Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACER swift won't charge

Options
  • 14-11-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My son is in College so is very dependent on his laptop this year. Obviously it therefore broke down!
    He told me the screen went black so I assumed the screen was broke (already replaced it once)
    However when he brought it home to me I think it may actually be a battery problem.
    It is an ACER Swift (3 i think) and is only only a few years old.
    So basically it will power up when plugged in - full blue LED lamp icon nothing on battery
    When lid is closed the lamp icon flashes orange again nothing on battery icon
    I hooked it up to monitor and laptop is working

New battery needed ??
    I tried the reset button at the back

Comments

could be charger (may provide power to laptop but not charge battery)

I would say chances are if the laptop is not that old (<3 years) that it's the charger over the battery

especially if it's working and windows battery in power settings / battery status says "plugged in not charging"

try getting a new charger on amazon or ebay.

send it back within return period if it doesn't solve the issue (could be easier with amazon to return)

then try the battery replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

glasso wrote: »
    could be charger (may provide power to laptop but not charge battery)

I would say chances are if the laptop is not that old (<3 years) that it's the charger over the battery

especially if it's working and windows battery in power settings / battery status says "plugged in not charging"

try getting a new charger on amazon or ebay.

send it back within return period if it doesn't solve the issue (could be easier with amazon to return)

then try the battery replacement

Thanks will try that
    The pin is VERY thin on those chargers but it didn’t look damaged tbh

km79 wrote: »
    Thanks will try that
    The pin is VERY thin on those chargers but it didn’t look damaged tbh

it doesn't have to look damaged tbh - might look fine to the eye without any visible damage

the battery can go but it shouldn't for a number of years normally and usually degrades first over time (charge doesn't last as long)

try to find a charger compatible for the correct laptop model (preferably) but one of those multi-connection ones can work also if in the right voltage and amps range

Battery status just says 70% in windows
    Not moving from 70 either
    70 % available (plugged in ) on the battery icon on taskbar

Battery status just says 70% in windows
    Not moving from 70 either

and if you take plug out it just dies immediately?

could be a battery thing then possibly.

how old is the laptop

search amazon for compatible batteries but have to use addresspal to get to ireland as amazon won't ship directly

you can try this (worth a try but probably won't fix) ->

go to device manager and into batteries and power options in there and right-click uninstall on all items and restart laptop

could be worth to get the battery and the charger and by process of elimination work out what's wrong

• Advertisement

and if you take plug out it just dies immediately?

could be a battery thing then possibly.

how old is the laptop

search amazon for compatible batteries but have to use addresspal to get to ireland as amazon won't ship directly

you can try this (worth a try but probably won't fix) ->

go to device manager and into batteries and power options in there and right-click uninstall on all items and restart laptop

Yeah it dies straight away
    We got the laptop this time 3 years ago
    I’ll try that so thanks
    Not sure I’d be able to replace battery as it is internal
    But if it’s only a matter of unscrewing back and switching over I’d manage that
    Thanks

Yeah it dies straight away
    We got the laptop this time 3 years ago
    I’ll try that so thanks
    Not sure I’d be able to replace battery as it is internal
    But if it’s only a matter of unscrewing back and switching over I’d manage that
    Thanks

it will be easy enough to do - there will usually be a youtube video for every model showing it -just search

just a screwdriver to take back off and a clip that can be undone by a finger for the battery connection

it will be easy enough to do - there will usually be a youtube video for every model showing it -just search

just a screwdriver to take back off and a clip that can be undone by a finger for the battery connection

Perfect I’ll prob just have to bite the bullet and order one so

I have the battery out now but it is proving very difficult to get a replacement!
    My wife works in IT support and contacted their suppliers and they can not source one - they do mainly deal with Dell products though.

A recent thread here suggested Duracellbatteries.ie. They did not have it when I put in part number.
    Most on amazon do not deliver to Ireland . I think I may have found one that seems a popular brand but there are no reviews and it will cost 100 euro so need to be sure

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Cell-AP1503K-AP1505L-AP15O3K-Black/dp/B08L7R2L8W/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=ap1505l+acer+battery&qid=1606318706&sr=8-6

Battery code is AP1505L
    Part number i think is 3icp4/91/91
    Laptop model is N17W6

use addresspal or parcel motel - should work for amazon batteries

• Advertisement

Battery came
    First the good news
    The screen now works
    The bad news
    It only works when plugged in . The battery doesn’t seem to be charging at all.
    I only plugged it in a few minutes ago but there is no battery LED

then would seem that the charger is at fault also

battery should be charging obviously

I've had issues with a number chargers over the years where it would provide direct power to the laptop but not charge the battery. no visible damage

basically was something gone in the connection and a replacement charger sorted it

of course there is a chace that it could be the charging point at the laptop also but more likely to be the charger itself

then would seem that the charger is at fault also

battery should be charging obviously

I've had issues with a number chargers over the years where it would provide direct power to the laptop but not charge the battery. no visible damage

basically was something gone in the connection and a replacement charger sorted it

of course there is a chace that it could be the charging point at the laptop also but more likely to be the charger itself

Not sure I want to spend another penny on this now but the bloody battery cost 100 euro :(

Will ask around and see if anyone has an acer charger to check before I buy

chargers are cheaper

batteries can be too but you've spent that now

amazon should have one if you try the model number

it's worth the 30 euro or so now that you've spent that on a new battery tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

In the OP you say the screen is black but when you hook up a motor it's working ?

Is that correct ? Or have I misunderstood ?

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    In the OP you say the screen is black but when you hook up a motor it's working ?

Is that correct ? Or have I misunderstood ?

Ken

When I put the new battery in and connect to AC the screen now works yes. It didn’t previously even when plugged in
    The laptop still won’t power up off battery or charge battery though

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Old battery: external monitor only, only when plugged in
    New battery: Internal display or external, only when plugged in.

TBH this could be the power delivery circuitry. I'd borrow a charger then if no joy not sink any more money nor effort into it.

Advertisement