Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Comments

We had about €500 worth put in the tank last week. We last filled in Sept. of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ohhhh that does sound high.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    It'd be well worth investigating the level of insulation in the house. Particularly old attic insulation which will settle over time and lose effectiveness.
    The house was extensively enlarged and renovated about 10 years ago. I re-insulated the attic as best I could a few months ago (horrible job) but, due to it's shape (house is on a bend in the street), dormer windows etc., and the very inaccessible nature of the shallow attic, it impossible to insulate it fully. It's also attached at each end to other houses which one would assume whould make it less exposed. (It has 20 radiators which I suppose in above average).

On the plus side, the integral garage is heated which is perfect for my bikes after a wet ride. :D
    That's madness. If it's a forever home you should investigate connecting to the gas network..
    Yes, I've considered that as we had gas in all previous houses - not sure how practical it is if it's not immediately available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Yes, I've considered that as we had gas in all previous houses - not sure how practical it is if it's not immediately available.

If other houses on your street have it then its usually handy enough. You would need to change the heating system though. I do some work with GNI so could get you the right persons number if you ever wanted to investigate further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Early title nomination for next iteration of the thread: Wishbone Ash’s plumbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If other houses on your street have it then its usually handy enough...
    The houses on each side have oil tanks. Must sus out others.
    Early title nomination for next iteration of the thread: Wishbone Ash’s plumbing.
    LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's madness. If it's a forever home you should investigate connecting to the gas network.

A would be bike thief took my bike out of Aldi tonight, I stopped in to buy a Co2 inflator cos I forgot mine, I'd brought the bike in with me and was watching it the whole time and watched in disbelief as a guy wheeled it out the door and down the escalator. He just got the front door when he was suddenly slammed to the ground and ended up with my shin across his neck until the guards arrived.

I have a photo of my knee holding him down but probably not allowed post it..

East Wall? I'm paranoid even washing my bikes outside the house there. There's always some little scheisse riding a clearly stolen bike to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There is deffo a gas line running by there. €250 for the connection.

You'd just need some jiggery pokery done with the boiler and hearing system.

P_1 wrote: »
    East Wall? I'm paranoid even washing my bikes outside the house there. There's always some little scheisse riding a clearly stolen bike to be seen

Yep Eastwall, I'd brought the bike up the two escalators, I hadn't been able to relax with no pump so went in the get the inflator. Didn't take my eyes off the bike though thankfully.

Yep Eastwall, I'd brought the bike up the two escalators, I hadn't been able to relax with no pump so went in the get the inflator. Didn't take my eyes off the bike though thankfully.

Next time you're stuck there with no lock, leave it in with the lads in the Spar on Church Road, they'll keep an eye on it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For anyone considering upgrading the energy efficiency of their home, there are grants available from the SEAI. https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Next time you're stuck there with no lock, leave it in with the lads in the Spar on Church Road, they'll keep an eye on it for you.

Also worth having on a bike you don't generally carry a lock for:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/hiplok-z-lok-combo-EV338781

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we pulled out the oil boiler out of our house and had a gas one put in - quotes ranged from €2k to €3.5k, and we actually went with the most expensive.the lowball quotes were cash in hand, no breakdown of the work, etc., didn't get a great vibe off them.

that €3.5k included replacing boiler, immersion tank, full flush of the system and a few other bits and bobs.
    then a few months later, electric ireland put us on a customer research panel and installed a fancy heating control system for free.

we burn about €250 worth of firewood a year, and the last 12 months gas bill was €650. not bad for a 1950s four bed semi.

we pulled out the oil boiler out of our house and had a gas one put in - quotes ranged from €2k to €3.5k, and we actually went with the most expensive.the lowball quotes were cash in hand, no breakdown of the work, etc., didn't get a great vibe off them.

that €3.5k included replacing boiler, immersion tank, full flush of the system and a few other bits and bobs.
    then a few months later, electric ireland put us on a customer research panel and installed a fancy heating control system for free.

we burn about €250 worth of firewood a year, and the last 12 months gas bill was €650. not bad for a 1950s four bed semi.

Which fancy system did you get? I got Climote when it was launched, brilliant thing but it seems to have been left behind by the offerings out there now. It's done through sim card so I have to pay a sim registration fee every year

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Also worth having on a bike you don't generally carry a lock for:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/hiplok-z-lok-combo-EV338781

I don't bring a lock because I never go in anywhere and leave the bike locked, I was at most 20feet away from it and thought I would be ok with it actually being inside the shop. Lads in work saying I should have battered him but no craic in that, I'd say he's sore enough from being slammed to the ground and now he has hassle from the Guards and a court date to skip...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Which fancy system did you get?
    honeywell total connect comfort. every rad has its own wirelessly controlled thermostat, so we essentially have 11 zones in the house. can be controlled by smartphone; one benefit for us is that if we light the stove, the heating auto-balances against it so we've no worries about leaving the heating on or fiddling around with heating settings in the rooms with the stoves.
    also, the heating connection to the immersion tank is on a controlled valve too, so we usually have no 'loss' to the tank when the heating is on - or can easily turn the gas on just to heat the tank and nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cost comparsion of different fuels on second page of attached.

A new more efficient engine is going to be cheaper to run irrespective of fossil fuel used.

Given WA usage I'd look at
    *checking air tightness. Improving door/window seals and caulking frames can help a lot
    *are windows decent & properly fitted
    *is house built with cavity block; pretty common in Dublin and limits insulation to external or dry lining
    *you can pump hard to reach areas although you might regret it when trying to access services some day!!
    *have you an open fire? If so fit stove or block it with baloon(leave vent pipe to side). Remember to take down once a year for the universal sky fairy
    *install heating controls; bedrooms don't need to be as warm or heated as often as living space
    *do house occupiers like baths/long hot showers? Water is 1000 times denser than air and is expensive to heat

There are grants for boiler, controls, insulation, before & after BER.

Which fancy system did you get?
    also, one benefit of our system is that it benefits from, but does not depend on an internet connection. there have been cases (not in ireland IIRC) of peoples' heating systems being bricked when the provider turned off the servers.

I don't bring a lock because I never go in anywhere and leave the bike locked, I was at most 20feet away from it and thought I would be ok with it actually being inside the shop.

Yeah, I use my Brompton for local trips (built-in lights, spare inner tube stuffed into the top tube, has a frame pump and I've cable-tied small wrench and tyre levers under the saddle; very handy grab-and-go bike), and I don't bring a lock with me, as I can fold it and bring it with me, but I'm going to get one of those cable-tie locks, in case I'm distracted one day. Use it like a nurse's lock, so the thief has to carry the bike away, and gives you more time to catch up with them. Weighs almost nothing, and you can just thread it through the saddle rails or something like that.

also, one benefit of our system is that it benefits from, but does not depend on an internet connection. there have been cases (not in ireland IIRC) of peoples' heating systems being bricked when the provider turned off the servers.

The Twitter account @internetof**** is worth following for things like that.

(**** being s h i t)

• Advertisement

yep, i already follow him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've been using an ad blocker for years.

Now Cyclingnews won't let you view the website if an ad blocker is active.

The w**kers! (<<< totally unjustified I know!)

actually, cycling weekly uploaded a video about how they make money a few months back - at least it's an attempt to show transparency:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOBnH0xqEUw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've been using an ad blocker for years.

Now Cyclingnews won't let you view the website if an ad blocker is active.

Lots of websites have started to do it. I'm sure there's plugins out there that get you around it though.

I don't like the ads, but I do see the hypocrisy in me wanting content from websites without contributing to their funding, but more often than not not enough for me to disable my blocker.

The Guards phoned me about the bike thief last night. They actually charged him last night with theft and criminal damage cos of a scratch on my bike - the Guard told me to look hard and find a mark so he could add criminal damage.

Very quick turnaround I thought.

And yesterday's good work of stopping a bike thief has been undone... went out today after work, bib, jersey and business socks... forgot to put socks in my bag

i have managed to introduce myself to the concept of countersteering - an interesting concept, and one that i think cyclists largely do unconsciously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc

TLDW - controlling your lean is a vital part of steering a bike, so for example if you want to take a left, you would briefly steer the bike right in order to pivot you into a left lean; thus allowing you to then turn left more efficiently.
    if you were to simply swing the handlebars left, the bike would pitch to the right, exactly the motion you don't want for a left hand turn.
    needless to say, i probably have this wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

The first hundred years of the bicycle. I'll never complain about clipping in again!

Video Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i have managed to introduce myself to the concept of countersteering - an interesting concept, and one that i think cyclists largely do unconsciously.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-bicycle-problem-that-nearly-broke-mathematics/?WT.mc_id=send-to-friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm trying to find out, if a rider has been provisionally suspended for doping.
    I've got this list on U.C.I. website:

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/CleanSport/18/56/48/20180508ProvisionalsuspensionsEN.XLSX_English.pdf

It doesn't show anybody testing positive in April, but doesn't fully satisfy my curiosity.
    Can anybody point me to another site, that might give me more up to date news?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out, if a rider has been provisionally suspended for doping.
    I've got this list on U.C.I. website:

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/CleanSport/18/56/48/20180508ProvisionalsuspensionsEN.XLSX_English.pdf

It doesn't show anybody testing positive in April, but doesn't fully satisfy my curiosity.
    Can anybody point me to another site, that might give me more up to date news?

Nationally or internationally ?

RobFowl wrote: »
    Nationally or internationally ?

Internationally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Internationally.

UCI site then, they update it sporadically and without much fanfare....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Internationally.

I heard a name flagged in the last few days but it is not up there yet.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I heard a name flagged in the last few days but it is not up there yet.

Me too.

it wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

any thoughts on a local level, do people, feel a few lads are doping to win a4 etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

manafana wrote: »
    any thoughts on a local level, do people, feel a few lads are doping to win a4 etc?

I know that I am.

• Advertisement

Bilbao tomorrow, have some time to kill in the morning so I'll try me some Basque hills on a rented town bike. I reckon tomorrow's pints will be well earned. Though the weather is looking more Irish than Spanish!

Watching Tour Of Aragon highlights on demand on ES player and how Declan Quigley managed to commentate and not mention the rider with the arse out of his bibs after an earlier crash and almost full crack on show is beyond me :D

Around 24km to go for those looking for a near full moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Bilbao tomorrow!

Have a nice glass of vino!

My partner and wee one are going to fashion a sign to hold up for when the Rás passes the house next week, what do you think the lads would like to see??? My suggestion of "only 8 days to go, you're nearly there" was shot down :(

That fb page is actually hilarious. Well my 12year old boy sense of humour finds it hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

was out with friends over the weekend - one is a teacher in a secondary girl's school in dublin. was talking about the students cycling to school, and i think she said she was aware of one girl in her school who cycled.
    apart from the usual reasons i've heard about school students cycling - skirts, weight of bags etc., my friend was saying there's also the phenomenon of boys taking photos of them and putting them on a social media page called 'mots on bikes' (or something similar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

the phenomenon of boys taking photos of them and putting them on a social media page called 'mots on bikes' (or something similar).

Doesn't one of those Dutch cycling websites and/or Twitter accounts do the very same, albeit of adults?

Yeah, Mikael Colville-Andersen seemed to really start that phenomenon. I think it was "Cycle Chic", as opposed to "Copenhagenize", which is more his cycling advocacy activities. He didn't just photograph women, and it's ostensibly to show people riding stylishly in normal clothing. From what I recall, he really did photograph mostly attractive young women.

Bike Snob was pretty funny about it:
    Also, I can't help feeling as though Colville-Andersen's talk of "demystification" is at odds with the content of his site and Flickr account, which consists largely of surreptitious photographs of attractive women on bicycles, many of whom are either shot from behind or in various stages of thigh exposure. If anything, cycling in Copenhagen seems to be about some elusive state of feminine beauty and insouciant style which the rest of us can only aspire to either possess or fondle, or at least photograph from behind a lamppost or a shrub. Really, Copenhagen Cycle Chic exudes fetishism, though perhaps that's just a cultural difference. In Copenhagen secretly taking pictures of women in short skirts is "demystification," but here it's just stalking.
    https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ie/2009/12/weird-world-of-bike-advocacy-mourning.html

The Goatstown Rd is down to one lane near Our Lady’s Grove School as Gardaí deal with an overturned vehicle; however, delays are easing now both ways.
    https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

The aftermath of this looked very alarming. Bizarre thing to have happened on a relatively quiet, relatively low-speed road too (I mean, relatively quiet outside rush hour, traffic not moving quickly during rush hour).

EDIT: Occupants seem to be ok.
    https://twitter.com/NChildersMEP/status/995939067136217088/photo/1

• Advertisement
Advertisement