Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unannounced update

Options
  • 31-03-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have a galaxy S8 on 3 mobile that looks like it restarted by itself last night. I assume it was a software update as it had the keypad on screen to put in my pin number when i picked it up this morning.

There was no notification beforehand that this was going to happen and the alarm didnt go off this morning. Lucky it was a Sunday morning so i didnt miss anything too urgent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Mine only updated last week so wouldn't panic. I'm on tesco, but same phone, so it's just Samsung releasing the update.

Samsung have a feature to do an auto reboot overnight once a week. Are you sure that's not turned on?

Search for auto restart in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You can disable auto software updates in settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lofidelity

The problem was that it turned off the phone therefore the alarm didnt go off this morning. I was in bed til 11 thinking it was only 8am. On a week day that would be a mini disaster.

Lofidelity wrote: »
    The problem was that it turned off the phone therefore the alarm didnt go off this morning. I was in bed til 11 thinking it was only 8am. On a week day that would be a mini disaster.

A reboot or software update shouldn't remove your alarms. Never has for me, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lofidelity wrote: »

You can set the alarm to go off when the phone is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Go to Settings - Software update and check the Last update date. That'll tell you if an update was installed last night. If not, then the OS probably crashed and some monitor process rebooted the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Basil3 wrote: »
    Samsung have a feature to do an auto reboot overnight once a week. Are you sure that's not turned on?

Search for auto restart in settings.

This is exactly what it is. Since the pie update on my S8+ the auto restart option doesnt seem to work anymore it just turns the phone off. I had mine set to 2am every wednesday morning and same thing happened me with the alarm 2 weeks in a row. I changed auto restart to during the day as i think auto restart is useful to leave turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Sounds like you might've received the latest security patch and the phone applied it overnight, but the S7 has chipset level encryption activated by default which will want a pin / password before booting back up after each and every reboot.

Advertisement