewhat similar 'moving to X provider, can I Unify?' thread;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058135460

I figured I needed to re-familiarise myself with how I set this up a while back. While doing so, I put it in a blog post for my own future reference. Hopefully it will help - feel free to ask if you need to see any further screens etc.

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2020/11/configure-eir-f2000-modem-with-unifi-usg.html#more

Advertisement